What's a good hunting Rifle for a beginner?

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by MKultra, Jul 1, 2010.

1. MKultra

MKultra G&G Newbie

I would like to buy an all purpose hunting rifle and was wondering what my options are. I would like to use it to hunt deer, and other game. My budget is under $1500 and very general requirements are:

Fair to good accuracy
    Can accessories
    Common ammo (Use cheap ammo is good to)
    Can mount a good scope

I have shooting experience but that's from a military background like M-16's and 60's so I have an idea of how to shoot. Just looking for an overall rifle.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Something that fits the shooter well & caliber selection that can be handled comfortably, preferebly one that can grow with the shooter.
  3. franchi

franchi G&G Newbie

you cant go wrong with a rem 700 in .308. you can get a ar15 type hunting rifle if you like the style of the m16. a vanguard in .308 will do great for this.
  4. Kentucky Fan

Kentucky Fan G&G Newbie

SKS and lots of practice ammo.
  5. Kentucky Fan

Kentucky Fan G&G Newbie

Or a marlin lever action 30-30.
  6. MKultra

MKultra G&G Newbie

The rem 700 looks pretty good. I've fired SKS's and they are rubbish.
  7. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

8. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well,

for a beginner I advise one of my favorite calibers which is the .243 Winchester - great accuracy round, low recoil, good for anything up to and including deer.

The new Marlin bolt action rifles are affordable, with your budget you can get a good scope with money left over, and they have a really good reputation for accuracy.
  9. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Enthusiast

Also depends on where you are hunting. Dense forest, no really long shots? Open country where you need to reach out there for a shot? Circumstances and area would help.

But with a $1500 budget, you could probably fill both those areas with a couple of used rifles and have enough left over for a fair amount of ammo.
  10. Range Rat

Range Rat G&G Newbie

I like the suggestion of the .308 in a Remington 700.

You might want to at least look at the Savage line of bolt-action hunting rifles. I bought a Savage two years ago and have been very happy with it. They are not all that expensive compared with their competition.
  11. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Not knowing what kind you are interested in, I would suggest the Thompson Center Encore in 308 Win. You have the option of changing barrels until you find the cartridge you like or can even buy pistol barrels and grips if it's not suitable for your rifle needs. Plus they're are fun as heck and accurate.
  12. Aaronb2245

Aaronb2245 G&G Newbie

Alan made a very important point here. A great rifle/caliber combination in one area may be way less than ideal in another.
  13. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

well, you can rely on 100 words from each of us here or do some serious research. I suggest the later. I suggest you start here: RIFLE INFORMATION PAGE
    and read everything you can.

but the short answer is, with your budget, get a Rem 700 with the stock of your choice in 30-06 and a $300 scope. Go to the Remington web site and look at all the choices you have. You will keep it forever although over time you will find that you need this or that other caliber for specific things. the 30-06 will do it all. Oh, the .308 people can make a good argument too, but my take on that is that if you buy the 308 first you will wonder if you should have bought the 30-06. The other way around the question won't come up.
  14. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Newbie

you will do fine with anything made by remington thats not a 710 or770.
    weatherby vangaurds are awsome and i would suggest the sub moa's.
    marlin bolts have a very strong following and the levers they make are nice.
    savages are very nice and have adjustable triggers and now come with fully bedded stocks.
    you need to think about how long your shots are going to be, and what you want to hunt, you might not want to start with a lever if your shots are going to be more than 150 yards. and what do you want to hunt? if you want to hunt deer and stuff thats smaller like coyotes the .243 would be great. if you want to hunt bigger stuff a larger caliber is in order. if brown bear are off the menu i would suggest the .270 win. i will maintain that people who say they have lost game using this caliber either use crappy bullets and dont say it or are poor shots and dont say it.
  15. MKultra

MKultra G&G Newbie

Thank you for all the answers and indepth discussion. I am planning to use this in a more open environment so trees and brush are not an issue. I do believe in spending good money on a good scope. I will follow up after I read more about the rifles you have mentioned. Thanks again.
  16. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Welcome aboard MK
  17. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

I know people that have dropped Moose up here in Alaska with a .270 no problum. I think alot of it is shot placement. I have a Vanguard in .270 win and its a great lil gun. Doesnt really kick much, its accurate and I have always been able to find ammo for it, even back when finding ammo was hard durring the obama ammo scare.
  18. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Marlin 336, 30-30
  19. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Enthusiast

It would also help to know How far you are willing/capable of shooting. With you budget, we may be able to steer you in the right direction with gun, scope, ...ect. And still stay under you price range.

Oh,.....and welcome to G&G.
  20. BigCaneSwift

BigCaneSwift G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

You can't beat the .308 its a do everything round.From huntingto target shooting and easy to handload for.
    Savage Arms has great rifles to choose from.