What is the purpose of a faux suppressor?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Loveguns, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Loveguns

Loveguns G&G Newbie

They don't actually slow the bullet down and reduce the noise, right? Are they just for show? Why would people spend a few hundred dollars on something like that? I'm confused..
  2. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Because they can. And they think it looks cool. It's a (sorta) free country.
  3. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

It's called "tacticool".
  4. Loveguns

Loveguns G&G Newbie

So they don't have any expansion chambers or baffles? Seems pretty pointless to me. If you use subsonic ammunition without a suppressor is it a lot louder than it would be with one? Just curious, I don't really understand why if that's the case.
  5. RMTactical

RMTactical G&G Newbie

There is no purpose.
  6. Parrothead

Parrothead G&G Newbie

One reason I've seen that I think is legit is to keep from having to register something as a "short barreled rifle" with the ATF under NFA. If you've got a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches, you can have a faux suppressor permanently attached (pinned in place etc) to bring the barrel length over 16 inches.

Sure, you could have a 16 inch barrel installed, but if it's something that normally doesn't have one (M4 carbine with 14 inch barrel or Krinkov AK with under 16 inch) you can have the original configuration on the weapon and it just looks like a suppressor on the end :)
  7. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

They are simply for looks...just like all the other tacticool items that some folks adorn their rifles with...what's interesting to me is that some folks will spend more on tricking out the rifle than they paid for the gun itself. Seems silly to me, but it's their money.
  8. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Virtually unheard of in the UK, cos we have no bother getting real ones!
  9. Loveguns

Loveguns G&G Newbie

The real ones have their purpose. If you're hunting and miss you will scare away your target and all near-by animals, which probably wouldn't happen if your gun had a suppressor.
  10. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Yeah, y'all just have trouble getting permits to HAVE a gun :) Then all kinds of fun trying to FIND a gun to buy :D
  11. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Once you know how the system works and how to work the system there are very few problems. Finding The Gun to buy is the same no matter where you live.
  12. RePete

RePete G&G Newbie

Sh*tz and giggles factor.
  13. Deep13

Deep13 G&G Regular

Faux coolness.
  14. oobernoodle

oobernoodle G&G Newbie

dont get either

hey I just joined this forum, how the hell do you customize your avatar, I keep trying different things and nothing works. Oh and wunhunglo, rub it in why dont ya...lol:sad2:
  15. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

Oobernoodle: From the dropdown menu at the top click on Quick Links - Edit your Details. then on the left side there will be an option called Edit Avatar. You can upload a pic from your machine there.

I have never seen a faux suppressor. Seems like a waste of cash. I suppose if you wanted to get your barrel over 16 inches...but that seems like a silly way to do it.

Faux Coolness cracked me up. Probably the best answer here.
  16. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Enthusiast

Parrothead it right about it. that's the main reason that I've seen them advertised for, but why you would want a shorty, just so you could lengthen it with a fake suppressor is beyond me.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  17. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Other than to get the barrel length legal, the only time Ive seen them with a legitimate purpose was to add weight to the muzzle end of the weapon for more controllability. But other than that, no they are just for the looks.
  18. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

one came with my MAC 10. it was handy to use as a hand hold on that short weapon. It was kinda long & bulky so I got a barrel extension with a heat shield which worked better as it wasn't as long and didn't burn my hands. I always thought the phony supperessor was a dumb idea so I got rid of it.
  19. maddogg

maddogg G&G Regular

It's like putting a wig on a pig.