Wooden GI Foot Locker

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 3006FMJ, Jan 25, 2005.

1. 3006FMJ

3006FMJ G&G Newbie

I'm interested in building (from scratch) a replica of a wooden GI Foot Locker
    of the type built and used during WWII (and possibly Korea.)

I posted to this group because veterans of WWII and Korea might have
    some better insight into answering my question.

I have searched the web high and low and have given up on that approach.
    My searches included commercial, army-surplus and government web sites.
    But, I can not find exactly what I'm looking for.

Years ago I had what I believe to be a genuine foot locker from this era.
    It was solid wood construction, OD painted with white SSN number and name
    spraypainted on it. I wish I had kept it, but it was in bad condition anyways.
    I recall the general construction of it terms of the joinery used, but I sure
    would like to build one following any precise mil-spec that may exist.

Thanks in advance for any positive feedback.

-Steve
  2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I don't know about the specs but I was lucky enough to have one back in '76-'79 when I was in Germany...I was the only one in the company with one of them (paid for it off a guy going home)! Would take it out in the field with me....good luck bro.....
  3. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

In the mid-fifties to early sixties, my father was in the USAF stationed at one point over seas in Morroco. He came home with a footlocker made of galvanised sheet steel - I remember him using it to store tools as late as the early eighties - he may still have it. I never knew if it was GI issue, or if he bought it somewhere. Have to ask him next time I visit. I could use that thing for gun stuff. :)
  4. 3006FMJ

3006FMJ G&G Newbie

If I end up building one of these from scratch (and memory) I'll be happy to share my
    detailed specs with anyone who wants them.
  5. ShooMac

ShooMac G&G Newbie

You may want to try the U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum at Fort Lee, VA. I know from personal experience that museum curators really enjoy helping out people who share their interests.

http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/

On a personal note: My grandfather's uncle was a U.S. Army doctor in Europe during WWI. After my grandmother passed away I learned that his footlocker was part of her estate. No one else expressed an interest in it. I requested it as part of my inheritance and was really excited at the prospect of getting something with so much familial historical significance. Unfortunately, it had not been taken care of in the 75+ years it had been in storage. It had rotted so much that it pretty much disintegrated when I touched it. Nothing was salvageable. It broke my heart. :(
  6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

try posting this at CSP's guntalk forum. lots of vets there and maybe of some help.

www.jouster.com
  7. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

That is what we used in Boot Camp and every place I was assigned, in 1950 and from 1955 to 1959. I thought that was still an issue item in the USMC.

If I remember correctly the corners were all glued dovetail joints, but I can't remember what was used for hinges (probably a heavy duty piano hinge; as they stood up well to the Drill Instructors' efforts), and it had what appeared to me to be a standard Lock Hasp, available from most hardware stores. The lid was a boxed in top with about a 3 inch wall that fit squarely on top of the lower part of the box. The insert was supported by a 1/2 inch wide/thick strip that was screwed and glued to the two sides and the rear. Also if my memory doesn't fail me all of the wood was plywood (a very good quality plywood).

Sorry about the dimensions, as I can only guess. I believe it was 16 inches high, 24 inches front to back and 36 inches wide. I am pretty sure about the 24" x 36", but the 16 inches may have been 18 inches.

I would love to have about 10 of them right now, for storage!

`
  8. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

9. Delores

Delores G&G Newbie

Wooden Army Footlockers

I have three of these wooden footlockers in various sizes for sale.
  10. mr mom

mr mom G&G Regular

ive got 1 in my reloading room !!!!! but i think its from the 50's?????
  11. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I tried to find one at the local Army Surplus couple months ago...said they won't carry them anymore...the shipping costs killed them...:(
  12. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I built one, when I was on Guam, to send all my stuff back. The guys loading those 141's were pretty hard on things, and I had some breakables, so I used half inch plywood. It made it back in one piece, but the years have not been kind to it. It got wet a couple times, and started delaminating, so it's on it's last legs, with an old saddle inside.
  13. Silent Shooter

Silent Shooter G&G Newbie

14. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

If you don't find what you're looking for, you might also go to g503.com, and ask around there. Those guys specialize in WWII everything. I wouldn't be surprised if there was somebody there making and selling them.
  15. mwatson

mwatson G&G Newbie

good find jerry, it amazes me everytime how the puzzle comes together.
    Best to all.
    Mike
  16. Bilbobagg1

Bilbobagg1 G&G Newbie

17. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Steve,
    I have an original "officer" foot-locker from a WWII Marine's estate. The Executor was a friend of mine and he said they couldn't get the thing to unlock. I bought it for $5 and the Col handed me the key. I, to the Col's amazement, had it unlocked within 5 seconds. I guess the deceased Major wanted me to have it.
    Anyway, I can send you pics and outside measurements if you want. It is different from the one enlisted personnel used.
    I've been looking for a WWII enlisted footlocker for years with no luck. I have a "modern" plywood issue but it is nothing like the old one.
    What Gyrene says is correct but I'm not sure of the outside dimensions he quotes. We used them at Boot Camp in 1963 as well. The dimensions were such as to fit precisely under the end of the rack edge to edge between the legs of the rack. My guess is 30/32 inches x 24 inches.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  18. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

Just don't let The Gunny catch you with a jelly doughnut in your foot locker.

[​IMG]
  19. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

This is the foot locker of today. It is a Contico Box. When I arrived at my regular base of operations; Camp Fallujah, I bought one of these, emptied my 2 seabags and mailed home any excess in some tough cardboard boxes that I got from the base MCX warehouse, then, I put everything that I didn't use on a daily basis in the Contico Box with my Parris Island office address taped to it in case something happened to me or I had to bug out without it. All of my "must have" stuff was kept in or on my private purchase Spec-Ops back pack and it traveled with me wherever I went.

[​IMG]
  20. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Um, SNS, I'm not sure the original poster really cares anymore? lol I mean, seeing as how this thread was originally posted 1-25-05, I'd have to say he's either made one by not or just given up? lol