Winslow rifles

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by azgunnut01, Jun 30, 2009.

1. azgunnut01

azgunnut01 G&G Newbie

Anyone familiar with Winslow rifles? Is there a guide to tell which grade of rifle you have? I have one, but don't know what grade it is.
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The only info I have on "Winslow Rifles is it was a custom stock Mfg.,in California that made custom stocks that had extreme embelishments like rollover cheek and pistol grips.There is no real history I can find and they have been out of business for several years.You can still find Winslows in the auctions now and then.But if I wanted to get info I would go to either the Cody web page,or better yet,the Guns&Ammo web. ,,,sam.
  3. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

Winslow rifles were manufactured in Camden, South Carolina by Winslow Arms Company, I think the last year of manufacture was in 1989.
    The action is F.N. Supreme Mauser, Mark X Mauser, Remington 700, Sako 788 and Winchester 70. There are 8 different grades, some pics would help out for identification purposes. I can say they were well built and quite accurate.
    The grades are as follows:

Commander grade
    Regal grade
    Regent grade
    Regimental grade
    Crown grade
    Royal grade
    Imperial grade
    Emperor grade
    Calibers are too many to list. Post some pics!!
  4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Put Winslow Arms Co.on your search bar and there is quite a bit of info.You may have to purchase some on grade and price. ,,,sam.
  5. azgunnut01

azgunnut01 G&G Newbie

Here is a picture. I found a lot of info, but I couldn't find anything showing me the different grades.

Attached Files:

6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Can't say for sure but I would think they are graded like Rimfirenut listed them with lowest grade first and highest grade last.By the way,thanks remfire for posting the info.I recall bumping into Winslow rifles at one time or another but always thought it was just the stock.I do remember they were pricey. Wish I could find more on them.Will keep looking.Hope remfire and others keep posting as this is intresting. ,,,sam.
  7. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

azgunnut01, What you have is the crown grade, very nice I must say!!
    The value for this grade is from $1000-$1500 if there are inlays and engraving it can increase these figures considerably!
    What cal. is it and what is the BBL. length??
    The grades start at commander and go up to emperor, so yours is almost the best grade available.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  8. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

Just talked with a friend who has one of these rifles and he really loves his, he has the Imperial grade and was offered $3500 for it!! He also stated that it will shoot with the best built bolt guns of today. I would never get rid of it as values are on the increase every year!
  9. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here is an original catalog, you might even have the Regimental grade, if so the value for that grade is $900-$1300 or more if there is more engraving and other special order stuff. Hope this helps out.:smirk:
    :[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    7:[​IMG]
  10. WhiteFalcon

WhiteFalcon G&G Newbie

The Commander looks just like a Parker Hale

Attached Files:

11. azgunnut01

azgunnut01 G&G Newbie

Thanks everyone. Mine is in 7mm mag and has a nice ivory grip cap on it. Unfortunately it has my uncle's initials. I'll post the barrel length later. Have my grandson over and he's sleeping in the room where my gun safe is so I don't want to get it out and measure it right now. Thanks especially to rimfirenut for the catalog posting.
  12. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

Make sure you keep it in the family, your grandson will enjoy it someday also. Should be a 26" BBL. I have seen these on auction from $2000 to around $6500 and selling!
    There seems to be a strong following towards Winslow rifles and a mess of still satisfied customers.
    Special order rifles were available with the F.N. Supreme action and Douglas premium barrels.
    Make's the value go over the moon!!
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  13. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

What a Great Thread. Nice job members !
  14. Tigercat200

Tigercat200 G&G Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread but I just found it. I bought my Dad's Winslow a couple of years ago and he still had the brochure. Winslow started out in Venice, Florida and guarateed minute of angle at 100 yards accuracy. If anyone is interested, I can fill in some more information from the brochure. By the way, prices started at $305 and went up to whatever you wanted to spend. Dad still had the hang tag and it was $416. You couldn't touch what I now have now for under a couple of thousand I would guess.

I compare your picture to the Winslow catalog and you do indeed have the Crown grade. The list price at the time was $714.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  15. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 G&G Newbie

The Winslow Arms Co. was based in Camdon, SC

Started in 1962, and went out of business in the 1980s.

Many of the rifles are still around, but most have had the very dated stocks changed. You rarely see one that is as built.

The grades and prices were:

Camander Grade...................$425

Regal Grade.........................$500

Regent Grade.......................$625

Regimental Grade..................$775

Crown Grade........................$1200

Royal Grade.........................$1400

Imperial Grade......................$3000

Emperor Grade......................$5500

It is my opinion that the rifle you have is either the Crown Grade,or the Royal Grade!

The rifles were even in the lowest grade somewhat expensive in 1960, but today rarely sell for the prices they did new, simply because of the dated styling that is no longer very popular. The ones that sell the best are the ones made on the FN supreme actions, and winchester Mod 70 actions. The chamberings ranged from .222 Rem on the bottom, to the 458 Win Mag on the top!

Hope any of this helps!
  16. Tigercat200

Hate to throw a clinker into your mix, Mac, but the Winslow catalog I have says Venice, Florida and even has a picture of the building that says Winslow Co, Arms Division. This was before the move to Camden and the prices run from the Commander Grade at $305 up to the Emperor Grade at $3,500. They must have raised their prices when the moved to Camden. I've been trying to place the age of the one I got from my Dad and it looks like the early 60's or instead of later. The prices on the rifles could go up tremendously depending upon the number of ebony and ivory inlays, amount and type of carving on the stock and amount of engraving. I don't agree that the price doesn't hold up. I've only seen one on Gunbroker and it went for over $ 2,000, well over the original price. I haven't checked lately so things may have changed.
    You and I are the only ones to post to this thread since 2009. I was hoping to get it revived and see if anyone had an article or add from the gun magazines back then. My Dad is 92 and he told me the other day that he thought he read about the Winslow in American Rifleman but he wasn't sure. I do remember that he saved, traded, and sold so he could have it and it's not for sale. I sold my other 22-250 so I could have this one. Still shoots minute of angle or better.
    Check out the 50 cent price on their catalog.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  17. FortyXDM

FortyXDM Super Moderator

I am not sure, but I think Midas knows quite a bit about these rifles.

Tom
  18. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Yup, I do know one thing, I know they are ugly, with all the grace and beauty of a Bourbon Street hooker!!!
  19. Tigercat200

I have to agree with you about the upper grades, Midas. They are just plain gaudy to me. Mine is the Bushmaster stock Regent grade so it's a lot more subdued and to my way of thinking really nice. But, to each his own.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  20. FortyXDM

FortyXDM Super Moderator

I agree with that Tigercat.....It's like eye makeup on a purty gal, a little can help.....but.........

:D