Will a 2 3/4" Remington 1100 also shoot 3" shells

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by CJ45ACP, Jan 26, 2008.

1. CJ45ACP

CJ45ACP G&G Newbie

I know this sounds like a stupid question, and it may very well be, but I have a Remington 1100 12ga with a Rem-choke barrel that is stamped 2 3/4" shells, it has all kinds of relief and a 3" shell drops right in and has plenty o room before the step to the bore, so why is it stamped 2 3/4"?

Will it fire 3" shells too, safely that is?

Thanks
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

ONLY if the Receiver is a Magnum Receiver and is Marked with a "M" suffix serial number...Otherwise It is 2-3/4 " ONLY!
    Rich
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Not worth the risk

If your gun says two and three quarters that means what it says and says what it means. Do not run a risk of damage to your gun or yourself by tempting fate.
  4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

These guys speak truth! Your 1100 was not designed to shoot the 3" shell. If you take that up with shell then where is the unfolding crimp going to go? At best the shell may not extract after being fired. The worst would not be pretty. Also, that extra room is for the crimp on the shotshell to expand into.

I have an 1100LH that shoots only 2 3/4" shells. I bought a Leftie 870 to shoot 3" out of.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  5. CJ45ACP

CJ45ACP G&G Newbie

Thanks guys!
    That is kinda what I thought, the thing that puzzled me was the extra relief in the chamber area of the barrel.
    There is plenty room for a 3" shell to do it's thing in barrell, crimp and all.

I have not, nor will I even attempt, to shoot a 3" in it!

Thanks again!
  6. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Thats an Interesting subject about the model 1100 to this day it will only handle
    2 &3/4 shells.
    Remington later came out with a model 1100 that shot 3'' magnum ammo along with 2 3/4.
    The receiver is stamped Magum. Now discontinued.
    I received one for Christmas 31+ years ago. It's in new condition. Haveing not used it because it's so perty !!!

Shortly after becomeing a member here there was a Thread that a 2 3/4 receiver
    model 870 Pumpaction will except a 3" magnum barrel.
    I went to see because I have a Wingmaster 2 3/4 and an 870 Express 3" the Express 3'' mag barrel fit the Wingmaster 2 3/4 perfectly.

I inquired here back then is it really safe to shoot and received a few PM's that it was very safe.
    I'm not going to find out...A.H
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  7. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

It is little comments like this that makes me appreciate the British & European Gun Proofs Acts.
    All guns sold in Britain must be tested by one of the proof houses and stamped with safe cartridge pressure loads and size. It will tell you immediately what is the maximum safe cartidge you can use in it.
  8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

if someone can read and use common sense, you dont need that kind of proofing/labeling. his gun is clearly stamped for a 2 3/4" shell. if it were safe to use a 3" shell, it would be marked as such.
  9. CJ45ACP

CJ45ACP G&G Newbie

Well the situation was a little different than that but comon sense always works!

I bought a barrel for my 1100 and it is marked 2 3/4" and I have some 3" shells out of curiosity I drop one in it and Hmmmmm, it looked like it fit, so I measured the relief area, were the shell crimp unfolds and VA-WA-LA plenty of room? So I thought I would go ahead and ask the "dumb" question.

Now the factory barrel is also marked 2 3/4" so I was pretty sure the barrel was stamped to match the recievers ability to handle ONLY 2 3/4" shells, but like I said, I thought I would ask.

I always say, when all else fails, comon sense will save your a$$!:)
  10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Common Sense...Exactly !
    A 3 inch barrel will fit , But the receiver is not designed for the higher pressures, So regardless of what the barrel says, in this case , The receiver is the weak link that determines the proper Length Shell...
    Rich
  11. SouthernComfort

SouthernComfort G&G Newbie

A 3" shell will drop into a 2.75 chamber easily enough, problem is when it is fired the crimp will not fully open due to the forcing cone, thus the shot/wad column will need more oomph to get out of the shell and down the barrel. This "oomph" is provided by the gas's from the burning powder. These gas's contained in the chamber build up tremendous pressure. Any restriction to getting that shot/wad column out increases those pressures tremendously and is VEEERY dangerous to you. Don't shoot those 3" shells in a chamber marked for 2.75 even if the forcing cone has been relieved.........
  12. sneptune

sneptune G&G Newbie

NO! don't do it... its not a good thing!

