what is the best 22lr ammo for coyotes?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JohnD, Mar 16, 2002.

1. JohnD

JohnD Member

Which is the most effective. The only coyotes I have shot with the 22lr were with solid 40grn. One droped instantly at 150yards and one took 5 shots at 30yards, both were running and the one that took 5 shots only made 10yards till he stoped and I nailed him in the head. I wish they would make a 40grn with a short hollow point so it would penatrate and expand to maby .35 cal.

Any body use stingers?. I do not think they would make it trough the sholder bone at 75yards.

I have a .270 and that is reserved for the long shots passt 150 yards. But at $16 for 20 it gets a bit costly to keep yourself practiced up enough to shoot good in the field. But the gun is verry acurate. under 1" at 100 yards with win power points. and the .270 is a bit over efective. Almost puts them in half!!!
  2. cz40va

cz40va G&G Newbie

While a .22lr will kill a coyote instantly. My opinion is that it way underpowered for coyotes. I prefer the .223 myself. By handloading I can keep the cost quite reasonable and I am able to enjoy another hobby also. If you insist on using the .22lr check out the Remington Yellowjacket(hp and Viper . I think the Viper would hold togeather the best.
    These are just my opinions. Another good option is the .22 Hornet.
    Whatever you choose, you owe it to the game pursued to make a clean and humane kill.
  3. JohnD

JohnD Member

Any body try making flat points out of solids?

Do they expand enough to make a differnce?

cci blazer is sort of flat point do they expand?
  4. duck223

duck223 G&G Newbie

I've had good time's using a 22 wmr,and baiting them.
  5. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

I like the 22wmr I have one a marlin bolt action and have had good luck with Winchester super-x ammo it expands well and retains it's weight. I don't know about coyote's but it's good medicene hurt and crippled stray dogs that wander up out in the country.
  6. Mike southers

Mike southers G&G Newbie

.22-250 with Hornady 55 grain VMax. Best 'yote medicine I have found. I prefer clean and humane. Hate seeing guys shoot what they call "spinners". It's cruel.
  7. JohnD

JohnD Member

I guess I am just wishing for somthing that aint going to work. I guess I should just get a reloading kit and shoot them with my .270. It don't mater where I hit them with that gun they are dead. I once shot one a 200yards just when I pulled the trigger the thing steped forward, nailed him in the guts. I swear there was a 6-7" hole in him and he had no guts left they all fell out the hole!!. He droped on the spot and did not move, I shot him in the head twice when I went to get him with a 22lr rifle just to make shure.
  8. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

If you can shoot 'em close, and want to use .22LR, you might try Aguila's .22 SSS (Sniper Sub Sonic). It has a heavy 60 grain bullet, and is very effective on small game. I'd prefer the .22 Hornet, myself.
  9. JohnD

JohnD Member

I live in canada and have limited access to fancy new ammo from any country other than the usa. I wish they would make somthing like a 45-50 grain with a mildly expanding hollow point that does not fragment and that is loaded to the gills like stingers.
  10. JohnD

JohnD Member

heck I just found the bullet that I decribed. CCI is making a 40grn gold dot controlled expanin hollow point that is traveling at 1435fps, That would be 180 or so ftlbs of energy!!! Same price as the stingers. That should work should it not?
  11. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

This is part of one of my posts from another thread but it also applies here...

I like to shoot Remington Cyclones-their high speed hollow point as they call it. It usually does the job on red and grey squirrels, I have never went after anything bigger with my .22. I wouldn't recommend Remingtons hollow points that come in the 500 round bulk boxes( the bullets are brass coated or something). I bought a pack just to try them out and every round makes its own unique sound when fired and almost every-other round- the bullet was loose in the casing! Maybe I bought a bad box, but I am sticking with the Cyclones. Just my two cents...
  12. Big Dog

