Winchester SXP Defender

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by jt185, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

I just acquired a Winchester SXP Defender. I realized going into the deal that aftermarket accessories are slim to none, but the SXP has great action and fits me perfectly. The only shortcoming to me is the 5 round magazine tube.

Question: Is there a magazine tube extension out there that will fit the SXP without making major modifications?
    Thanks.
  2. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

Low-budget HD.
    [​IMG]
  3. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

I am a firm believer that if you ever need more that 5 rounds in your 12 gauge, you deserve whatever is coming your way ;) Personally I feel that a double barrel is more than enough to cover my bedroom hallway; no room clearing or door breaching for me!

That is one great looking shotgun btw, tape a light on it and call it done!
  4. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

I was also thinking 5+1 in the chamber should be enough for inside the house. I'll likely leave it stock. A flashlight is a good idea. Duct tape?
  5. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

Yes, good silver duct tape! We don't need no fancy rails n' clamps! Actually I do like the flashlight mounted in the forend rig, that is a pretty nice idea.
  6. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

I've had this thing out at the range. It is simply the fastest pump shotgun I've ever fired. I really like it. 3 inch loads are brutal on the shoulder with the light weight, short barrel. Lots of muzzle flash with 3 inchers. I'll use 2 3/4 " shells.
  7. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

Mounted a Surefire G2X Tactical with a MOD-C light clamp from CDM Gear. A clean low profile mount that functions well. I bought the G2X for $55.00 before Surefire raised the price to 95 bucks which is outrageous. It's a great light, but they went too far with the new price IMO. [​IMG]
  8. driftingrz

driftingrz G&G Newbie

thats a great looking shotgun. looks like a modern, Clean Tactical version of my old winchester 1300 Defender. im assuming its got the same action as you say its the fastest pump gun. they have a reputation for that.

[​IMG]
  9. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

They say it's the same action as the 1300. I really like the look of your 1300 in the picture there. not to mention the other weapons.
  10. driftingrz

driftingrz G&G Newbie

thanks. sold the AR though... heres what my defender looked like when i first bought it... ive put alot of love into this gun. paid $120 for it off the beater rack at a LGS... apparently a felon had owned the gun and painted it to look like a toy, red/orange tip and all... and he ended up in jail and this eventually to the gun shop.. had no finish on the metal at all. so i redid wood and steel... my favorite Boomstick by far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sure was an ugly *******. hahaha.

[​IMG]

sorry, if im hijacking a lil bit.. but anyways that winchester will treat you well. great guns
  11. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

No need to apologize! Makes me want to go buy the 1300 a LGS has. It looks like it's new. They're asking 300 for it. Maybe too much. No?
  12. driftingrz

driftingrz G&G Newbie

which model of the 1300 is it? id try to talk him down a lil... but even then thats not a bad deal for a great shotgun. considering they were discontinued... for a while atleast from what i remembered reading a while back... i think there making them again now though...

another reason i like them is theyre not nearly as common as all the mossberg 500s and 870s everybody else has. i like having different stuff. ive had quite a few questions and compliments about my winchester while at the range throwing slugs down range
  13. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

I didn't look closely at it other than it was tagged as a Winchester 1300 Defender. It looks like a new version of what you have pictured. I'll probably have to pass on it since I just bought the SXP. I like the idea that the 1300 has extended mag and a few more accessories available, of which I probably don't need either.
  14. driftingrz

driftingrz G&G Newbie

true, id like to have one of those sxp like yours just to have one a little more Lightweight, atleast im assuming it would be a descent bit lighter with the shorter mag tube and synthetic furniture
  15. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Try ATI for an after market stock. Here's my Mav 88 with one.

Attached Files:

16. driftingrz

driftingrz G&G Newbie

i would.... but i couldnt bring myself to replace that pretty wood with plastic... just have to buy another shotgun that already has plastic :)
  17. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

The rotating bolt that locks allows it to be designed with lighter weight aluminum machined receiver as well. 6.5 lbs. total weight.
  18. driftingrz

driftingrz G&G Newbie

mine is aluminum aswell. noticably lighter than 870s ive handled despite the wood
  19. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

Winchester makes a fine pump, even the import SXP is high quality. I had an old Model 1912 that I inherited from my grandfather. It was stolen which makes my furious whenever I think about it. It was a gem. I have a 1977 Wingmaster in great shape that is my favorite shotgun. It just fits me perfect and I can shoot it best.
  20. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

I caved in. I had to get it. 294. out the door.
    [​IMG]