Why won't Glock sell it's .380 auto pistols to the public?

Discussion in 'Glock' started by Ballbearing, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Enthusiast

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
  2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

would love to know why myself
  3. Ballbearing

I was just at their site and you can't even look at them if you're not an LEO!
  4. Ballbearing

Well, I did a little research and as it turns out, the pistols don't have enough BATFE "import points" to make them available to the general public. The .380's fall just short due to their weight and caliber, so if Glock isn't willing to make some sort of adjustment to them, or produce a model that meets BATFE standards for importation, they'll only be available to Law Enforcement.
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Yes. That has been true for the last 12 years or more.

If you would like to buy a .380 Auto that is as close to a Glock as you can get, check out the DiamondBack.Diamondback Firearms

I have one, and it shoots just like a Glock.
  6. Some Irish Guy

Some Irish Guy G&G Newbie

Eyup, nail was hit on the head for import points..../sigh and that is why we can't have nice things.
  7. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What Ballbearing said,

The Glock 25 is about the same size as the G19. If you have ever compared the smaller G19 to the standard sized G17 you would see where they had to make similar "adjustments" to the model to get it legal to import into the US. Such as the "Match target trigger" or whatever nonsense they called it. If you look close you can see how the G19's trigger is multi layered and it is not just a flat trigger like on the G17.

Stupid BS laws like that crap and the hoops that gun companies have to jump through to get their products into the US are insane.

In the US .380ACP while used by many is not nearly as popular as it is in Europe (in many countries over there .380 is the largest legal caliber people can carry and shoot) and most people in the US only like .380 in the tiny pocket pistol sized frames like the Ruger LCP, preferring a larger caliber in the larger sized gun.

Glock does not see the cost/benefit or the demand in the US to have them make a US import legal G25 amongst other things.
  8. SuckLead

SuckLead G&G Newbie

I never understood what the big deal was with the Glock 380 anyway. I don't think it would be a gold seller when you can get a 9MM or 40SW in the same size and the ammo is less expensive. People would run into shops to manhandle them, then say they were too big and leave.
  9. graytown

graytown G&G Newbie

I called glock (not really) & they said they dont offer b/c 380's suck...
  10. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I carry a 380 in a pocket hoslter because the best caliber is the one you have on you in a time of need. I would much rather carry my G19 but have not found a holster that is easy to wear, is comfortable and does not print. So, I carry a 380 in a pocket rig.
    Silver 83 likes this.
  11. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

Hmmmm, I'd be very interested in some range time to see if .380 really is as poor a performer as you suggest. I'll provide the range, the .380's and the ammunition, you just need to spray paint a bullseye on yer chest, and show up.

Being retired, I can be available at your convenience. :rolleyes: ... :usa2:

oh, almost forgot... serious? (not really)

My wife carries a 7-round .380, and I keep a 15-round .380 in my truck almost all the time.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  12. graytown

graytown G&G Newbie

OK cool. I'll bring my daily carry 4 1/2 inch 45 slider. Hope no full soda cans are between us cause I seen them flat out stop 380's.
  13. Jay

.45 slider ? Did that originate in a video game as well as the soda can stopping a .380?
  14. graytown

graytown G&G Newbie

Nope.

#1 "slider" is a term that usually refers to a semi-auto handgun. Kinda like 'wheel gun' or 'six-shooter' refers to a revolver.

#2 Yes, a full soda will stop a .380. Now put a t-shirt & jacket on the same soda & you will really understand the .380's weakness. Be sure & have it close enough to where you can actually hit it. No cheating, gotta use your hp's (cause I know you're not irresponsible enough to carry fmj's)

If a 9mm can barely get the job done w/350 ft/lbs how is a 9mm short gonna do it w/200?
  15. Jay

I've carried a 1911 for over 30 years, and never heard them referred to as "sliders". Must be one of those "uber cool" terms.

There are many examples of 9mm, and .380 making more appearances on morgue tables than any other caliber. Folks pick what caliber suits 'em. I really don't care what caliber anyone prefers, until someone's opinion starts being portrayed as irrefutable fact. That can mislead newer shooters. Caliber doesn't count until shot placement has been achieved. I've used most of the popular calibers in classes over the years, and still do. Both the 9mm, and the .380 do quite well against more than pop cans. They both do a decent job against humans, as well.
  16. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Enthusiast

Yep they'd have to do something really stupid looking like put on extra wide thumb rests on either side of the frame to make it more of a "sporting pistol" like those for crap grips Makarovs were imported with.

The plus side would be you coud maybe take off the slide & remove the magazine when bored and use the frame as a toy glider with them built in "wings".:jester:
  17. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Enthusiast

Can't Glock just make .380's in Georgia, and you don't have to import them??
  18. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Newbie

Well I imagine these guns that don't have import points are somehow unsafe for the general public. If this is so than LE shouldn't have a gun that is deemed unsafe for the public. If it's not unsafe, then theyshouldn't have access to anything that I shouldn't be able to purchase myself.
  19. sardine

sardine G&G Newbie

Won't shoot through a soda can, full? That's weird. My daisy bb gun, you know the red ryder jobs we all had as kids will shoot through a suspended plastic water bottle full of water. Goes in the front & right out the back. One shot, 2 holes. I was astounded to discover that.
  20. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 G&G Newbie

In Death Wish II Paul Kersey used a Beretta Model 85 .380 ACP and shot up a lot of bad guys.