Winchester Ammo Plant Moving Out Of Illinois

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by gandog56, Feb 4, 2011.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Unions would not bend, so they moving to Mississippi where it will be cheaper to run. Stupid union lost ALL those people their jobs.

And in Obama's back yard, too.
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I don't understand why all the manufacturers don't move into friendlier states. The South and most of the Central U.S. have lower overhead and more gun and ammo friendly people that would just love a job like that.
  3. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

I think that is what they have been doing, though not fast enough. Remember, Connecticut and Massachusetts were the "Meccas" for gun and ammo manufacturers. Damn, what more anti-gun state is there than Massachusetts? With few exceptions, the surrounding states and associated politics are not much better.

Years ago, FN USA set up their M16A2 plant in Columbia, South Carolina. They now make M-16A4 service rifles, M-242 Squad Automatic Rifles and M-240 machineguns for our armed forces. Their quality is second-to-none.

Southerners by tradition will work hard for fair pay. If a skilled worker is not happy, s/he seeks a better job. If enough skilled workers leave, then the employer will increase the pay and benefits. The "free market," it really works ... even for those who sell their labors to others.
  4. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

Like so many places if the workers are making a wage they can actually live with and not have to have government subsidies then some greed monger is going to work at taking that away. I know people that work there (one is now retired), they don't make alot of money and its not been a nice place to work for several years. The management that worked its way up thru the ranks is all but gone and in its place is fresh college wannabes eager to make a name for themselves and if that is at the expense of the company and torture and torment of thousands of lives it doesn't matter to them, its all about money and greed.

It would be nice to know how many billions of our taxpayer dollars Winchester has gotten over the years.

I will certainly sharply curtail my purchasing of Winchester ammo, they have been having their .223 made in Korea anyway.

tim
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Companies in the north have been moving their plants and/or corporate headquarters to southern states for several decades. Its all about exploitation of cheap labor like the unfettered influx of illegals at our borders. Just one more incremental step on our march to the NWO. 3rd grade math skills should make that clear to anyone who was even remotely cognizant of what is going on around them. Simple question, do you think Winchester is going to reduce ammo prices after they shed themselves of that "evil union labor"????????? Of course not; because that isn't the problem that they want you to believe it is, and 90% will fall for it hook, line, and sinker.
  6. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

ChaZam, I agree that neither Winchester, nor most companies out their are seeking to create reasons to lower prices for the benifit of the consumer. That is too bad for them. Like many hunters and shooters out there, I buy ammo made by Aguila and Wolf (being careful to avoid steel cased ammo in my "old" rifles) because their ammo, and other imported ammo is reasonably priced and of good quality. Look for foreign ammunition companies to open new plants in the U.S. to cut down on import costs and become even more competitve.

Unfortunately, Winchester, Federal and Remington are still living in "la-la land" and not realizing that they are missing out on a revolution in new shooters out there.

Even law enforcement agencies are moving away from them. The free market still lives, but not in the land that brought it to it's highest potential. Too bad. Maybe American industry will wake up one day, but not likely. Maybe they can make money on high priced luggage, key chains and ball caps with their "once-upon-a-time" logos emblazoned on them instead of ammo. Maybe some of them are reading this.
  7. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

MAYBE they think that the SHTF coming will be the South against the North (since it is halftime) and they want to be on the winning Pro-Gun side !!! LOL
    :yup:
  8. aaalaska

aaalaska G&G Newbie

Well moose in that case they should have moved north way north.Fairbanks comes to mind.
    Alex
  9. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

I wish one of these ammo manufactures.
    Would start up here in Alaska!

There I go, dreaming again!
  10. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Companies have to compete. Paying enough to to pay off the union bosses and the politicians is going to drive companies South. Hopefully not past the border. Halftime is a good show, Happy Superbowl Folks!
  11. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I don't blame Winchester or any other business for leaving Illinois. Illinois is doing nothing to keep businesses and everything to drive them out.

And the truth is, it's not only businesses leaving. People are leaving also. And I'm sure if the economy was better and there were jobs to be had, even more people would leave Illinois. I and my family would be one of them if I could help it. Even if it means or meant taking a loss on the sale of my home.
  12. trigger

trigger G&G Enthusiast

:Update: I shoot bulls-eye comp. at Olin/ winchester. The one being mentioned here, As of now, the move is off.
  13. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

House shopping in Wisconsin right now.. Looking forward to sending that letter to "Gov" Quinn that he's responsible for IL's loss of my tax dollars.
  14. ALR

ALR ][][][% Forum Contributor

Do you have any articles on/about it?
  15. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Here is a house warming present for you! :present:

Attached Files:

16. Paper

Thanks, but I spent my first 33 years of my life as a WI resident.. My first job was in a cheese factory.. I enjoy Limburger..

It won't be much of a change.. I live 2 miles south of the IL/WI state line right now.. :)
  17. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I, for one will be thrilled when you are back in this state and closer!!!!! You looking in the Stoughton area or where are you looking?
  18. Paper

Further West.. Blanchardville, New Glarus, Mount Horeb, etc.. Basically, SW of Madison.
  19. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

I've looked high and low for an article I read once, about how many millions of dollars that Illinois has lost simply because of their gun laws... or should I say "anti-gun" laws.

If anyone should run across that article, I'd sure like to see it again.
  20. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I did.