What is the .308 winchester good for?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nc.hunter, Jun 20, 2008.

1. nc.hunter

nc.hunter G&G Newbie

Hey guys, I know i was looking at a .30-30, but I think a .308 winchester would be better for deer, bear ECT. But I have a few questions: what is its effective range, what type of game could you hunt it with and how bad is its recoil. Mossbergs model 100 ATR in .308 sells for 274.85. Pretty cheap. Thanks.
  2. stitchclimber

stitchclimber G&G Newbie

.308 is a much better cal for dear. especially when it comes to range. While the 30-30 drops off at 100 yards, the .308 stays steady. .308 is common long range round as well. with a decent gun and scope you should have no problem taking a dear down within 300 yards.
  3. tippmann7

tippmann7 G&G Newbie

im looking into getting one myself,stevens 200, and from what iv found out from people here the recoil is very manageable and is good for deer and also black bear....you should get some good info from the guys here about it
  4. jv101

jv101 G&G Newbie

effective range is about 800+ yards (if you have the right round and the skill)

you can pretty much hunt anything from groundhogs to bear if you want. The types of rounds are endless! As for recoil i have a savage 10fp (which is a pretty heavy gun, and the recoil bad sucks, its pretty much hard plastic) you def. feel it and it will def. move you back some. I put a nice limbsaver on mine. which cut the recoil in half!

as for the mossberg ATR. dont know much about that. but the savage 10fp and remington 700 are both AMAZING guns. You could also check out the weatherby vangard and howa 1500 (i went on www.budgunshop.com to look at all the guns and prices)

edit: may take you some gettting use to. but sunday im going out to about 400ish yards to see what i can hit w/ some crappy $15 winchester ammo lol. ive put about 200+rds through my 10fp and still cant do overlapping shots. but im using lowgrade ammo so w/e lol... .308 FTW!
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  5. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

You can use the .308 for just about any game in NA, and it will harvest game farther than you or I can shoot! while having a very low amount of recoil.
  6. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

One of the best all-around calibers for game in N.A. You can take everything on this continent with it, although I'd prefer something a bit larger for Moose and large bears. It has much better ballistics and bullet selection is staggering compared to the .30-30.
  7. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin G&G Newbie

Years ago I had a nice WW .308 BA wish I'd have kept. The .308 will come very close to the '06 except for very heavy bullets. It's a very fine catridge and most sniper rifles are .308.
  8. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Suspended

I'll pass on the trolling questions you like to ask.
  9. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

The .308 is really . . .

a replacement for the .30-06 in American military rifles as the desire was to have a common round for the NATO community. It was known worldwide more as the 7.62 mm NATO in the 1950's.

I suggest you go to the Remington website where you can find a nice ballistic comparison program that will allow you compare the .308 to any other rifle cartridge you desire. You will learn it has a big power advantage over the .30-30 yet is not quite as powerful as the .30-06 given equivalent bullet weights/designs.

The .308 is very popular among deer hunters. Naturally, it has found use
    for target shooting, smaller game such as antelope and coyotes, plus some people have used it for elk and other larger game. It is also in great use by police SWAT units.

Personally, I like the 7mm/08 which is the 7mm round (usually a 140 grain bullet) in the .308 cartridge case and would shoot a .30-06 rather than a .308 if the choice were just between the two.
  10. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

.308 Win

I have a Stevens .308 win and I took a seven point [70 yds] with it this year and still have deer in the freezer. It's doing 1" inch to touching holes with hand loads of 150- 180 gr loads powered by Varget. You have 4" drop at 200 and 14" drop at 300. Fine caliber, plenty of range and good B/C. Still cheap, but widely wanted round. Very manageable recoil, good knock down, one of the first "short mags". The Stevens is a very accurate, brush gun, or sniper build platform start. Mine wears a 4x16x40 A/O and the Limbsaver from a Win mod 70 fits perfect. They are coming out with some stocks soon for it. Federal gold match or Black Hills to start. I like this little cameoed rifle better than my former A-bolt. Four shots before cool downs.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  11. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

In my opinion the .308 winchester is just about the perfect deer cartridge. The 150gr load drops deer like a hammer. Never had one run far when hit with one.
  12. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

jv101 sorry to hear your 308 was ruff on you. I've found mine comfortable to shoot.

nc the 308 would be an excellent choice.

Ron AKA come on feller the young man is narrowing down the perfect rifle, and he's just doing the home work.
    And that's what were here for is to help.
    A.H
  13. jv101

jv101 G&G Newbie

ark.- yeh at first it was ruff. but a limbsaver and some lead shot quickly took care of that lol. not im picking off grounhogs at an easy 200yards. i am still not getting the groupings i want at 100yards (which are about .5-1 inch) im thinking on picking up some federal gold match
  14. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

jv thats some pretty good shoot'in already WOW. !!!
  15. jv101

jv101 G&G Newbie

lol thanks, i dont get it. i can take out ground at longer ranges....but cant get a good 100yard grouping lol
  16. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

the 30 is an awesome round. Recoil? Well what are you used to shooting? If its something like 223/556 then yes recoil is going to seem rough. If you are used to shootng something like a 300 win mag then its going to feel like a kitten. Go shoot some 30-06 and 7mm mag, get used to those then pick up a 308, it will feel fantastic. To me its the just right sweet spot for recoil and power. Also you can always put a muzzle break on it. My steyer SBS that i have on lay away comes with a muzzle break on it, I can not wait to shoot that thing. The sad part is im going to have to wait 2 months to finish paying it off its exspensive.
  17. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

308 win 7.62 nato

hey nc. hunter....... you've started another thread...... you say youre looking at a 30-30 now.... i thought you settled on a 270, or maybe a 243..... i suspect, as you learn more about the different rifleings, you will buy more than just one rifle.....

you asked what the 308 is good for..... i was a marine in an infantry batalion in viet nam, and i can tell you that the 308, which was originally the 7.62 nato round is extremely accurate at long ranges....

since you seem so curious about different rifleings, you might consider purchasing a book called: CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD , by Frank C Barnes.... also, you might buy a reloading manual..... (a Speer manual is a good one.......) these books can give you a better idea of what is available in rifle cartridges, and also they have a lot of info about what the various cartridges do...... there is no one best rifle..... the best rifle is the one you shoot the best....

fyi, the last thread you started went at least 4 pages, which indicates you ask good questions.......
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  18. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

I know of a troll who likes to post anti-gun, and anti-hunting drivel around the forum :09:
  19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

What is your trigger setting?Often I find I have a very creepy trigger with heavy pull when I can make one perfect shot but cant group good.A gunsmith wouldn't break you to do a trigger job and it sure makes a difference when the trigger does the same thing every time. sam.
  20. jv101

jv101 G&G Newbie

still factory setting. which i believe is 4lbs on the savage 10fp isnt it? i have the tool to adjust it, just never have, and dont know how light is too light