Winchester Model 100 .284 book Value and has a magazine problem

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by scoutman, Nov 22, 2008.

1. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

my uncle has this rifle and it has a mag problem and he was wanting to get a new gun to replace it well i have found out how good off gun it was and how good of a caliber the 284 was because my uncle has picked off deer with at 500 yards plus he said "its sighted in at 300 yards and you can just put it right on em any were in between and blast em". why can this round do this, is it right in the butter zone of very flat shooting. and I am very interested it buying it from him if he will sell because that gun has taken more deer than any other gun he has and he loves it. and it prolly has a lot of sentimental value to it and thats why he's been shooting it ever since he got it in the early 80s and has been shooting it with a mag problem ever since then also. And what advice can i give him for a gun that can shoot just as good or better because a person cant buy another 284 new they dont make any gun in this caliber anymore.

and what would the value of this gun be in 50% condition or better

scoutman:feedback:
  2. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

I think ultra light arms still chamber for the .284 win. You can always buy a .280 remington.
  3. wachtelhund

wachtelhund G&G Newbie

You mention a magazine problem. What kind of a magazine problem does it have. I have two win 100s, both .308; one is a rifle and one is a carbine.
  4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

IF the serial Number Range is 72,XXX it is pre-64 and has cut checkering, made less than 1 year...so it is valuable...about 500 bucks in 50% shape today...
    Rich
  5. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

thanks how would you fix the magazine problem my uncle was telling me a couple of days ago that he would always leave the shells in the mag year round and he thinks thats why the gun jams on him after the first shot because he thinks he wore out he spring in the clips is there any way a person could fix that
  6. wachtelhund

wachtelhund G&G Newbie

Purchase either a new magazine spring or magazine from E-gun parts. Magazines go for around $50.00 to $75.00 on Ebay.
  7. mopowerdan

mopowerdan G&G Newbie

Hello, Dan here. I to have a model 100 (.243) with a magazine problem. When the mag is inserted into the gun and locked into place and a round is chambered it works fine. When it cycles sometimes it will chamber a second round but never a third. The catch on the back of the mag isn't worn out and the pawl on the bolt is nice and sharp. The pawl moves with the bolt when cycling though and this I don't understand as it releases the mag. Any ideas? Am I missing a part, it all seems to be complete?.. Any info or advise would be greatly appriciated! Dan