What is the diference between .22 mag. and .22LR

Discussion in '.22/rimfire' started by Russian Rifle, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Russian Rifle

Russian Rifle G&G Newbie

What is the diference between .22 magnum and .22 LR? Can you shoot them out of the same gun? Is one more powerfull than the other? Also are .22 shorts less powerfull? Can they be shot from the same gun?
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

.22 Magnum is a Higher pressure, longer and larger diameter case than a .22LR.
    NO...You cannot shoot them in the same gun...2 different chamber sizes.
    .22 Short is about 1/2 the power of a .22 Long Rifle.
    . 22 Magnum is the most powerful...hence the name "Magnum".

Rich
  3. Russian Rifle

Russian Rifle G&G Newbie

Which (LR or magnum) has cheaper ammo? Which are more expensive Magnum or LR .22 rifles? Is one or the other more common?
  4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Sounds like you could stand a "field trip" to your local Gun Dealer's store, (NOT Wally World).

Seeing and holding the different ammo and the guns they feed would be a worthwhile experience for you.
  5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Why am I seeing a pattern here in Posts ??? All these why, and how much Threads...
  6. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

- .22LR is cheaper
    - .22Mag is more expensive

- .22LR is more common then .22Mag

As far as rifles go, I personally have never seen a .22Mag rifle. I own a .22LR rifle which can fire .22LR, .22Long, .22Short. That is mine can do it, not saying all can as I am not sure if all .22LR rifles can shoot .22Long & .22Short.
  7. bigpistolnut

bigpistolnut G&G Newbie

Well I admit some questions are pretty basic,I for one am glad to see them.Some people have not had the benifit of growing up around guns thier whole life and now are getting involved and have questions.That is good for the future,maybe we will not have to fight touth and nail to keep them.

The only stupid question is one not asked!!!
  8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

From memory,the .22 "WMR"=Winchester Magnum Rifle was a longer,more powerful version of the .22 "WRF"which was introduced in 1890 and Winchester introduced the .22WMR in 1959 for the Model 24 Savage combination gun but didn't use in their own rifle until the late 1960,s or 1961 in the Win Mod#61 Win.I seem to remember some Derringer type handguns coming out chambered for the cartridge about '65 and about the same time some conversion cylinders for revolvers.About the same time there were a couple attempts at auto-loading handguns and rifles but with poor sucess because the cartridge built higher pressure than was normally used in blowback actions.There should be more info someplace like wiki or cartridge history.I was someplace else at this time and wasn't intrested in the .22Mag until the '70,s so I only have part of the info.The .22lr could be fired in the mag chamber but would probably split the case and there is a long freebore which would let the bullet wobble before it hit riflings.(about 4",s as I recall.Besides,it would probably damage the firing pin which is set wider than a .22lr is.The .22,s,l,and lr are all safe to fire in a .22lr chamber but the shorter,less powerful .22s or l doesn't have length enough to work in most lr actions.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  9. tx_shooter

tx_shooter G&G Newbie

Good bit of info there. I only have one 22wmr a Savage 24J "fox and quail" combo gun. 22wmr and 20 ga over and under. Really awesome gun left by my grandfather, I went down and shot and cleaned everything in the safe last weekend and hadn't seen anything like that one before.
    And yes a 22wmr will split a 22lr case. I havnt done this but a friend who went to the range with me kept having the problem till I looked on his barrel and told him it was a mag.
  10. Russian Rifle

Russian Rifle G&G Newbie

What is the effective range of a .22 magnum? What is the effective range of a .22 LR? What is the biggest game you could humanley kill with a .22 magnum? What is the biggest game you could humanley kill with a .22 LR?
  11. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

To answer the question about whether the 22 magnum shells can be shot out of the same gun as a 22 LR really depends on the gun. They make revolvers with cylinders that are interchangeable with the particular gun, so in that case yes, but no others.
  12. tx_shooter

tx_shooter G&G Newbie

Range depends on ammo and gun. I can reach out and hit a business card at 135yds with match grade ammo in a 22LR. Standard ammo your looking at bout 60 or 70 accurately. Mag has a lil better range but with standard ammo looking about 100yds maybe less.
    Both I use for varmit guns. Heard people taking out coyotes with 22 mag. But wouldn't go much larger than that with either gun unless your a great shot. Usually use my 22lr on small stuff coons, squirrels, bunnies, things like that. I don't have the experience some of these other guys do so we may see other answers.
  13. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Better they ask how and why then to Experament on their own .
  14. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Better to go get books on Guns , gun magazines,etc. and READ them where knowledge can be attained and retained...That how you Learn more and faster!
    Pictures help too...as well as a trip to a gun store.
  15. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

Atleast they are on here asking questions though! I know I have learned alot in here from doing both reading other posts and posting my own questions.

Unlike some who come in here claiming to know it all and hunt grizzlys with FMJ out of an AK47 :D

If your totally new to guns, I would go for the .22lr first. Its going to be cheeper to shoot, and ammo is usually very very easy to find. I know .22mag is too, but once you get a gun and get some safety training and go to the range your going to want to do ALOT of shooting :D

What exactly are you wanting to do with this gun? WHat kind of game (sounded like you wanted to hunt) are you wanting to go after?
  16. Russian Rifle

Russian Rifle G&G Newbie

I already have a Mosin Nagant but I would like to have a .22 to hunt small game (mainly fox, coon, and squirrel) and use for cheap target practice. I would also like to have a shotgun for turkey hunting (I don't think it is legal to hunt Turkey in Pennsylvannia with a rifle).
  17. EtherialOne

EtherialOne G&G Regular

I would agree with the general consensus that I wouldn't want to hunt anything more than the size of a racoon or woodchuck with .22lr for the most part, the biggest benefit .22lr has over .22 wmrf or .17 hmr (even more so) is that it is five times less expensive to shoot (cheap copper clad ammo can be had for under $20 a brick of 500, with about the cheapest being $10 a box of 50 for .22 Mag), and you have a fairly wide variety of shells you can shoot esp. if it's not an autoloader- all the way from the 40gr high velocity down to CB shorts which make no more noise than a pump up air rifle. So to me the best choice would be the standard .22lr first, followed by something a little larger as a secondary, Just my opinion.
  18. tx_shooter

tx_shooter G&G Newbie

Dont know that its legal anywhere to hunt them with a rifle, besides a muzzle loader. As stated 22lr is cheaper and widely available. Its nice to spend 20 bucks and get to blow off 500 rounds. I have quite a few 22lr and its my favorite round by far i love shooting for cheap and the rifles themselves are usually cheaper which is great on my budget.
  19. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Depends on the shooter...the distance...

I've dropped coyote out to around 150 yards with .22WMR.
    Coyote is the largest I feel will be DRT humanely...
    Deer have been taken with it as well, but that is currently illegal (circa 1989).

.22LR is good for small critters...squirrel, rabbit, birds, etc...
    Cow...2 feet away...skull X shot...equals dead cow
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch G&G Newbie

You can't shoot them out of the same chamber. Case diameter of the mag is bigger. The 22 mag bullet sets inside the case where the L/R has a heeled bullet. Both bullets have the overall same diameter.