Winchester Model 670 .30-06 info needed

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by LakerDad, Apr 6, 2008.

1. LakerDad

LakerDad G&G Newbie

I was wondering if anyone would know the history and approx. valve of a scoped .30-06 Model 670 Winchester. I have not seen it, I should have it some time tomorrow. I know the scope is a hit or miss item and as well as the condition of the gun. This is the first I had heard of this model. The Model 70 is the one I would really like to have. From what I have found so far is, it is most likely a hardwood stock, not walnut??? Maybe they product this model as a cheaper version of the model 70?
  2. Dbl gun

Dbl gun G&G Newbie

Yes, it was a no frills, cheaper version of the Model 70. Check gunbroker/auction arms to see what they are going for.
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Blue book runs 200 to 300 for 90% to 100%...Mfg.67-73.
    Rich
  4. LakerDad

LakerDad G&G Newbie

Thanks, that helps a bunch!!!! I still have not got to see it, the daughter was to bring it home, I guess the need to sell is not of a priority. LOL oh well, I might find something else to buy. :)
  5. LakerDad

LakerDad G&G Newbie

Well, I have the rifle and it's been well taken care for a hunting gun. A 4x scope and leather sling, the wood is nice not fancy straight grain wood w/full monte carlo fixin's and checkering. Scope has crisp lens. The wife bought it for me but I will let the young man buy it back later on if he wants it back. Hope the pics will show up okay. Thanks again for the help! :)

Attached Files:

6. turner

turner Suspended

Congrats, it looks like a nice rifle. If you decide to keep it and want to stock it with a nice piece of Walnut, this place has some good deals/prices. It appears the 670 is listed right along with mod 70 and 770. I just ordered a new stock to replace the fiberglass one on my M96. The folks there are very helpfull. I setteled on a grade AA "second" at a very reasonable price. 99% inletted and ready to finish.
  7. onearcher

onearcher G&G Newbie

I bought one of these back in 1976 and paid 150 NEW. Shot over 30 Deer here in Maine then needed money for the DIVORCE. Wish I could find another, that was the best friearm I'd ever owned. Tack driver at 200 yards.
  8. ROSSERMED

ROSSERMED G&G Newbie

I have the exact same gun Bro!
  9. ROSSERMED

ROSSERMED G&G Newbie

Winchester Model 670 30.06

Here's my little sweetheart.......

Attached Files:

10. LakerDad

LakerDad G&G Newbie

nice, good ol 06, I'm glad I found the one I have, I had not knew that this model was even made until this past year. The model 70 was the gun to look up to back when I was growing up. :)
  11. bulletsneverlie

bulletsneverlie G&G Newbie

Just wanted to say, I just picked one up for $80 today from a friend of the family, with a nice strap, but no scope. I'm currently cleaning it. It's been in a closet since the 80's. Yours looks just like mine. Mine is missing the rear sight, but I don't care, I'll get one from somewhere. I hear they kick like mules.
  12. ottsixx

ottsixx G&G Newbie

Winchester 670 is the equivilent of remingtons 788 the cheaper version to buy but usually shoot pretty damn good.............
  13. kokoroo

kokoroo G&G Newbie

winchester model 670

two months ago i purchased 2 winchester model 670's in .243win for a very minimal sum and after a bit of barrel floating work on one have been
    pleasantly surprised with the accuracy and the smootheness of the
    workings. My thirteen year old son fired one first at a rock some sixty
    yards away to get the feel of his first shot with a centerfire, then managed a hundred and seventy yard head shot on a wormy roo under
    a low powered spotlight. he's happy with his and I have no complaints
    and I dont have to worry too much about the odd scratch or ding!
    Shame the ammo's not so cheap anymore though!
  14. littledragon

littledragon G&G Newbie

i've owned mine for 12 years, doesn't kick hard
  15. ajvalve

ajvalve G&G Newbie

fine rifle

The 670 30-06 with a 4X or 6X scope (can't remember which) from K-Mart in 1976 cost me $135. Three deer hunts, once in South Texas, once in West Texas, and once in East Texas, yielded 1 buck each. All three dropped in their tracks. It seems unlikely a more expensive rife would have yielded better results. I still have it, with an upgraded scope; looks like new. If I ever shoot another deer, I will most likely be shooting the 670!
  16. PowderHorn

