Whats everyone carrying?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by Lucrosen, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Lucrosen

Lucrosen G&G Newbie

Personally carrying a Sig 226 in .40S&W, but I'm looking to get a Kimber ultra carry II in the not so distant future. Any thoughts on the Kimber? So, what is everyone else carrying?
  2. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Used to carry a Bersa Thunder .380 in a COMP TAC MTAC IWB holster. Used Hornady CD ammo. Sold that.

Hopefully soon I'll be carrying a Kel Tec P11 in a Galco IWB holster. Will have to see what PD ammo it likes.
  3. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Switch off so become familiar with all my handguns. go from a Taurus PT 740 to my Kimber pro carry ll and lately I've been carrying my Tokarev.

Attached Files:

4. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Enthusiast

I have a number of choices available but the one I end up carrying most often is a 3" SP101 in .357mag. I carry it in an Uncle Mike's size 5 IWB holster. It sits deeper under my belt so it stays secure yet there is plenty of grip exposed for a sure draw. I tuck my shirt in over it so "fast draw" is really not gpoing to happen. (I always opt for "sure" draw as opposed to "fast" draw - that is the fastest you can safely accomplich anyway) Extra ammo is in Bianchi speed strips instead of the speedloaders.
    I go this route because it is the most comfortable combination I have tried so far. I don't carry everywhere I go (not allowed in many locations that I end up in) but when I do, I tend to carry all day. I love autoloaders too but - again - this is the most comfortable combination of what I have available. Obviously, YMMV.

As I have said before, I don't feel undergunned with only 5 shots. I am not a LEO so I don't plan to arrest criminals, and if there is any trouble I plan to use cover if available. If I know there will be trouble, I fugure the smart thing is to give the LEOs a head's up and stay out of their way.

My biggest threat is while walk near my rural home. Folks are supposed to keep their dogs under control but somehow they forget that ""Fang" who is very gentle with the kids, is also very teritorial and doesn't realize the opposite side of the road is not their territory.

I can bust steel targets are 50 yards very easily with the SP101 but I have never been under the stress of an armed confrontation. But if I can't hit the side of the barn in those conditions, then a high cap magazine won't help me either.
  5. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I have three that I carry...

Everyday: Kel Tec p3at

Occasional: Glock 19 or S&W 64
  6. JetGirl

JetGirl G&G Enthusiast

Always a 1911 of some sort. Usually 3". Sometimes 4.25".
    Always cocked & locked. (IWB)
  7. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

For carry, a .40 Sig P229, a 9mm Glock 19, and a .38spl Ruger LCR when out for a run.
  8. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

I began carrying a Commander-sized 1911 many years ago. Consistency seems to work for me, so I've stuck with that platform.
  9. White Rook

White Rook G&G Enthusiast

I carry my Taurus 357 model 605 five shot snubby most of the time with hollow points.
  10. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Enthusiast

Para Ordinance P-14 .45 LDA 14+1, 2 extra mags. IWB. Everyday all day. Like the American Express Card commercial, don't leave home with out it. Friends call me paranoid, I say "Not any more". :)
  11. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

Sig P226 95% of the time. S&W model 66 for the other times.
  12. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Depends

Lucrosen: Sir, in some fashion

Ruger LCP
    SW 638
    Glock 17 or 22
  13. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist

KelTec P40
    MAB Brevette
  14. docmaghee

docmaghee G&G Newbie

When in civilian garb: Colt 1911 Commander-Cocked and Locked-is there any other way-primary(Sometimes I switch to my Kahr CW-45) and on my ankle a S/W 642 airwieght....
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  15. carropm

carropm G&G Newbie

A Ruger LCP everyday everywhere and a Sig P229 E2 or S&W 686 to finish the package and my Beretta 92 is close by.
  16. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

Personally I think Kimber is highly overpriced for the from/function, but if you demand all the little bells and whistles, then they may be the only way to go.

Personally, I'd go with a 10 shot compact Para Ordnance 1911, for around $600 (and they have been proven to be RELIABLE!) and never look back.

My EDCs are a P90 .45, and a J-Frame .38spl. Dependent on the day/weather/etc I have one and my wife has the other.
  17. Bestiverhad

Bestiverhad G&G Enthusiast

May I ask what holster you are using to carry your Tokarev concealed? I've been looking at Cross Breed IWB, but they are pricey. I have yet to contact them to see if they make one to fit the Tokarev.

At present, my Ruger LCP goes with me everywhere I go.
    Everywhere.
    It's so light and compact, I forget I'm carrying it, but my better half wants to start carrying it, so I'm looking for a comfortable way to carry my Polish TTC.
  18. BarryHalls

After some of my own crude ballistics tests, I don't feel under gunned with my 5 shots of .38 out of a 2" barrel. By my reckoning, with the Buffalo Bore stuff I'm using, I only need one to hit.

I'd feel well armed with 3" .357.

5 shots is plenty for a mugger/thug or two. Just don't waste them.

I WILL say that my grandfather had to pull his 5 shot .38 on 6 teens that were molesting his tractor and got a little froggy when he started yelling at them.

"One of you's going to fight me, the rest won't. Who's first?"

All six turned and left.

That's all to say, there ARE situations where 5 shots might not be enough, but don't confront 6 men with only 5 shots unless you have a back up plan.
  19. BarryHalls

Dear monkey-farts! WOW that's a lot of heat for every day! lol!

Now, I want the same pistol, but I figured one spare mag is PLENTY! haha!

43 shots of .45?? WOW, lol!
  20. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

Most often nowadays it is a Charter 5 shot, 44 special.