Who is this 90%? I don't know them...

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by 99dragon99, Apr 18, 2013.

1. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I made the mistake of trying to find something to watch on TV that was not a paid advertisement or Al Bundy.

Well chit! Sliding through MSNBC.... Some idiot (Senator) saying that 90% of the American People wanted this bill. This bill would stop Terrorists from getting guns, it would stop gang members from getting guns and it would stop criminals from getting guns. And just in case you didn't know it, the terrorists are telling everyone to buy guns in America because the background check system is so broke... And the senators that voted no didn't vote the way they wanted too... they voted the way the NRA wanted them too.... and MSNBC will be showing pictures of the no voters throughout the show...

Then after changing channels the Sandy Hook dad was saying that 90% of Americans wanted this bill.... after more channel surfing Obama said the same thing... They will fight for the 90% and the 10 of thousands of victims of gun violence....

So my question.... Who are these people that make up the 90%?

/rant... had to just let that out... too much stupidity absorption at 6am...
  2. XD4071

XD4071 G&G Newbie

I for the life of me cant understand how its 90%..... I work with about 100 people, and only about 10 of them want to see more gun laws. So i guess they got the figures reversed. The 90% don't want more laws.....

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!
  3. boseland

boseland G&G Regular Forum Contributor

I am very curious about this myself. Especially when they also claim that 80% of gun owners, and the majority of NRA members, also want this. This is clearly BS. You can't get 90% of the American people to favor anything, even education or free speech. And I don't know ANY of my fellow NRA members who favor this, much less the "vast majority" that is claimed by our president.
  4. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

I'm guessing that it was 90% of those polled.... they likely polled democratic politicians from NY, MD, and CA....
  5. Deckard2012

Deckard2012 G&G Newbie

I heard BO stating 90% of the American people want the gun-control law. Probably some outdated, limited sample poll.

Meanwhile only 4% of Americans think the gun issue is significant. Be sure to point that one out to anyone when discussing gun-control.

BO also said the people (assuming the 90% here) will let their displeasure known at the next election.
    He is right about that; But we will vote out those who are anti-2ndA.
  6. Habakkuk21

Habakkuk21 G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/political-topics/153026-90%-favor-statistic.html

I don't know if the above link will work or not, but it was a post I made on 2/21/13 entitled "The 90% in favor" statistic.

But here's the bottom line: anyone can trot out any skewed data they want. WHEN IT CAME DOWN TO THE LINE, our elected representatives, as a group, did the right thing. We were not backed into a corner. We were not betrayed. The process worked. And that's what every peace-loving patriot earnestly desired. Rhetoric aside, I'd really prefer not to have anything pried from my cold dead hands. I'd rather keep them warm and alive, and available to hold my grandson Heath Jordan Patterson, and to bless my gift-from-God, happily-ever-after trophy wife Vanessa, and to tickle awake my 8 year old boy and 6 year old girl we are raising, and to turn the pages in my Bible and operate my Lee reloader.
    The system worked for us.
    And let us pray for our country every day, that it may be governed with wisdom.
  7. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

Prez is confused... the 90% he's referring to is how much of the time he and his administration fail at any attempt to attain the promised levels of transparency, or truthfulness.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  8. Habakkuk21

OUCH!

Brother Jay, you sure forgot one thing: the amount of time he spent whining in his last speech!

Tell me, one and all, if the sweet vapor of victory hasn't clouded your brains too much: can the Obama Administration recover from this, or is going to be like the end of Nixon's second term all over again?
  9. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yea seriously in MD when they were passing their Constitutional Rape Bill the Dems kept citing some statistic taken out of the Baltimore Sun every other sentence.

The Baltimore Sun "surveyed" people pretty much only in Baltimore and Montgomery County which is like 100% Democrat and they polled zero people on the Eastern/Western side of the state where it is pretty much Republican and more rural dominated.

But yet all the Dems kept touting 86% of Marylanders want this Bill! (because apparently to them only about 3-4 counties = the entire state.

grrrr so angry.
  10. 99dragon99

So I went to the link in the link and it showed that the poll was in 3 states...

