winchester model 100 in .308

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by gibsonlp24, May 29, 2006.

1. gibsonlp24

gibsonlp24 G&G Newbie

bought a model 100 a little while back and i am not sure what year it is from...serial number 12XXX...i have heard about a recall but i cant find any information. i had shot it before i heard and it was fine but i would like to know about it...also any other info about this rifle would be appreciated...thanks
  2. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

Mine has a serial # starting 411xx it was made in 1961. I can't seem to find the link to the site right now but if I find it I will post it.

This is not the site I was refering to but it might help. If your rifle has a 22" bbl it sounds like a 1961 rifle.

This is the phone # to check if your firing pin has been replaced
    1-800-852-5734

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additionalinfo/winchesterl_88_100.htm
    Last edited: May 30, 2006
  3. gibsonlp24

gibsonlp24 G&G Newbie

thanks a lot for that...big help. if anyone else has anything 4 me that would be greatly appreciated.

:guitar:
  4. Aligater

Aligater G&G Newbie

I bought one when they first came out....seems like it was around 1963. Anyway, it was the same year they came out with a fiberglass wound barrell on their Autoloader Shotgun. The model 100 is held together by the stock. If you take it apart, the reassembly will cause you to start drinking. I really don't want to hurt your feelings, but there were several reasons they stopped production on these rifles. I traded mine plus $300 for a Remington BDL. Good Luck.
    Bruce Payne (Aligater)
  5. BillH

BillH G&G Newbie

Winchester Model 100 Hammer Lock

The Winchester Model 100 rifle has a part called a "Hammer Lock" on the parts list. The part has a notch on the front that seems like it would mate with a corresponding notch on the back of the hammer to "lock" the hammer, as the name implies. On my model 100, the hammer lock does not seem to engage the hammer. Is it supposed to? Can someone explain the operation of this part?

Thanks, Bill
  6. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

Take it to a gunsmith before you shoot it. These rifles had a long history of accidental discharges. Winchester never could seem to fix the problem. That is one of the reasons they went out of production.
  7. BillH

BillH G&G Newbie

Winchester Model 100 Hammer Lock

Thanks RFC357. This gun recently had unusual discharges. It entered "full auto" fire. Some internet posts seem to call this "slam fire". After brief inspection and a couple of more shots, it fired while closing the bolt while loading, with the safety on. I did a thorough cleaning, taking apart all of the gas mechanism and bolt parts. The three piece bolt mechanism did seem sticky with dirty oil and some metal shavings, but worked smooth after cleaning and reassembly. When I noticed the "hammer lock" in the trigger mechanism operating counter to my intuition, I didn't dissassemble it, wanting to know more about normal operation before digging into it. I've reassembled the gun and no problems have repeated in about 20 shots. The gun has the safety recall firing pin installed. I'll be taking this to a gunsmith before next hunting season. If anyone has specifics the gunsmith should look for, please let me know.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  8. ffroggy

ffroggy G&G Newbie

Can the trigger pull on my winchester 100 be adjusted or does it have to be honed or replaced with another assembly?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  9. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

The full auto issue was the reason for the recall. Has the firing pin been replaced on your rifle?
  10. BillH

BillH G&G Newbie

Yes, Pumpkinheaver, the firing pin has been replaced through the safety recall. I have a receipt that says it was replaced in 1991. I called the Winchester 100 recall number and their records confirm it was replaced. I've taken the firing pin out and it has the "flat sides" that the replacement pin is supposed to have. Bill
  11. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

Inside of the reciever it should have been punched with a number or letter showing that the recall was done. I've heard of this problem for a long time, and it's one of the reasons why I haven't purchased one yet. You are right, it is called "slam firing" When the bolt "slams" forward on the firing/reloading stroke. If I'm not mistaken, our old M-60 machine guns fired in much the same way, but these were intended to do that.
  12. wachtelhund

wachtelhund G&G Newbie

I own two Win Model 100's, a rifle and carbine, both in .308. Both have had the firing pins replaced and both function perfectly. I use the carbine all the time for deer hunting in Northern Wisconsin. The key to reliable functioning is keeping them clean and don't drop the magazines. My carbine occassionally jammed. I replaced the extractor spring with one slightly stiffer and it has never had a jam since and now throws the cases 15 feet or more. I'm now in the process of glass bedding the carbine to tighen up its groups. I did the rifle several years ago. Actually they are very easy to take apart. Remove the forearm and trigger guard screws, pull the bolt handle all the way back, while holding it there lift the front of the barrel up tilting it away from the stock and remove the complete action from the stock. Once you do this a couple of time it becomes very easy. It is sad that Winchester quit making them as they are a great gun, better than the Remingtom semi-auto, but alas Winchester is now too gone. The reason Winchester quit making them was the high cost to manufacter them and not because they jammed as commonly believed, they just couldn't compete price wise with Remington's semi-auto.
  13. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

Thanks Wachtelhund for the great info. I've got a M-88, M-1200, M-290, and M-490. Love them all!!!:kiss:
  14. Elk4me

Elk4me G&G Newbie

I also have the carbine model and love it. I have only carried it to hunt a couple times because I like my other guns for accuracy more. I guess practice on my part may help also. I have a problem with mine now because I can't get the gas plug out. I am going to have to soak it in Kroil I guess.
  15. nfmMike

nfmMike G&G Newbie

Wachtelhund thats all good to know - I just acquired a rifle and saw all the stuff about recall and all and thought I was gonna be sorry, but, I'll give the number a call, see what they have to say and getteh firing pin changed out.

Then I hope to have some fun with it.
  16. Billy Vitt

Billy Vitt G&G Newbie

100 .308

Just bought my own and called the firing pin number provided on this site. Found out that it had not been replaced and will be taking care of that shortly.

There is another problem though:

When I was reassembling the rifle I noticed that the upper locking screw on the stock had nothing to screw into. The piece which is inside the stock was missing and the lady I bought it from knows nothing about guns.
    I think her husband had glued the screw in place.

Any idea where I can find that part? I do not want to put a band on it.
  17. 16pointbuck

16pointbuck G&G Newbie

winchester model 100

this is to Yogibsonlp24 the year of you gun is a 1961
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  18. BigBlack

BigBlack G&G Newbie

The lock catches the hammer while the trigger is pulled. When you release the trigger the hammer enguagement is transfered from this lock to the notch on the front of the hammer which is held by the trigger. If the rear lock is not in place the gun will fire upon closing of the bolt, actually when the fonr parts starts rotating downward, converting it to a full unsafe auto.
  19. BigBlack

BigBlack G&G Newbie

It is a post in front of the gas block mechanism PART 2788, where you will get one I do not know, but without it it will be putting a lot of stress on the rifle and stock under recoil

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  20. BigBlack

BigBlack G&G Newbie

If you still have this problem shoot me a PM, I had one that would double tap even after the recall. I found the problem to be the previous owner grinded on the trigger but did not grind on the mating surface for the lock.