Gun and Game Forum banner

Wolf Primer nowhere to be found

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Para Cassatt 
#1 ·
I've been using Wolf NCLRM (Large rifle mag primers) for my long range target guns for years, and now that I've exhaused my previous batch I can't find them anywhere. strange thing is, it's not like they are out of stock, it's like no one stocks them anymore. what's up with this? I've E-mailed Wolf directly earlier today but have not received a response yet. I'm looking for another 5,000 lot, but would settle for just 1,000 right now just to load some more batches from.

This really has me a bit ticked off because all I have right now on hand are CCI and Winchester, and neither of those are as consistant on ignition as the Wolf. It seems I've done spoiled myself.
I went to the range yesterday with the Wolf loadings, and was reworking the CCI and Winchester with this powder lot number, the results were less than impressive. At least I had the Wolf loadings to measure against to give me a baseline on group sizes I'm trying to repeat. So far the results are not good.

#5 · (Edited)
Hee hee, thanks, but I hate changing from something that has worked so well and now going back to try and duplicate it. I have on hand Win LR standard, CCI LR standard, and Remy LRM (too hot). The problem is, I'm very close to 100% case fill on the win 760 in a 308 case with a 168 SMK or A-Max bullet (OAL is slightly different between those bullets). The Wolf NCLRM gets them going at 2650 fps and makes 1 ragged 5 shot hole at 100. diviation numbers are usually 10 fps max. (usually under 10 fps). (and that's why I like them so much)

Gunbot was no help. a few standard wolf out there but no mag. I got on an e'mail notifaction for them with someone yesterday, maybe it was Brownell's, not sure. Midway has "discontinued" on their listing. what that means I'm not sure, maybe they're just not stocking them anymore.

It seems I tried the wolf LR standard at one time but switched back for some reason. not sure why, can't find the load data that I did so, but I remember buying some by accident from a local store one time as a fill in until a shipment I ordered came in.

P.S. I may yet take you up on that offer. I'll keep it in mind. maybe at least do the range day sometime :)

Reactions: Para Cassatt
#7 ·
wolf and tula have traditionally been the same stuff with a different name right? Tubb says the wolf primers are the best since the Ruskies use a different compound. i have been curious but cant find wolf locally.

#9 ·
Hee hee, thanks, but I hate changing from something that has worked so well and now going back to try and duplicate it. I have on hand Win LR standard, CCI LR standard, and Remy LRM (too hot). The problem is, I'm very close to 100% case fill on the win 760 in a 308 case with a 168 SMK or A-Max bullet (OAL is slightly different between those bullets). The Wolf NCLRM gets them going at 2650 fps and makes 1 ragged 5 shot hole at 100. diviation numbers are usually 10 fps max. (usually under 10 fps). (and that's why I like them so much)

Gunbot was no help. a few standard wolf out there but no mag. I got on an e'mail notifaction for them with someone yesterday, maybe it was Brownell's, not sure. Midway has "discontinued" on their listing. what that means I'm not sure, maybe they're just not stocking them anymore.

It seems I tried the wolf LR standard at one time but switched back for some reason. not sure why, can't find the load data that I did so, but I remember buying some by accident from a local store one time as a fill in until a shipment I ordered came in.

P.S. I may yet take you up on that offer. I'll keep it in mind. maybe at least do the range day sometime :)

I could definately use more trigger time. I have some pistols and rifles I'd like for you to confirm results on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.