PowderHorn G&G Newbie

2 cents worth on 670

I've owned my 670 .30-06 since the late 80's. Paid 300 for it and a 6x scope. I've taken about 10 deer with it. It has always shot well as far as hunting accuracy goes but a couple years ago the 6 power quit me so I put a used Nikon 3x9 on it. With 125 gr. hand loads it shot a 1/2" group at 100 yds. I have semi retired the gun and now use a new mod 70 w/Leupold 3x9x40 in .270 Win. As was written earlier, I've been told by a couple dealers that the 670 was made between '67 and '73 as a "low end or bargain" version of the Mod 70. Whatever the dollar value,the bolt on my old gun is still smooth as silk and will be mine until it's time to hand it down to the next generation. I would love to have one in .243 in 95% condition or better. I've seen one years ago but it was over priced for it's condition. It had open sights which mine does not, although it is drilled and tapped for open sights. Would like to put open sights and recoil pad on my old gun. Any info on sources for these parts would be appreciated.
  17. OtU300winmag

OtU300winmag G&G Newbie

I've owned my 670 (the first one) since 1968. I'd decided I wanted more authority than the .243 I had, so I found this one SLIGHTLY used, in .300 Win Mag. Store guy said a person had fired a few rounds and decided it kicked too much, and traded it back in. I forget the MSRP @ the time, but the tag said $109.95, I think that was about $30 off "new" price ... I traded in the .243 (neverMIND whut kind ... yes, I wish I had it back ... but I've never been sorry I got the .300WM ... ) with a 'scope on it, for $9.95, and he threw in a box of ammo ... I had about $140 into the .243, and I'd used it for one Pronghorn and eight deer seasons ...
    So ... since then, I can't even guess how many deer it has helped me tag, and several pronghorn, as well as filling both my OIL moose and elk tags, and numerous smaller critters ...
    Since then, between my son and I, we've acquired ... um ... two 670s in .243, a .264 WinMag ... and ... I think (dang, so much inventory I can't even remember ... but I'm old, so the memory is skipping a few spots) a .308 ...
    Yes, from all I've learned over the years about this model, it's as I've always said, the "Poor man's Model 70" ...
    Recent prices I've seen, since about 2005, range around $350-450 Retail, depending upon caliber and condition ... most of those have had 'scopes on them, but mostly the cheap-o crap that gets immediately replaced before it's in my vault.
    I wouldn't trade any of them for another rifle, I'm quite satisfied with the overall performance of the entire item. Accuracy is as good as one might hope for, given that most/many of us shooters aren't quite as good as the ordnance we use ... in other words, I think the rifle shoots better than I'm capable of doing, unless I'm sandbagged on a bench.
    Loads I've used in the .300 in the past were IMR 4831 ... used to be ... um ... 80+ grains? I forget ... now it's about 65.5 grains ... went to Nosler partition 150-grain long ago, but switched to Barnes TSX 180-grain after I saw how effective that bullet wuz on the moose My Bride shot in 2008. (With that in .30-'06, she put hers down with one shot, broke both shoulders and punched a lung ... the critter never got up again ... I wuz really proud of her ... )
    All-time favorite rifle, and the one upon which I rely the most, for anything from fox up to moose-sized game/varmint shootin' ... tho I'll admit the .264 WM is a close second, while the 670 in .243 belongs to My Bride, and now the grandkids have started shooting that one ...
  18. LakerDad

LakerDad G&G Newbie

Thanks all, for some real nice postings! I think I did good and will start looking for other 270's. What calibers were they made in? Thanks guys...
  19. millertime

millertime G&G Newbie

Looks like I'm late to the party, but I love my 670 too. It's the first gun I bought, and the only one I deer/elk hunt with. Mine isn't the prettiest gun in the woods, but I paid a lot less than most my buddies. I don't have any plans of replacing it. I am going to refinish the stock however. Enjoy your 670, you won't be disappointed.
  20. mohawkman

mohawkman G&G Newbie

model 670 30-06

I have had my 670 30-06 for about 10 years now. Picked it up in a pawn shop. I just wanted something to shoot some targets with. I live in Tennessee where the deer hunting is really good. I have a Marlin 35 lever action I use and a winchester 270 that I use for deer and with good results. I tried the 670 one year and and got a four pointer with it. I realy like the way it operates. One shot he was down. I still use it with great results. Mine had a Leupold scope on it with the same leather strap Iam seeing on the ones in the pictures. I looked up date and it was made in 1977and it has the blonde stock with the monte carlo and is in excellent shape. It has a place right along side of my other rifles. I know it was a cheaper entry level rifle but it performs like the big boys.