When they put the 2 3/4 stamp on that barrel they mean it! I didn't thing much about it either with my Rem 1100 shooting a 2 3/4 rem barrel I got for cheep at a pawn shop. But one day I shot it and was getting ready to shoot it again and decided not to waist the bullet.. so I then looked down and its a good thing I didn't shoot! there was about 1 1/4 space showing between the end of the receiver where the barrel connects 'to' the receiver. somehow it broke the weld around the round piece that fits over the shell tube. It wasn't till I ruined my barrel(and almost my arm?) till I checked out the differences.. and there is! :) the gas ports are different and the 2 3/4 barrel will not handle presser of the 3" shell. Now good ol Remington replaced that barrel for me in two weeks and that is why I have and will always buy Remington. My dad owns several Rem 12's, 20's and a 28.. and they all 'never' jam and are the best guns made!
  13. silverstreak

silverstreak G&G Newbie

An 1100 shotgun with the 2 3/4" receiver that shoots the 2 3/4" shells will shoot the 3" steel shot shells when using the appropriate 3" steel shot barrel. Since the steel shot doesn't create as much pressure, this is a safe practice okayed by Remington. Never shoot 3" lead in one of the barrels though when using a standard 2 3/4" receiver. You have to have both the magnum receiver and barrel to shoot the higher pressure 3" lead shells. This gives the owner of the 2 3/4" 1100 a bit more utility in the use of their gun.

Just remember, never mix in a 3" lead shotgun shell with the steel ones when using 2 3/4" receiver with the 3" steel barrel, or you may have a tragic accident.
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  14. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Questions are Good

CJ45ACP: Sir; I like a anyone that is willing to ask questions:)

Now tell about "that" dawg.:09: He sure looks inquisitive; what kind of a mess is getting ready to be created. :09:
  15. Asphalt Cowboy

Asphalt Cowboy G&G Newbie

Here's another way to look at it.

Measure the length of an unfired cartridge. Both the 2 3/4" and 3". Now measure the length of a fired hull. Again, both 2 3/4" and 3". Seems odd don't it.

The chamber is intended to accommodate the fired hull, not the unfired cartridge.

:just thought I'd throw this out for those who don't reload:
  16. smokey

smokey G&G Newbie

I'm not sure but,I dont think the ejection port on a 2 3/4 gun will eject the longer hull of the 3" magnum
  17. silverstreak

silverstreak G&G Newbie

The most important aspect is pressure. 3" steel shotshells are lower pressure and can be fired with a 2 3/4" receiver and the permissible 3" steel barrel. That shows the ejection port isn't the limiting factor. The 3" magnum and 3 1/2" super magnum receivers are built heavier to allow for the higher pressures of the magnum rounds. So far as I know, the 3" steel setup with a 2 3/4" receiver is the only setup where a 3" shell is permissible with a 2 3/4 receiver; it still requires the 3" steel barrel and the lower pressure steel shell.
  18. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

Shot 3" out of 2.3/4" semi auto

I had inadvernintly loaded up 3" in my Winchester 1400 12ga 2.3/4 during phesant hunting the shot a nice rooster just fine,the problem on ejection the longer hull jambed in the action had to use a pocket knife to cut down the hull to get it out.
    i was hunting with my kid brother and he had dumped all the shells on the seat and handed me a hand full for our pockets a odd 3"er got in there and he just read the shot size and 12ga on the head stamp, when huntng with family keep you ammo seperate.
    Last edited: May 29, 2008