Virginia, New Jersey and Pennsylvania

On Jan 30 2013.

This poll seems to be skewed a little... I think that polled the people before allowing them to take this poll.
  11. 99dragon99

It's about the same for me...

BTW: Welcome to G&G!
  12. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Enthusiast

Liars use statistics because statistics lie.

If I call 200 people and say "This call is to ask if you are in favor of banning firearms. Would you like me remove your name from our calling list?"
    All those yes answers becomes 90% are in favor of banning guns.

Of course, the other method is to call only those people who are registered as democrats.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  13. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

Al Bundy is more logical and realistic than this trumped up statistic..just saying.
  14. savage12755a

savage12755a G&G Enthusiast

When I read about a poll and it says 1000 people were interviewed and that those 1000 people are representative of 312 million my Bravo Sierra meter pegs out immediately.
    I have never in my life, a short 63+ years, been asked my opinion in a national poll of any kind. I have yet to meet anyone who has ever been interviewed or asked their opinion. So, who the devil are these 1000 people who represent 312 million people and where do they live.
    Rasmussin and Gallup must have the same list and resort to it frequently. That or only one of them actually conducts a poll and then sells the results to the others.
  15. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

No so fast. Last night I was discussing this with members of my trapshooting team. 3 of 6 saw no problem with the bill. Of course, they are from the Wisconsin side of the river and are also Packer fans.
  16. Habakkuk21

The 90% solution...a statistical rant

The agency conducted the survey is well respected, and their techniques are sound. I speak as a STALE ACADEMIC EXPERT AND USER OF STATISTICAL SYSTEMS (BS 1978, M.Ed. 1982, Ed. S., 1996; practice 1978 - 2007).
    The surveys addressed background checks in two forms: at gun shows, and all buyers.

I've bought at least one long gun and at least one hand gun at a gun show. In both cases, I had to follow the exact same procedures that I followed when purchasing a firearm at a pawn store or a gun store. And it included a background check or Concealed Carry permit, and I had to fill out the form.
    So, the question, which was "Would you favor or oppose requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows?" seems to be a moot point. The background check is already in place. Now, these were gun shows in Georgia, and I have NO data on gun shows elsewhere. Can anyone speak to the question of gun sales by FFL holders at gun shows in other states? I expect the answer to be the same, since the first F in FFL means Federal.
    With respect to the question and the methodology, I find nothing to object to in the survey; it can be shown, mathematically, that the sample they used was representative of the population it was drawn from. However, it must be pointed out that the population is was drawn from did NOT necessarily reflect the entire population of the United States.

However, there is a VERY different issue raised with the other question: "Do you support or oppose requiring background checks for all gun buyers?" The question is FLAWED as a true opinion poll, because the circumstances are not made explicit. "All gun buyers" would include private sales; this was NOT addressed in the survey; and, fortunately, this flaw, flaw, FLAW (!) in the wording was pointed out by voices of Second Amendment supporters, notably, but not limited to, by the NRA.

(But, back to the bottom line: OUR SYSTEM WORKED! NOBODY had to resort to armed resistance to protect our rights. We did NOT follow the example of Great Britain, or Australia. )
  17. 99dragon99

I have been to gun shows in Texas and Minnesota, I have not bought anything because they won't accept my German DL as a valid ID.

I have not seen a NICS check in either of those places. They ask you to fill out the form and that is it. So no background check all of the time.
  18. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Enthusiast

The one I went to that was last weekend near me had people doing background checks. Though I can't say for ALL of them.
  19. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Out of the (conservatively) 400 people I deal with on a weekly basis through my various jobs and social events, I know a grand total of one guy that was for this. He is also the only business owner I have ever met that voted for Obama...twice.
  20. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I know of NOBODY hereabouts that was 'polled' on anything like this. I believe they poll small target groups in liberal big cities only, then tout that as being 'The People'. Just ignore the rest of us.