Why should I buy a .22 Magnum rifle?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by NRAJOE, Sep 7, 2004.

1. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Why should I buy a .22 Magnum rifle?
    Was at Cabela's today...found a used Marlin .22 Mag tube fed, bolt action rifle (don't remember model number) ex.cond $230.

I got a .22lr rifle...why .22 Mag...why not jump up to .22-250 or jump down to .17 cal?

I went and checked the ammo...not badly priced (though not as cheap as .22lr)

Ammo looked like stretched out .22lr rounds but they also had little rounds that looked like little .223's! :cool:

Never had or have shot a .22 mag.

So why should I get it .22 Mag fans?
  2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

because it goes bang when you squeeze the trigger ? :hmmm:
  3. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

I have had my 22Mag for years now. I personally love it. It's a Marlin 883.
    Being out for so long you can now find some nice rounds for it. Ballistics and the CCI 30gr are really killer. The 17HMR is a more flater projectile but the 22 Mag is nice to have a more stable bullet. The 223 is sweet, but sometimes a little too much.
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Joe, the .22WMR is basically a shorter ranged varmint round. A bit much for bushytails, if ya want to eat them - though a good rifle makes headshots easier. The bullet choices are better than for the .17HMR - you can tailor your ammo selection to what you want to shoot. It'll take bigger game than the .22LR can, and at a somewhat greater distance. Bunny's, ground squirrels, foxes, other such critters are good game for it. 'Yotes up close are possible, but really stretching this cartridge's capabilities.
    There isn't any competition shooting I know of using the .22WMR, but you can always start your own with other shooters. This cartridge can be very accurate!
    My Marlin model 25MN (sporter barrel, box magazine) is easily a sub-inch shooter at 100 yards.
    I've heard good things of the Savage .22WMR also, though I haven't shot one myself.
    Both these rifles are in the $200 range new, and can be found used without trouble.
  5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

buy it, because you can. :)
  6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

There were a rare few AK-22s made in 22 WMR.

There's a company that will soon introduce a matching pistol and carbine combo in 22 LR and 22 WMR. I forget their name, but a local dealer had their poster. Looks very interesting.

Back before the ban, Grendel, which became Kel Tec, made a mated 22 WMR pistol and carbine that had flush 30rd mags. Now the carbine's banned by name, as are its mags, but the death of the ban may bring it back. It had a telescoping stock, an HK type forend, and just looked really really nice. Me, I'd like to see one using FN-57 mags and firing the FN round.

I've occasionally considered a Rem 597 in 22 WMR, for which I'd hope to get hi-caps when the ban dies.
  7. bullettop773

bullettop773 G&G Newbie

just enough but not too much

whats up im down in the south and we love to coon hunt down here and i have had a .22 mag bolt and let me tell you one shot with that baby on a coon,rabbit,or anything you want to take out of this world.I have had numours times where i hunt wit a 22 lr and i have to put holes in the hide because of the weak impact it is THE PERFECT caliber
  8. 270wsm

270wsm G&G Newbie

I have a .22WMR and love it.Great for plinking,small game hunting,or whatever else you would like to do with it!It completely fills the void between the.22lr and say a .223Rem.
  9. mym1a

mym1a G&G Newbie

can't think of a good reason not to if you have the money???
  10. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Suspended

If you already have the LR I can't see much value in the magnum or 17HMR. I would go for the 22-250, or .223 if you want to shoot factory ammo.

Ron
  11. iflylow74

iflylow74 G&G Newbie

I recently bought a Savage 93 22mag and I love it. Havn't had a chance to kill anything yet. I got it for coyote up close, particullarly in the back yard chicken coop. The little savage is compact, lightweight and accurate. Just shooting off my knee in a setting posistion, I grouped 4 shots about the size of an orange with a strong wind. I feel like the 22mag is a good all around small game cartridge especially in my situation where, due to neighbors, noise and over penetration is a factor.
    BTW, I gave $216 with tax and a box of ammo for mine.
  12. killer

killer G&G Newbie

Winchester does make a FMC and HP in same weight (40gr) that grouped the same for me and allowed me the flexibility to use the FMC if I desired. And it was the one of the reasons I used to buy the rifle. The mag HP can be too much for small meat animals at times but it does shine for vermin (up to small fox) who are into something they should not be.

Seems like guys who actually own a 22 mag love it. I know when I'm in the safe selecting something for the weekend cabin run the 22 mag usually gets pulled out.
  13. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I would have to ask, why NOT? I mean, the ammo is very cheap to shoot. They are a blast to shoot. Versatile in that you can shoot varmints, cans, targets, and whatever else. Nuff said.

G-Meister

G-Meister
  14. iflylow74

iflylow74 G&G Newbie

I've had the same experience. I sighted in at 50yds with CCI 40 grain fmj's then switched to 30 grain Hornady V-Max rounds with little difference. I think the V-Max's may have shot a tad higher but nothing appreciable.
  15. odrg

odrg G&G Newbie

22 mag

As per Jack Oconnor in The Hunting Rifle - one of the most authoritative on guns and very readable - he says it ups the range to 150 yds vs 100 for open country varmint hunting. Get this book online from out of print booksellers. He has 40-50 pages dedicated to varmint cartridges and their history. e.g. the .222 magnum came out of experiments for the govt testing it as the military weapon of the future - light, highly portable automatic, firing light ammo at a high rate of fire. ... instead of getting off 1-2 shots .... would cut loose with a burst of from five to 25......page 280. He also covers items like the .221 Rem Fireball cartridge for the cross between a handgun and a bolt action carbine - the xp-100. 50 r bullet at 2650 fps from a 10 inch barrel. Best gun book have ever read.
    I am looking for a good 22 wmr rifle as well. but may go up to the centrefire .222 magnum as above.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  16. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

.22 Mag has serious energy and velocity, and costs much less than CF rounds. (to be honest, I can't figure out the 5.7 FN thing vice a .22 mag). Relative has long bbl K-22; beautiful gun, powerful for small bore, and great shooter.
  17. wily1

wily1 G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I have a Winchester Model 275 Pump .22 magnum and its one of my favs. Its a nice compromise between my .22 and my .223, ammo is a little more expensive than the .22 lr. Even though I reload the for my .223 the .22 magnum is still not to $$$ to shoot. I know if I shoot a fox or similar sized animal it is enough "gun" for the job.
  18. DKA1

DKA1 G&G Newbie

Have had several 22 Mags over the years and love all of them. Have 2 22 Mag hand guns and a Marlin 25 bolt rifle. These are bad little bullets. Know a guy that only deer hunts with a 22 Mag, sits in stand and shoots them behind the ear, must have taken 75 like that. I also own a 22-250 and my 22 mag gets shot 10 times more than the rest.:burnout:
  19. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

YOU can buy anew one cheaper,,,I paid about $ 179 for 983T 22 magnum with synthectic classic stock tube fed.
    $235.00 is way to much to pay for a used gun.
  20. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Personally,

I'm not such a fan of the .22 mag.
    I would move up to a good .223 bolt action with a target/varmit barrel.

However, we are all different and the .22 mag may be the gun for you.
    If possible, try before you buy.