winchester .284 model 70

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bobkegs, Dec 11, 2007.

1. bobkegs

bobkegs G&G Newbie

Have an opportunity to purchase a NIB win. mod 70 in .284. This is the rare one, with clip....mfgd in early 90's, with walnut stock.
    Can this gun be pillar bedded, given it has a clip?
    Asking price is $1000.00.
    Is this reasonable?
    bobkegs
  2. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Love that Model 70

Hi Bob, you have a dilemna(can't spell) and I don't envy you a bit. I am the custodian of a '52 Model 70 in .270 caliber. My son will become custodian after I'm gone. I've been told that my .270 was worth about $1200 before I mounted the scope on it. And after a few shots, I realized something. Don't fix something that ain't broke. My old rifle is fully bedded, wood to metal, and has never failed to perform. I was granted the opportunity to harvest a trophy blacktail three years ago. It had snowed and the temp. was in the teens. But that rifle shot like it was still summer. That buck has a permanant home in my gun room. I'd say a grand ain't bad, since they don't make 'em anymore, and I'd also say shoot it awhile and see if it needs work. Make sense? Just my personal opinion, Seabeescotty.
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

That would be a Winchester Model 70 Classic DBM in .284 Winchester...Blue Book Price is 695.00 for 100% NIB. There were less than 200 Mfg. If you buy it to keep New as an Investment for future Increase in Value, it might be worth it. If you are buying it to hunt with and shoot, Not worth it from a Collectors standpoint because Condition is everything when it comes to value...
  4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

It is always a difficult decision

Honestly, there is not an answer I could give you.
    Any investment in a rare or extremely rare firearm will carry some risk of future value. You might ask yourself these questions: 1. Am I willing to have it and keep it in its current condition - that is - not expose it to potential damage by hunting, carrying it around in a vehicle, perhaps getting a scratch on it at a practice bench? 2. Am I willing to have my money tied up perhaps for a long time before the value of the firearm makes a dramatic market gain (if it ever does)? On the other hand many people get a great satisfaction simply out of owning a rare or extremely rare firearm and that counts for a lot in their lives.
  5. bobkegs

bobkegs G&G Newbie

Thanks, gentlemen.

This causes me to ponder.....If I could pillar bed this rifle, would it negatively affect the value, all the rest being equal? Is it "bedable", given the close tolerances in the wood necessary to acommodate the clip?
  6. vern

vern G&G Newbie

Hi bob did you buy this model 70 284 there very nice guns hard to find always wanted one
  7. bobkegs

bobkegs G&G Newbie

Update, Vern

Have not bought the rifle yet. I would love to make the purchase, but it is to be a hunting rifle and the price is high. If I knew I could pillar bed the rifle, with room to spare, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Any thoughts?

Bob kegs
  8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Keep it NIB.
  9. bobkegs

bobkegs G&G Newbie

You really would pay $1000.00 for this gun? Bob
  10. vern

vern G&G Newbie

Bob the gun is worth $1000 nib if for any reason you decide not to buy hook me up i always wanted one. Brian
  11. vern

vern G&G Newbie

12. okole

okole Suspended

How did mounting a scope on your rifle affect its value (other than increasing it by the value of the scope)? For the price you quoted it would have to be in 98% or better condition or a super grade. None the less, my M70's are the pride of my collection of guns as I'm sure yours is to you.
  13. bobkegs

bobkegs G&G Newbie

Have not bought the gun yet, but it is still available. I will probably buy it, given its rarity value, but also to hunt with. This is still contingent upon whether or not I can free float and pillar bed the barrel. Is this gun bedable, given itd dbm? What do you guys think?
    Bob Kegs