Which one of these AR's would be best for a first?

Discussion in 'AR15' started by 7.62x54R M44, Feb 7, 2012.

1. 7.62x54R M44

7.62x54R M44 G&G Regular

I posted a similar post earlier but this is kind of a improved follow-up.

I have found MANY more AR's that better fit my budget and are better than my previous choice of the DPMS.

Here they are:
    1. Doublestar Star 15 M4 $669
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 16" 6 Pos. Stock .223 $669.00 SHIPS FREE

2. Windham Weaponry R16A4T M4 A3 $787
    Windham Weaponry R16A4T M4 A3 223 16 HB FLAT 30R $787.00 SHIPS FREE

3. Palmetto State Armory M4A1 $699
    Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Carbine

These 3 have seemed like better choices and the first 2 are Mil-Spec so I could later on get something like a .50 Beowulf to make it the most kick-@ss short range hog killer around.

ALSO, could yall recommend a good Rear sight?

(it will be a truck/tractor gun)
  2. aobrien

aobrien G&G Newbie

I would go PSA but i've been drinking a lot of the PSA kool-aid lately. To me it seems to be the best bang for your buck around.

As far as the rear sight goes, what kind of sight are you looking for?

Fixed or folding?

Ive got an LMT tactical rear sight which is basically just the a2 sight but without the carry handle. I got it from Botach for $60 shipped and love it.
  3. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Enthusiast

Palmetto. A heavy barrel profile on a carbine is pointless weight unless you have a specific goal in mind (I.e. matches)
  4. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

I don't know about Windham, but my friend has a double star and I have a PSA. Both are great choices. I personally would go PSA(as I did of course) because they use FN Herstal uppers built right there in Columbia, SC at the FN factory.
  5. 7.62x54R M44

7.62x54R M44 G&G Regular

Fixed carry handle style for now (will get one of the Magpull folders when get a little farther along)
  6. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

I forgot about the rear sight. I would save a week longer and buy a Troy folding rear rather than the Magpul BUIS. I had the Magpul for a while and ended up selling it to my friend. It isn't a bad sight by any means, but it isn't the best either. I've since put Troy rear sights on both my AR-15s and a Troy flip front on one as well. The other one has a Yankee Hill flip up front sight/gas block combo. I have both the traditional round peep and Troy's new dioptic diamond aperture. I like the tradition round on more, but they're both great. They're only about $40 more than the Magpul, so like I said. It's just one more week of saving to get something you'll never get rid of.
  7. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Groundhogs, too.
  8. SasquatchSniper

SasquatchSniper G&G Newbie

PSA. But why a carbine instead of midlength? IMHO midlengths are usually a better choice for civilian shooters
  9. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

PSA seems to be getting a rep for having thier stuff together with a good balance of price and quality.

Windham is an off shoot of Bushmaster.

Often overlooked rear (and front sights) are Samson's. I am extremely happy with the set I put on my ATH.
    [​IMG]
    Sights : Samson Manufacturing
  10. beardedjesse

beardedjesse G&G Regular Forum Contributor

PSA! Thats my vote! Unless you run across a killer deal of some other kind first!
  11. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I say either the Double Star or the PSA. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, both are pretty well made.
  12. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Of those options I'd pick the PSA setup.
  13. oneyeopn

oneyeopn G&G Regular

Milspec the lowest of the low rung...

I have the S&W Sport...I have put it side by side with a Bushmaster and a colt. the progressive gain twist 1-8 5R barrel is so much more accurate than any of the others and it will eat any ammo and I am not carrying it into combat so I dont need a FA which in the Corps I never used and they taught us to not slap it like is see so many DA'ses do. I put a 4-16x40 nikon on it and am blowing up prairie dogs at 300 yards. Not just getting close like the others so those of you who just pass on by the S&W keep on passing cause it leaves one more for someone else to buy. there has to be a reason that S&W sells everything it can make and you can find the others sitting on a shelf waiting to be bought. quality and accuracy. alot of the other rifles mentioned in this thread are made by companies that were late to jump on the AR bandwagon but they build milspec, milspec it the specifications made for the lowest bidder to meet.
  14. cenok is family

cenok is family G&G Newbie

I have a psa midlength upper on my ar. Top quality at a good price, they get my vote
  15. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    Too bad you didn't come to a buying frame of mind sooner. You could have had one of these guns for about $750 out the door and they are not a bottom of the line gun.

Rock River Arms: Mid-Length A2 / A4

I put one on order back in January and should have it soon. RRA won a huge contract from the FBI and DEA so that should say something about their quality.
  16. TomAnsley

TomAnsley G&G Newbie

I vote for the PSA as well,Very nice and affordable,And also agree that a look at RRA is a good idea.Not a big fan of the pistol makers AR even though the folks that actually make it has a decent rep.
  17. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member Founder

My vote goes to Rock River....One of the best on the market in my opinion!
  18. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

I say BCM or Colt

Rear sight, check out the Matech 600m sight, it is Army issue and solid.
    Botach tactical has(had) them for around $60 which makes them one of the cheaper rear sights that you can find as well.
  19. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I got a Matech at a gunshow for $40.00 so there are some deals to be had on them.
  20. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I know you already have it but just be careful when you get those super deals on those parts and I am not saying your's is,

Gunshows and e-bay especially are notorious these days for cheap Chinese made knock off parts that look very close to the rel thing or people are selling stolen US Govt. Property that got skimmed off somewhere so as a general statement everyone be careful when you buy.