I saw a product listing today that Aguila has introduced the "Goliath" round - a 75 grain .22 WMR load. I haven't gotten any yet, but it sounds interesting.
  13. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Hey Big Dog do you know the velocity on the Goliath round? Sounds like a real thumper.
  14. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Big dog hit the nail on the head a few threads ago.
    No matter what 22 LR used the game is up close and personal. If I could only have 2 guns on this earth it would probably be the 12ga shotgun and a 22LR of some sort. Keep your shots close and dump as many quality bullets in the bread basket as possible. ( i wouldn't count on a one shot stop) if you have a hard time getting yotes in close (15~20meters) or are not into that much of an adrenilin overload whack 'em with a bigger stick.
    Incedently I really like the Aguila stuff. They have a speedy round & a neat 22LR that has no powder, just fires on the primer compound. I need to get the SSS's yet. CCI gold dot combo, I'm drooling now. hope it's as good as the hype.
    P.S.
    I have a buddy who hunts yotes with his Mossberg 12ga bolt slug gun. He pays a pretty penny for each harvest, however, he is quite the braggert come dear season albeit well deserved (he practiced)
  15. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

I've shot some of the Aguila SSS's they are a hunk of lead at 60 grains. When they hit something your are reassured by a loud thud. They are a 22 short case topped off with a long bullet. I paid about $6 for a box. I don't know really what I will use them for they shoot low becuase they are subsonic. I guess I like the 22mag for chores that need more thump. I hear that Aguila is going to produce a 60 grain 22mag round called the Goliath. now that's something to work with.
  16. Big Dog

I'm a fan of Aguila's .22 ammo. I even like the smell! Kinda fruity. I usually get it from a vendor at a gunshow, but have found it online:

Gold City Gun And Cartridge Company has the Aguila ammo.
    Search on: www.22ammo.com

from their online listing:
    COMING IN FALL 2002
    11513 Goliath (Heavy weight 22 Mag) (no velocity given)
    11514 .223 Rimfire
    11515 .17 Rimfire w/firearms avialable
  17. RMXMAN34

RMXMAN34 G&G Newbie

About a year and a half ago, I woke up one morning and was drinking my coffee, when I looked out the back door, and saw 3 coyotes running in the field about 350 yards away, by the time I grabbed my .264 and shells, and came back, they were already over the hill and headed strait for the cattle. Being winter, it was calving season, and I had a pretty good idea what was on their mind. By the time I got dressed and got back there (no more than 15 minutes) two newborns were already dead, both heifers. When you loose $500 in 15 minutes, it gets real personal, real quick. A .22 in my book really is not big enough to do the job, but at that time, I would have gladly gut shot them and let them suffer. I know this a bad attitude, but thats the way I felt at the time. I did manage to get one of the SOB's when he came back the next morning to find his kill about 200 yards closer to the house. At dawn he was there feeding and never heard the back door open, about 375 yards away. The 120 grn, ballistic tip took him clean, and as is custom in our area, I hung the carcass on the fence to let the other two know what awaited them as well. Unfortonatly, it worked to good, and I haven't seen the other two since.
  18. JohnD

JohnD Member

Yes I know those coyotes are real *******s I have shot 5 over a dead cow (they did not kill it it just died) and you can not tell me they do not have a taste for domestic animals. Anyway at 50 yards a 22lr semi auto works but not the long range shots even if you hit them. They are tough bad shot placement even with a high power don't work so well. I shot at one off hand at about 150yards and I do not know what happend ether he steped forward when i pulled the trigger or my aim was off(243 wincester). anyway i hit him in the spine just in front of the back legs well he took off on his front wile leaving a gigantic blood trail. eventualy I caught up to him thinking he was dead, Nope he tryed to bite me so I shot him again. But they do take calfs before they even drop. you lost more than $500 that day think of the expence for feeding the cows and what they would of brought come fall if you were goin to sell them. Even more if you were going to keep them for breeding. With calfs they tend to not even kill them they just start eating. You should of fired warning shots then you may not of lost the calfs.
  19. tW!tcH

tW!tcH G&G Newbie

I'm sorry if I am being critical, but why would you want to shoot a round that requires more than one shot. I always strive to make a clean, humane kill. Meaning that it is one well placed shot in an appropriate caliber for the game I am after.
  20. JBS

JBS G&G Newbie

Did you notice that this thread's last post is almost 5 years old?