WWII Japanese 6.5 mm Arisaka?

Discussion in 'Japanese Firearms' started by Nancy Kohlhafer, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Nancy Kohlhafer

Nancy Kohlhafer G&G Newbie

Can anyone give me information about this rifle? It is a WWII, type 1, 6.5 mm, in excellent condition. Original bayonet is attached in one photo. More photos available on request.

Attached Files:

2. sandy4570

sandy4570 G&G Newbie

Nancy the second picture identified this rifle as Type"I " rifle because it has the Carcano bolt.This rifle was not made by Japan but by the Italian. In 1937 An agreement among Axis power for exchange of Industrial help .Japan ordered 60,000 rifle from Italian government.This rifle were made by the Regia Fabbric D' Armi( Terni) army ordnance Factory at Terni .The rifle featured characteristic of boht the Japanese type 38 infantry rifle and Italian model 91 Carcano rifle (the same family of rifle that got JFK ) .The rifle were delivered to the Imperial Japanese Navy . I never see one sample in real life and only one person that I know of have one and he would not sell his.I don't know the value of this rifle but it must be very high because only 60,000 were made and only Japanese Navy used them ( I am not sure Japanese Navy and Japanese Marine were the same unit or not ) .If you can authenticated the original of this rifle like how it was captured by whom and what battle etc? it could bring up the premium value for this one . :)
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Sandy,
    You are correct, I finally found pics Of the Rifle and it is a TYPE I...Not a 1....
    Value can run 800.00 up for one all Matching and unground..
    Rich
  4. GLS_okie

GLS_okie G&G Newbie

Sandy4570:

The Japanese military did not have a Marine Corp. What they did have was a Naval Infantry Division of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The Special Landing Forces being the closest to the American Marine Corp.

On a side note. Japan was probably the wost off weapon wise of all of the axis combatants. Even though it has adopted the 7.7mm caliber before the out break of WWII, it had never fully trasitioned over. So that both 6.5mm and 7.7mm weapons were still in use through out the war. On top of the logistical problem. The Japanese had several different 7.7mm cartridges, they used a copy of the Lewis machine gun which was still chambered for the .303 British. In Metric nomenclature .303 is 7.7mm

GLS_Okie
  5. sandy4570

sandy4570 G&G Newbie

6. GLS_okie

GLS_okie G&G Newbie

Well the Italians and the Japanese generals and admirals knew that the wanted to adopt more leathal cartridges. The trouble the had was that neither coundtry had the industrial capacity to do so.

Don't forget, that originally the M-1 Garand was going to be chambered in a smaller caliber/cartridge, .276 caliber I believe. But that it was decided to go with the 30/06 to maintain commonality with weapons already in stock and a cost savings with the 30 caliber ammo being on hand.