Winchester Model 1902 delema.

Discussion in 'Antique Firearms' started by Benji64, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Benji64

Benji64 G&G Newbie

My Grandpa Bill had a 1902 that I got when he passed in 1980. Back then, I ran a rod and brush thru it, cleaned it up a bit by wiping some oil on it. I joined the Army, and when I came home every now and then, I clean it and a few others up, and put them back.
    Fast forward to now, in the process of steaming the stock I discover that there is a split in the wood that goes from the wrist all the way to the forend. It appeared that the original owner had attempted to wrap it around a tree, say, in the the '40's. (Not my Grandpa, I know for a fact.) I have uncovered the split and have removed a huge ammount of wood putty and what appears to be finishing nails used to hold the left and righ halves of the stock together. There is also holes drilled in the forend and the but where a sling attachment would be. To top it all off, someone had attempted to "checker" the wrist and forend on one side only.

My questions would be;
    Should I remove the remainder of the putty and nails as best as I can and Gorilla glue the stock together or acquire a new stock?
    Say I am sucessful at getting the original stock together. Should I open up the holes or fill them in again with putty along with the checkering?

Let me know your thoughts, please. Enjoy the attached pics anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

that is just too ugly! i would try and find a replacement stock, and fix the old one as last resort.
  3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

4. Benji64

Benji64 G&G Newbie

I agree with both sentaments! Thanks. As from one of the pics, you can see where I replaced the take-down screw that was hobbled with something a bit more pleasing in shape alone, just needs a little paint, thats all.
    So next question when I get the stock;
    Drill a hole for sling like the kid did, or leave it alone? <I feel leave alone, but I did see a 1902 that was on a auction site with the same deal. ---Leave the "new" stock alone, repair old stock as it was--->
    Thanks for the input!!
  5. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

6. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

Check out these before & after pictures.

Attached Files:

7. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

I go along with the recommendations of replacing the stock. There appears to be too much damage and the wood appears to be close to being decayed; not to mention the shoddy workmanship and the use of wrong parts by whomever requiring repair.

Refinishing a stock in fairly good condition is one thing; refinishing a 'blown' stock is seldom worth the effort. Most putties are not stainable and the repaired holes will show after refinishing; same for glues. You would need to use reinforcing pins for such a large crack. BTW, Gorilla glue will work just fine on wood; just don't over-do it.

When you consider the cost of materials, your time, and the fact you will most likely end up with a poorly refinished looking stock after all the work involved...$80 doesn't seem all that bad.

Try looking at the Boyds' web-site, you may find a compatible stock for a little less money.

I bet the holes for sling swivels will already be drilled into the replacement stock...if not, think about this...do you really need a sling?
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. Benji64

Benji64 G&G Newbie

That checkering only reminds me of what a kid would do to be honest with you. I recall seeing both the 1902 and the Savage Junior 11 in the sad shape they were in. I don't recall much other than him whistleing. That and "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" on TV.
    Thanks all.
  9. Benji64

Benji64 G&G Newbie

Hey Grampa, just wanted you to know that I have the new stock coming in about 10 days. When I get home, we can work on it together.

Mom says Hello, but you already knew that. I sure wish you could have met ToniAnne.

:-((