Whats the Shooting distance for a Reminton 700 .308 caliber....

Discussion in 'Remington' started by bananalover, Nov 14, 2011.

1. bananalover

bananalover G&G Newbie

I just picked up a Remington 700 .308.

Roughly, Whats the shooting distance for this caliber? I know I have to take in consideration for elevation and windage for the accuracy and I'm using your standard store bought ammo...

Is 300-500 yards a reasonable distance for this caliber????
  2. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

Caliber... The longest shot made with a "kate" is 1250 yards. But for a guy asking on a forum about 200.
  3. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Enthusiast

for the cailber its good out to about 500-600 with factory ammo. but i have to agree with 338RUM for some one thats asking on a forum 200-250. now with lots and lots of practice say about 300 rounds down range a week and a place to shoot you could very easly take that out to 300-400 yards in no time.
  4. whirlwind

whirlwind G&G Enthusiast

it depends on the rifle and your skill...average rifle average shooting skills with average ammo? i would not suggest attempting a hunting shot over 300yrds. the round is capable of much greater shots though with excellent equipment and tons of practice and study you can make mind numbingly far shots. i never shot my "cait" past 1000m,but she would hit a grand everytime if i did my part. and i spelled mine cait because almost the same time i got out of sniper school i had my first daughter that was named "caitlyn" ill never tell which was named after which though!...now some twenty plus years later there are moments i think i turned the wrong one back in to my armorer! (=
  5. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

Well, the round itself can effectively go out to 1000+ yards.
    The rifle and shooter determine how accurate it is on the way out there.
  6. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

It also depends on the bullet..average store bought bullets will give you average accuracy.

Check this out:
    308 Winchester for Sniping

Its mainly on 7.62x51 but still largely applies to .308.
    just do some google searches
  7. melloyello

melloyello G&G Regular

My last 2 kills (deer) were ~300 to 350 yards.
    They were good sound kill shots through the heart and lungs.

Used Remington 308 Win 150 gr Core-Lokt PSP.

Rifle was a Remington 7400.
  8. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Since you did not state what the shots would be for, I assume your question is one of attempting to ascertain if a Remington 700 is capable of sending a .308 bullet 300-500 yards with reasonable accuracy.

The answer is YES, absolutely. The GUN is totally capable of it. The shooter is an unknown variable.

I have a couple Remington 700s in .308 caliber. Both of them will shoot 500 yards, and keep the bullet inside a 9 inch paper plate, using factory ammo, IF I do my part by accounting for the wind, and shooting well.

Now, what you shoot AT is a whole different topic, that some seemed to have jumped into, already.
  9. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

10. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

+1+
    best answer given so far.

The .308 is still supersonic (barely) at 1,000 yards and still packs the energy of a .357 mag. inches from the muzzle at that distance.

it doesn't matter how far a weapon can shoot accurately at long distances (with exceptional optics designed for such purpose), what matters is how precise and consistantly accurate the shooter is at any particular distance. how far someone has to shoot to take game is not impressive (too many animals are never recovered by "hope I hit it" hunters), if you can get close enough to pinch fur off of them..... now that's downright impressive....