XD vs. XDM

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory' started by GunTechie, Mar 23, 2010.

1. GunTechie

GunTechie G&G Newbie

I will be in the market for a new 9mm and I am trying to decide between an XD and XDM. The XD is less expensive, the XDM takes more rounds.

Any Thoughts Folks?
  2. shooter1

shooter1 G&G Newbie

Xdm

My vote is for the XDM, Match barrel, better ergonomics, with a few other updates that I can't remember right now.

Honestly though I think the XDM is just a marketing ploy for more sales because the standard XD is a fine weapon. jmo

Shooter
  3. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

I have the XDm and I love it.

- 19+1 rd. capacity
    - Match barrel
    - Three different backgrips
    - Comes with two magazines
    - Comes with a paddle holster
    - Comes with a mag holster
    - Comes with a speedloader

Never fired the XD, so I have no experience with it. However the XDm is a great handgun and I would recommend it to anyone. I was thinking of going Glock and even though I would still like one the XDm just felt right in my hands while the Glock felt funny to me.

Also I have put now around 500-600 rounds through her and she has only stovepiped once on (Remington 115gr. UMC). And it also misfeed and tried to feed two rounds with I do believe it was (American Eagle 115gr.)

Also field stripping it is a breeze and cleaning it is pretty pain free. I have got my cleaning down to about 30-45 minutes and 45 minutes is with a more detailed using more Qtips to get into the grooves.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well,

my son has the xdm and we both love it so that gets my vote.
  5. GunTechie

GunTechie G&G Newbie

Looks unanimous to me...
    The additional cost seems justified by the Second Mag, add'l capacity, holsters and speedloader.
  6. 147 Inches

147 Inches G&G Newbie

From a rest I hit several times a 2 foot iron plate at 100 yards with my XDm .40 and I am not the best shot...
    I have never fired a XD, so no help there.

What are you going to do with the pistol?
    Compete? Hit paper all day at 15 yards?

The XDm .40 is my all time favorite firearm I own and if you knew me that is saying a lot.
  7. GunTechie

GunTechie G&G Newbie

1) Concealed Carry And/Or Home Defense
    2) Competition
    3) Hitting Paper targets All Day :)
  8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

9. GunTechie

GunTechie G&G Newbie

10. danf6975

danf6975 G&G Newbie

personally i say save your money up to get the xdM model. i love the m models and wish they would make it in .45 also.
  11. GunTechie

GunTechie G&G Newbie

An instructor told me the same exact thing 2 weeks ago.

That seems to be the consensus...

Not a SINGLE vote for the XD....
  12. NRAJOE

13. ICEMAN 357

ICEMAN 357 G&G Newbie

Ok fine, I will vote XD then!! Had mine for years, well over 3,500 rounds through it, still functions flawlessly.

Really it comes down to this.... both are fine guns, if you have the extra dough for the M model then go for it, but if not you will never be sorry with the XD either!
  14. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I own 2 XD's and 1 XDM. I love them all. The first question I thought of when you asked your question was "What will you be using this gun for?" If it is for CCW I would get the XD Subcompact. The .40 sub holds 9+1 or 12+1 with extended magazine and the 9mm holds 12+1 or 16+1 with the extended magazine. That is plenty enough ammo for a CCW situation and the Subcompact is a very small and easy to hide gun. If it is for home defense and size doesn't matter I would go with the XDM for the extra ammo, match grade barrel and changable back straps.

My XDM is a 9mm and it is by far my favorite 9mm of any 9 I have ever shot but it is a bit big for CCW where I live. Common dress here is shorts and a t-shirt.

Eather way you will have a fine pistol.
  15. GunTechie

GunTechie G&G Newbie

CCW, competition and Home Defense. My primary CCW will be a Ruger SP101. If I feel I need more firepower or need a BUG I will carry the Springfield with the Ruger as a backup, or I may carry the Auto in the Winter. (Plenty of clothing to conceal the XDM) I don't find myself in many situations where I will need more than 5 shots with a .357. In fact I HOPE I never have to use either one at all except at the range. It sounds like the XDM 3.8 is a good compromise.
  16. danf6975

danf6975 G&G Newbie

if you are range shooting go with the xdm or an xd with 5" barrel
  17. NRAJOE

They also make a smaller XDM called the 3.8....
  18. GunTechie

GunTechie G&G Newbie

Yes... that is the one I am considering...
    I think it is small enough for the occasions I choose to carry a semi-auto instead of a revolver.
  19. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

I have one of each in 9mm, and love them both. If you have the money for the XDM go with that. You might as well have the most recent model. The main differences that I like are the replacable grips, (requires roll pin removal) and you don't have to pull the trigger before removing slide. The last feature might save you about 1 second when breaking it down. I got the the XDM with the black slide and green frame. I really like the look. Very accurate!
  20. Eberhart

Eberhart G&G Newbie

I have the XDM in 9mm and am very happy with it. Have shot a XD in 40 which is why i wanted one in the first place. I went with the XDm mainly for round count and easier take down. The spring is not contained though like it is in my cousins 4in. service model xd40 if that matters at all.
    XDm though if you got the extra money