Wild Bill Hickock's Guns, What happened to them?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Ballbearing, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Enthusiast

Was he buried with those twin Colt 1851 Navy's? Did a friend take them? Were they sold to cover his bar bill. or to pay off a poker debt? I can find no mention of them after his death anywhere. Are they in a museum or private collection somewhere? Does anybody know? Also, does anyone make a reproduction of them that is historically accurate? After reading several bio's of him on the internet, I couldn't help but wonder.
  2. sunwheel29

sunwheel29 G&G Newbie

Nobody even knows what they were, he apparently had many guns.

Supposedly, for many years an S&W .32 and a Dean-Adams five shot .45 DA revolver were in a museum in Deadwood and displayed as Hickock's guns.

I have read some accounts that Wild Bill was actually toting a pair of customized Remingtons when shot by Jack McCall, however.

One of the .36 navies is supposedly in a museum. According to Joseph Rosa, it has a mismatched cylinder. If another gun pops up with the cylinder to the gun in the museum it would be interesting, he notes.

I would presume that when Hickcock was gunned down that his friends gathered his stuff together and sent it to his wife Agnes. She may have given some of them away or sold them.
  3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Very interesting !!
  4. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

You would be surprised at all the gun museums scattered around the U.S. as well as Private collection's and maybe one of them have these pistols.

There is a Giant Gun museum,collection here in the small town of Berryville, Ar. named the Saunders Gun Museum and theres another one somewhere in Oklahoma to.

Both of these have guns some famous people owned...A.H

Here's a link http://www.berryville.com/musphotos.html
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  5. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

One of the best Old West firearm museums is in Cody Wyoming, the Buffalo Bill Museum.
    I thought Wild Bill always carried just a brace of Navy Colts? I've never heard of him with other weapons? I'm not arguing, just asking because I don't know.
  6. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Thanks for the pics. A.H.
  7. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

Hickok had quite a few guns but I've always heard his favorites were the 51 Navies. One of them is in a museum somewhere but can't remember where. The other one is missing. Don't remember hearing anything about the one in the museum having a mismatched cylinder.
  8. sunwheel29

sunwheel29 G&G Newbie

There is a letter in the back of the latest issue of Guns ofthe Old West from Joseph Rosa, who wrote a biography of Billy the Kid that is rather good about the mismatched cylinder on the navy colt in the museum.

Hickock shot a gambler named Tutt with a .44 walker I recall too. In addition to purchasing various guns, Hickock was probably presented with guns as gifts as well, which was common in those days.
  9. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

That's the J.M. Davis Gun Museum in Claremore, OK, near Tulsa. You should go check it out. Bring a lunch and comfy shoes, it's an all-day thing, the place is huge. You'll get SICK of looking at guns, and they're all different, no two are alike. Then there's the saddles, and horns/antlers, and beer steins, it's freakin' unreal. http://www.thegunmuseum.com/

Another great museum in OK is the WOOLAROC Museum in Bartlesville. Not just guns, but all kinds of great Western History as well as World artifacts. It's the private collection of the founder of Phillips Petroleum, Big Daddy Morebucks. http://www.woolaroc.org/

Gotta mention the 45th Infantry Museum in Oklahoma City too. Well worth visiting, but go in the daylight....it's in a shady neighborhood. http://www.45thdivisionmuseum.com/
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  10. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Sounds like The House On The Rock, next door to Frank Lloyd Wright's studio, Talisien, in Wisconsin. The place belonged to a VERY eccentric millionaire who collected everything. Among the things in there are a gun collection that includes a couple or three Gatling guns and a pair of Civil War siege mortars, plus a paste duplicate set of the British Crown Jewels. It's well worth spending a day or two going through the place; you won't manage it in one day.
  11. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

What's Billy the Kid got to do with Wild Bill's guns?
    Haven't heard it was a Walker. I've heard it was a Dragoon and that he braced on a hitching post and heard it was a S&W .32 but common consensus including Rosa says it was a .51 Navy braced across his forearm.
  12. bigione

bigione G&G Newbie

He lost them in a poker game...!!
  13. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Difficult to say

I have a history book on Hickock but there is no real info on his estate - not that there was very much.

Hickock was pretty much vision impaired from sexually transmitted diseases in the latter period of his life. Also, he was not very literate.
    Plus, he was not exactly socializing with the kind of people who would arrange a will, set up an estate, etc.

So, just know he did have a fascinating life yet not a life of accomplishment. He will always be in American history.
  14. sunwheel29

sunwheel29 G&G Newbie

Rosa wrote the standard biography of Billy the Kid.
    He's considered a preeminant authority on the American West, even though he lives in England now.

He wrote the letter to "Guns of the Old West" about the mismatched cylinder on the Navy Colt.

The gun Hickock used to shoot Dave Tutt was a .44. Some sources say it was a Walker, others a Dragoon. Victorian era folk were bad about confusing the two. It was definitely not a Navy Colt though, as the shot was at a pretty long distance. Either 80 feet, or 80 yards, I don't remember.
    I have seen more than one modern writer recreate the distance with walkers and dragoons, albeit they were not being shot at when they fired.
  15. bigione

bigione G&G Newbie

I don't think anyone knows. The table and chair he used in his last poker game are on sidplay in Saloon No. 10 on main street in Deadwood. My sister used to own the saloon.
  16. Dryfli

Dryfli G&G Newbie

This is the most interesting post on here is a while (at least to me) thanks for posting
  17. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

I haven't been to OK in years , I suddenly feel the need to go!