What kind of shotty (and what kind of loads) do you keep for HD?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by krazykelley, Aug 28, 2009.

1. krazykelley

krazykelley G&G Newbie

I've currently got a Franchi SAS 12 with a red dot sight loaded with 9 rounds #4 buck. I'm curious to hear what you guys use.
  2. andy*

andy* G&G Newbie

I keep a .12ga sidexside Spartan. loaded with #4 buck plus 5 more in a stock ammo sleeve. Not the best shotgun, but easy on the wallet ( I bought it used ) and not one to worry about when it ends up inpounded if I ever have to use it as intended. Andy
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Winchester Model 12 Riot gun loaded with 00 Buckshot and slugs...
    (when you care to send the Very Best ! lol)
  4. trustnoone.45

trustnoone.45 G&G Newbie

Remington 870 4 buck
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Remington 870 Express 12 gauge, with #6 birdshot in the mag tube, three #000 Buck and three slugs on the Side Saddle shell carrier.
    Barrel shortened to 20 inches, to fit the 8-round extended mag tube, rifle sights, folding stock and front PG grip. Thirteen more #6 loads on the sling loops.
    I live in a suburb, and those #6 loads will tear a critter up close-in, while limiting 'collateral damage' further away.
    This shotgun will put three slugs into a three inch circle at 25 yards - fine enough for what I need.
  6. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

My Lil Maverick 12ga. is loaded up with Remton 00 3'' Magnums. I sure hope I never have to use it for Home Defence either due to the nasty mess I'd have clean up afterwards.

For those that have'nt shot an 18" or a tad longer, barrelled shotgun before .

You'll be surprised that the buck shot goes a pretty good ways before it starts to spead. Evan though it starts to spead when it exits the barrel, it does'nt spead as fast as you think it would.

I can't imagine the impact it would have, say at 21 ft.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  7. Krag 30-40

Krag 30-40 G&G Newbie

Mossberg 590 Mil-Spec with ghost ring sights 4-buck and last three in magazine slugs.
  8. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

[​IMG]

Mossberg 535 Turkey Tactical...usually 5 00Buck loaded, with 5 31/2'' #5 turkey shells in the buttstock. And a bandoleer with 13 buckshot shells and 12 slugs next to it.
    Like ol' AH said...it don't scatter much. I get 4''x7" groups with mine...20" barrel, IC choke, 23/4" 00Buck, at 10 yards.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  9. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

Ithica m37 with 00.
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I don't have a "shotty",I don't have a "hoody" either.I can't go out with the "baddies"and shoot the "streeties"up.But I do have several shotguns and several handguns in various caliber,mostly .45acp,and feel confident I can defend myself and mine.I'm not too keen on shotguns in tight places but if I felt I needed a shotgun,I believe I could find one. ,,,sam.
  11. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Enthusiast

Mossberg 835 3 1/2" 1 buck.
  12. the_harbinger

the_harbinger Suspended

mossberg 500 rolling thunder with m4 style adjustable stock. i use seller and bellot 12 pellet 00 buck
  13. ArkansasHunter

Of the few guns I own I enjoy handleing and looking at my Lil Short barreld cannon the most, but it is still my newest gun LOL.

I added sling studs, Sling and the elastic band that holds 5 rounds of 3" 00.
    Thats all the custom stuff it needs though a light could come in handy.
  14. Pyro01

Pyro01 G&G Newbie

All I have at the ready is a WInchester 1300, I can't afford the home defense barrel for it in 18" at the moment. I usually keep 0000 buck at the ready. However, I was in a local gun shop today, and sitting on the counter was a a box of 5 shells with rubber balls in them, it was three bucks a box, needless to say I bought 1 box. Effective from 4-32 yards, it's designed to be a less-than-lethal option to home defense. I don't think I'd load them up in my gun if I was inside my house and the bad guy was in here with me, I'd use the 0000 buck for that. But if I wanted someone to get the hell off my property, I'd use it. I'll have to take a picture later and upload it, they're pretty cool if I do say so myself. Now that I talk about them, I think I might go back tomorrow and buy the rest of the case, just so I can have some of it laying around. $3 is dirt cheap.
  15. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Plain Jane Remington 870 loaded with slugs/00 Buck
  16. ArkansasHunter

Your post reminds of Flubber. I wonder if you fired off one of those rubber balls in the house if it would go to bonceing around all over the house LOL
  17. Pyro01

Pyro01 G&G Newbie

God, I watched that movie so long ago. I liked the original better. I wonder how badly it would hurt to get hit by one of those. Probably 4-6x more than it would be to get hit by a paintball. So if someone were on your lawn refusing to get off even after you got the shotgun pointed at them, would the only acceptable time to use force is if they charged you or something? I have no question on what I'd do if they were in the house, but what would be the proper way of handling that situation? Having non-lethal ammunition is a good alternative to even using birdshot on an un-cooperative individual? I would hate to take a human life especially if it can be avoided.
  18. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Enthusiast

ithaca m37 12 ga. with 18" deerslayer brl. 3 00 buckshot and 2 slugs. someone comes into my house i aint messing around.
  19. ArkansasHunter

^ Mark that would be a whole lot un-nerveing to me being woke up in the wee hours of the night or anytime hearing someone in my house.
    I would need a shotgun due to I'd prolly be shakeing so bad LOL !!! But I ain't go'in to mess around either other than maybe in my P.J's LOL !!!

Home Defence shotguns ROCK and Gitter done !!!
  20. oilfield_trash

oilfield_trash G&G Newbie

870 w/ 2 slugs followed by 5 #00. Side saddle carrier has 2 slugs and 4 #00. Ghost ring sights and such too.