Winchester Ranger 30-30

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by lubright, Jan 3, 2008.

1. lubright

lubright G&G Newbie

Hello, The first gun I ever purchased was a Winchester Ranger 30-30. Recently, someone has wanted to purchase this rifle from me, but I have no idea of it's age or value. I really love this gun and am having deep reservations about selling it. Can someone guide me in the right direction or help me figure out its age and worth ?
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

True worth

The true value of a gun to you is often not related to the market price. From what you write I simply would not part with this gun. It would not be worth the "regret cost" to you.
  3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

The Ranger was new in 1985. Depending on the condition the value could range from around 250 for 98% down to a little over $100 for less than perfect. However values vary in different parts of the country. Based on what you said I hope you find a way to not part with it.
  4. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I recently, as little as last month, bought a Winchester Model 94AE in 30-30. I paid a little more then it was worth because it was in and had excellent furniture and was 100% blue. I paid $650.00 + $25,00 for shipping and insurance from Idaho to IL.. I was willing to pay more for better furniture and excellent bluing. I however did not get the original box or paperwork. Like I needed another box to store anyhow. lol

If you do a search on GunBroker.com, you'll find the Ranger is selling anywhere from $450.00 to $600.00 for NIB specimens. I you check out a good magazine shelf you'll find a Shooting Times Winchester Special Collectors Edition. It has values based on % for both model 94s and model 70s.

For your Winchester Model 94 Ranger 30-30 20" barrel NIB it says they've recently sold for $350-$450.00,add 15% for attached 4X32 scope. Then it goes on to give % values, wood and blue wear of the following: 60%=$125.00, 70%= $150.00, 80%=$175.00, 90%=$200.00,95%= $250.00,98%=$300.00 and 100% is marked N/A. These are used prices. I'm assuming the N/A for 100% blue and wood is due to even though it may be used it looks new and it was hard to estimate. These prices were quoted from a Steve Fjestad Editor and Publisher of the Blue Book of Gun Values 28th Edition.

Again, as the other member stated, what it is worth to you. I would go to Gun Broker and check current and past sales and current open auctions to see what they've sold and are currently selling for.
    However, if it were me, I'd hang onto it. If I had to sell it, I'd ask a buy it now of $575.00 and a reserve of $550.00 if I were to sell it at n online auction site.
    I hope this has helped..

Also, there is a website you can enter the serial number and get the year of issue. It will not give you a value though.

Winchester
    Manufacture Dates
    <------------------- LINK
    Click on the model 94 and enter the serial number if not over 5103249. Mine is in the 6s so it wouldn't help me out either.

G_Meister
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  5. lubright

lubright G&G Newbie

My goodness, you folks are truly incredible! I tried looking up the serial number on the suggested winchester manufacturers link, but I could not find reference to "ranger" and the serial number is not within the range of that data base. Your replies seem to indicate this might be a '94' model. I am so grateful to each of you for helping me, I think I just needed reinforcing about keeping the gun. Not so much because of its value, but she was my first love and its worth keeping just for the fun we've had. Thanks to all of you. If you can guide me to another site where I might confirm the serial number, I would be very grateful.
  6. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

Well, they don't make them any longer. That is probaley why the guy wants to buy it. I would keep it if I were you. Value - my guess would be around $500 give or take a little depending on condition.
  7. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

If you didn't know Winchester does'nt manufacture leveraction rifles any more.
    That doesn't mean it's a collecter item, but it does mean it can go up in resale value.
    I would hang on to it if it were mine, you said you loved it so keep it...A.H

By the way folks Winchester has set up shop in Columbia, SC. to manufacture model 70
    Boltactions rifles again, they have a new advanced trigger system and be the pre-64 style rifles with the claw extracter.
    They'll be several models...A.H
  8. lubright

lubright G&G Newbie

My serial number is higher than the winchester manufacturere's site allows. 616xxx. So I can't immediately tell its exact age. But nonetheless, she stays with me. Not gonna sell, not gonna do it. Thanks again folks.
  9. GlockMeister

As I mentioned lubright, mine also was higher then the site would except. Do not let that sway you or worry you. My thinking is that it was then made in 2006, the last year they manufactured them. I though I saw you'd said it was purchased new in 1975, me thinks i read the wrong thread and answered yours thinking that date was with yours.

No worries though.

Again, the serial # on mine starts with a 6 also, just means made more than likely in 2006.

JUST KEEP IT!

Oh and by the way, I bought mine to shoot it, not to keep it as a safe queen..So it doesn't matter to me when it was made. lol

G_Meister
  10. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

:burnout::You_Rock_Emoticon:
  11. lubright

lubright G&G Newbie

I agree about keeping her to shoot. I just got renewed energy about taking her to the range this weekend. I bought her in 1996. So I will try and find out exactly her age as you have suggested. Best Regards,
  12. GlockMeister

Well if you bought it in 1996, trust me, it wasn't made in 2006. I was under the assumption you recently bought it. I went back and I misread your initial post. (So Solly) I gotta quit multi-tasking! lol

Did you buy it new in 1996? If so, it may have been made in 95 or 96, depending on when in 96 you bought it. If you have any of the original paperwork, it may say something in it about when?

If you've decided to keep it though, don't worry about when it was made unless you go to sell it...

G_Meister
  13. lubright

lubright G&G Newbie

no papers, bought it from my local gun dealer. Know very little about it as you can tell. It was slightly used. You are right about pursuing its date very far. Just curious. It seems to have sparked several peoples attention over hear. Probably because, as someone stated, they don't make'em anymore.
  14. rummage4saleCOM

rummage4saleCOM G&G Newbie

I was searching the web tonight looking for some information on a pistol I own and found this site and the link on the Winchester 94 Ranger. These posts sparked a memory, I remember winning one years ago at a Ducks Unlimited Banquet. It took me an hour to find the gun burried deep and out of sight in a spare bedroom closet. It's in the original box with all the papers and hammer extension. The price tag on the gun is $289.99. I think I won the gun around 1988 or so. My oldest daughter (now 20) claims I told her she could have the gun so I guess I'll hold it and see if she ever gets married and has a son. I'd love to hand the rifle over to that grandson someday! Thanks for the memory!.
  15. GlockMeister

Yep, either way I'd hang onto it if I were you and if I ever gave it to a son or daughter, a two conditions would be, they take good care of it and that they never sell it, that they always pass it down and keep it in the immediate family...

I wished I'd of gotten at least one of the old guns my moms dad had. They all went to her brothers kids because we'd moved away. Still in Illinois mind you, just a could hundred miles away. Bogus reason if you ask me, but they felt they had more claim because they were there more often. O'well. Such is life. lol
  16. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

GM- I remember you telling this story before, and I also remember telling you that my Dad gave his "good" rifles to my Older Brother, who immediately sold them !! I've never had the heart to tell the Old Man, but I have never let my brother forget it !!
  17. Rleversole

Rleversole G&G Newbie

Very interesting information about the Win. Ranger. I have one that I got new in 1994, marked on the barrel "1894 -- 1994", that has never been fired and in perfect condition. I'm thinking about using it for hunting, but if it is worth more than I can buy a new 270 for, I'd probably sell or keep it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ric
    Fort Collins, CO