Whitetail hunting with blackpowder revolver

Discussion in 'Muzzle Loading' started by rando, Aug 11, 2012.

1. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Anyone ever hunt whitetail deer or similar sized game with a blackpowder pistol? What caliber and pistol did you use and also amount of powder and bullet size. I go blackpowder hunting for deer every year with one of my 45 or 50 caliber rifles. Im looking for more of a challenge this year and thinking of using my 44 cal. Pietta. Its an 1851 Navy model. They are legal to use where I hunt but must be over 40 cal. and use 40 grains or more of blackpowder. I usually use treestands close to the ground and woods not too thick around me. What are you guys thoughts on this.
  2. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Last time I checked it wasn't legal in NC but that was a while back. If you keep your shot to a minimal distance, it should drop a deer with no problem. Many a man has been dropped with them in years gone by. I'd use a soft lead bullet instead of ball though.
  3. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

In MD I use a pietta 1858 Remington 44 cal with a 12" bbl 40 gr of BP a fiber wad and a round ball. Last one I shot was an easy 50 yards and she had no problem falling to a well placed ball.