Which Stock Replacement for L1A1 ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by HeadShot308, Nov 4, 2003.

1. HeadShot308

HeadShot308 G&G Newbie

Hi all. Would like to change the cheesy stock on my Century Arms L1A1. what are my options? there seem to be alot of stocks for Metric, but not for Inch patterns. thanks for your reply
  2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

DS Arms may have a more ergonomic thumbhole stock. Otherwise, contact Tapco. They sell US parts for the FAL.
  3. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

I don't know of any one that makes a US made stock set for an L1A1, been looking for myself for a while. You can buy british surplus "pebble grain" butt stock but I don't know if it is legal to put one on your rifle, that's why I havn't done so.
  4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Tapco almost always has FAL stuff.
  5. HeadShot308

HeadShot308 G&G Newbie

thanks guys, if all else fails, maybe I'll just wrap some camo rag around it a little. might actually look pretty cool ! glad i just thought of it. :nod:
  6. guffster

guffster G&G Newbie

I just ordered & installed an inch stock set (it's made by Century) for my L1A1, got it from gunthings.com $49.00+$8 shpg. Tapco has the same ones. Word of advice...I had emailed Century with my ser.# for a list of U.S. parts they used & they said the gas piston, hammer, sear & of course thumbhole stock set. After I got everything apart, turns out the trigger group was all original British so I then had to place another order for the FSE trigger group $50 & pay some more shipping. You can save about $30 from Tapco if you need both they have a combo set furn. & trigger etc. for $70+ shpg. By the way, had to do just a little fitting on the furn.
  7. Pumpkinheaver

Guffster,

I think that's the stuff he's trying to get rid of. I know the set I have is crappy.
  8. BigJake

BigJake G&G Regular

I can understand the desire to discard such a stock.
    I purchaced an SKS/AK-mag "sporter". (for the previously uninformed, "sporter" almost always goes hand in hand with "Gay thumbhole stock". You are now informed.) Although
    thumbhole stocks have their purpose, they have no purpose on Battle or Combat rifles. I propose to not use one by choice.
    I bet the Patriots that wrote the stupid law up penciled in that idea with a couple of guys laughing him on like: "Hey, I bet this will piss these guys off".

Sorry to run off topic.
    I bought this thumbhole SKS that took the AK mags at a deal of around 150 Georges. It had been 175, but I told the pawnshop clerk that without a magazine he would have to come off it a bit.
    I dont feel bad about it because they have a policy of buying guns strickly through pawn and sold as premium. Which makes me save my true buisness for my respectable Dealer.

I hated to part with it but let it go due to the market fluctuation caused by the romanian imports. I got a good trade and the person that got it can afford to hang on until the market ripples out. I on the otherhand am waiting for September 2004.
  9. Pumpkinheaver

The L1A1 I bought has century's cheapo butstock and pistolgrip, not a thumbhole stock. I want to get rid of it it's cheasy.
  10. BigJake

BigJake G&G Regular

Oh my goof...

What I really want is to take the Fal I am Pieceing togeather and put a nice wood stock and handguards on it. I mean sanded and fixed as pretty as the stock on a B80 Browning Shotgun. This could be done, but I don't know if I can get around the compliance parts.
    Does it have to be made by a manufacturer of stocks in the US. or can it be made by someone here in the US on private terms, for example Earl Bob and his Wood lathe and some sandpaper,?

Thanks for any posts.
  11. HeadShot308

HeadShot308 G&G Newbie

Thanks again... Mine has the pistolgrip (not thumbhole--- i would NEVER buy a thumbhole stock i leave that to the non-military style gunowners to pretty-up there rifles) no offense. I think i will just have to hide that ugly century arms stock with some camo rags. thanks guys. Happy Blasting !:assult:
  12. MAX7.62

MAX7.62 G&G Newbie

If you want a really nice set of wood furniture try ironwooddesigns.com . The DS Arms X series stock set is really nice, I have one of those installed on an Imbel reciever Century L1A1. Iron Wood Designs that I mentioned above does a great job and the prices are not bad. They also make laminate, black walnut, and maple stocks for AK's. Their stocks have to be final fit and finished but the quality of the wood makes it well worth it. I'm actually waiting on an email from them about a black walnut stock set for a pre-ban L1A1 that I have. It's got the old standard pebble grain furniture which looks like it's been drug through the crap so I decided to turn it into a woodie.