Which ammo cans are best?

Discussion in 'Ammunition Reports' started by Para Cassatt, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I'm wanting to start storing my factory ammo and am in need of some more cans. I have a couple of plastic ones from Cabelas that I've stored the same 45 XTP's that shipped in them that I could use and know where some metal ones are I may be able to get. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using either the plastic or metal ones and what works best to preserve the gaskets? Lastly should I individually wrap the boxes in something for the best preservation of the ammo and cartons?
  2. gunnerdave

gunnerdave G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I like the USGI surplus cans. I have a few that are over 20 years old and the gaskets are still good. They seal very well. I use them to store loose ammo as well as boxed/clipped ammo. No problems so far.

HTH

Dave
  3. Blackrock

Blackrock G&G Enthusiast

The steel cans will last forever whereas the plastic will eventually degrade and crack.
    Store your ammo in a cool dry place and it is good forever.
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I like the metal milsurp cans in all sizes, especially the 40MM cans. I bought some of the 40MM cans at CTD 2 or 3 years ago for 5 bucks each now they are 12 to 15 bucks when I see them.
  5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

USGI 50cal cans will hold all you really want to carry ( depending on how much ammo oyu pack in them, they can get heavy). if the gasket needs attention, silicone grease.
  6. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

Yep, steel USGI .50 cans are the best. They get heavy, but not too heavy, they stack well, fit on 10-12" shelves well, and will last forever. Fortunately, there's a guy nearby that gets pallets of them from the military and sells them on Craigslist for $6 each.
  7. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i want a couple of the ones that look like the 50 cal cans but are about 40 inches tall.
    they seem like they would make a great rifle storage box.
  8. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

The MilSurp cans are the best and can be found at a good price if you look around. Just make sure when you purchase them the gasket is in good condition. And is there really. Some will have the gasket missing. Then just buy more as you need them. I use a marker on the outside to show what ammo is in each can. Makes life easier.

[​IMG]
  9. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

I answered an ad the other day on Craigslist for "two .50 cal. ammo cans, have been repainted, $10 for both". So I hurried over to grab them, and they were WWII vintage cans, the side-hinged kind, both in excellent condition. SCORE!

They'd been Krylon'd two hideous shades of blue, but I have paint stripper, a bead blast cabinet, and a can of the correct O.D. green paint for WWII ammo cans. Five bucks apiece for WWII cans? Hell yeah! I'm still tickled.
  10. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Thanks guys, metal it is.
  11. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

The metal ones are great. I use a .30 cal can for my .22lr. A .50 cal can which is full of surplus 7.62x54R. And a 40mm can with all the rest of my rifle/shotgun ammo, powder, primers, reloads..ect.
  12. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

The more, the merrier! :icon16:

[​IMG]
  13. Montveil

Montveil G&G Newbie

I love the side opening 50 cal cans if you can find them.
    If the gasket is worn, I have removed it, place a piece of wax paper over the can sides and use automotive gasket maker in the gasket channel close but do not cam down. Can down after 24 hours, open remove wax paper and trim as necessary. This makes an acceptable gasket replacement.
  14. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

15. Montveil

Montveil G&G Newbie

As a followup on the side open 50 CAL cans,
    I found them at armysurpluswarehouse.com/ for 5.99 each. They look rusty etc but what can you expect from cans from WW 11 .
    I ordered two as I love these side openers even if I have to repaint them
  16. pico

pico G&G Newbie

I am a huge fan of the 30 cal cans. You can pack a lot of loose rifle rounds in them, and their size makes moving them around easiest of all the cans. My favorites for quantity storage is the 20mm cans, which can hold more than 5,000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo in boxes. You won't want to move that around much, but throw in a few dessicant packs and you will be in business for many many years. The 20mm and 40mm cans have the lids that completely remove, and being large sized cans can hold a lot. The 50 cal cans come in a few sizes, but my favorites are the .50 cal tall cans. These are the same footprint of the regular .50 cal cans, but are twice as tall. You can put a lot of ammo in them, or you can load them with lighter stuff. The only problem with these is that if you load them with ammo, you will be moving it one handed often, which gets really heavy.

After living thru Katrina and the other storm threats to the New Orleans area during 2004 and 2005, I turned a few 20mm cans into document containers. They work great for that use, as they are water tight and rodent proof. My family now keeps all of our important documents in ammo cans in our fireproof gun safe.
  17. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I vote for the steel, too. No experience with plastic, but steel has worked fine so far, so why switch?
  18. Montveil

Montveil G&G Newbie

Sounds like there is "no best". As with many things it depends on what your needs are.
    Long term storage is one thing but if your going to haul around large caliber ammo such as 308-3006 or shotgun shells I find a full 50 cal can is all I would want to carry
  19. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

The .30 cal cans are great for things like cartridges in bandoliers, on stripper clips, in Garand en-bloc clips and certain carts in boxes.

In the pic there are from left to right.
    Garand 30.06 en bloc clips.
    7.62 or .308 boxes of carts.
    More Garand clips.
    Boxes of 30.06.
    Stripper clips of 30.06 for 03a3.
    9mm in boxes.
    Garand 30.06 clips in battle packs.
    More 30.06 ammo in boxes.
    2 bandoleers of 30.06 and 7x57 rounds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  20. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Mil-surplus cans for sure. for long term storage I throw a small dessicant pack in and close em up. I have one can that is over 10 years old and another that is getting close to 20. all ammo still looks brand new and performs just fine. (tested some over a chrony about a year and a half ago)