Wolf Ammo any good?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by pball942, Dec 21, 2005.

1. pball942

pball942 G&G Newbie

I recently purchased a Ruger Mini 14. And in pricing my ammunition I noted the cost of Wolf. Roughly $65.00 for 500 rounds 62 gr. HP. My question is Wolf any good? I have heard that is Russian crap, and then again I have hear that is very reliable. I have not used Wolf in the past, and it is not available in my local stores. So before I shell out money for any internet sell I would like to solicit any opinions on this topic.
  2. jamesfaync

jamesfaync G&G Newbie

ya wolf is fine just clean your rifle afterwards. but you need to do that no matter what you use
  3. fred

fred G&G Newbie

Wolf .223 uses steel cases that are coated with some type of varnish. My son uses it in his AR-15 with no problem but he does not tend to shoot rapid fire. I have read reports on other forums that the varnish can soften in a hot chamber and cause cases to stick. Because of this some gun manufacturers specifically state that the warrenty is voided if such coated cases are used.
  4. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

I've shot a ton of the stuff through my SKS and 223 H&R. No problems yet. Only thing was with the SP 154gr didn't feed very well through the SKS.
    The Hollow Points are my pick, and shoot good. Not the most amazing accuracy, but not bad. And for the price, you can have a ton of fun with the stuff.
  5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

WOLF rocks :guitar:
  6. Outriderdark

Outriderdark G&G Newbie

Wolf is great depending on what you're shooting it from. An SKS, Ak or something that has looser tolerances will eat it up till eternity arrives.
    Bushmasters, Rugers and other rifles with very tight tolerances will jam up eventually cause the varnisg on the casings. Especially M16 clones.
  7. pball942

pball942 G&G Newbie

But the varnish is cleanable right? With a proper cleaning regime it should pose too much of an issue, or am I mistaken. I do not plan to go Ramboing anytime in the near future. Just plinking the occasional coyote.

Hey thanks for the info guys.
  8. Despoiler

Despoiler G&G Newbie

I have never heard of anyone claiming the mini 14 and the mini 30 having tight tolerances.:insane:

I have a mini 30 and I shoot wolf ammo through it all of time, I have never noticed that it was any dirtier than any other ammo. Just clean the rifle well and you won't have any problems. I have also heard about the shellac that they coat the cases with causing some problem, I have never had any problem with it, but that seems to be a moot point now. Wolf is now using some new polymer coating. You will have more of a problem finding after market magazines that work.

Your mini 14 is not and will not ever be a tack drive it is not designed for that, it is a high power plinked. To use it for that you need lots of cheap ammo too shoot a lot of it and shoot it fast. And wolf ammo is the best deal out there.
  9. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

I've never fired any Wolf .223, but I REALLY like the 7.62x54 stuff; absolutely reliable and more accurate than most other types/brands from my rifles. The 7.62x39 seems to be good stuff too, although that is the only brand of ammo that I've launched out of the SKS in any quantity.....can't provide a comparison there.

Yeah, Wolf leaves a fair amount of powder residue behind, but it has always cleaned up easily, as far as I remember (I don't remember too good, though...).
  10. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Wolf works. support our new Russian friends :right:
  11. pball942

pball942 G&G Newbie

:D Thanks for the input people!
  12. .22>.45

.22>.45 G&G Newbie

Wolf go BANG

Not one dead round yet, Have shot 1000s of rounds in SA-XD 9mm, 1911 .45, Star Super Model B 9mm, Hi-point .45, Thompson 1927 A-1, Hi Point 9mm Carbine,
    Feed smooth and go BANG 100% of the time for me, Da Comrade,
    Sporty
  13. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

I used to buy it in 9mm, no problems from it. I have quit using it because I can buy brass cased remington at wally world for less than I can buy wolf.
  14. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

I have bought wolf in MANY different calibers, and it had ALWAYS worked great for me. Just like JamesFaync said, you need to clean it, no matter what kind of ammo you use.
  15. Bull Barrel

Bull Barrel G&G Newbie

Well Ya'll've given this country boy a whole new perspective on Wolf Ammo--I've always avoided it because of the varnish issue--but apparently it wouldn't be an issue unless you have a match-grade chamber and/or finnicky hardware--but how about accurcy? I mainly shoot .22/.357/.45 at 50 to 100 yards from pistol with optical enhancements and have noticed big differences in accuracy when running the backyard bench sessions. Is Wolf a marksman's ammo or not?
  16. NRAJOE

Regular WOLF is accurate enough...I bust orange clays all day long at 100 yds with my Bulgarian milled AK.

WOLF also has a "GOLD" brand now...match ammo.
  17. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I have heard more horror stories and seen some rifles that have been damaged by wolf ammo just be careful.
  18. NRAJOE

No way dude...had to be something wrong with the rifles.....
  19. Copper

Copper G&G Newbie

I shoot Wolf ammo ocassionaly, but not often. I had a nasty experience with the laquer coated on the cased gumming up my breech. Wolf is some of the dirtiest stuff I've ever seen, it blows a fireball out the muzzle. It's reliable and while it won't win any CMP matches it serves its purpose for plinking. I personally buy Lake City surplus M855 for practice ammo.
  20. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Today, I tested the Romanian AK I finished building last night and I tested it with a new batch of Wolf with the new coating. Functioned FLAWLESSLY and accuracy was better than I expected once I got the rear sight set. I then did a rapid fire full magazine and the chamber was spotless as far as coating goes
    and just a very small amount of powder residue so I give it a thumbs up !:right: