XDM vs Glock model 35

Discussion in 'Glock' started by bassoneer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. bassoneer

bassoneer G&G Newbie

I went shooting yesterday with some buddies...I had the XDM and they had Glocks. We swapped around quite a bit and ended up informally comparing the Glock 35 and the XDM, both .40 caliber. The Glock 35 is a fantastic gun, and I had rented one to shoot from a local gun store when I was getting interested in guns. I really wanted to buy one before I came across the XDM. They both are approximately the same size and weight...the 35 may be slightly longer - we didn't measure anything. The Glock has the typical feel of a Glock, simple, big and plain. The XDM has the ergonomic design, which was one of the features that sold me...feels great. The recoil was almost the same. The biggest difference between the two was the trigger pull...the 35 had around 5 pounds of trigger pull according to its owner. I have not even bothered to look up what the XDM has, but I know its less than 5 pounds. When shooting the Glock, I kept waiting on it to fire and it took quite a bit more pull to get it to launch a round. Just my little observations - I still like both guns, but I also am still glad I chose the XDM. Later, B P.S., they both hit the targets very well and I wouldn't want to be a bad guy on the other end of either one.
  2. dropzone

dropzone G&G Newbie

the xdm trigger pull is 5.5--7.5lbs, mine meassured at 7.38 lbs but the trigger is a short pull/reset which fell almost like a competition or combat custom trigger try shooting and hold the trigger back then slowly and see how little travel is before it reset again and is ready to fire. the glock feel like it travel a mile(actually close to it) beforeis ready to fire.glocks are great guns but xd's and now the xdm's are way superior in all aspects. my 1st xd 40 4" barrel have about 75000 round fire and only replace the guide spring. 4 times send it to manufacturer to be inspected and everytime came back with no problems detected. i will thrust the xdm in any situation in the civilian world and definitelly in afganistan/iraq, and I wish I have one in somalia several yrs ago.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  3. bassoneer

bassoneer G&G Newbie

Interesting...so what you're saying is that the amount of force required to pull the triggers is essentially the same (at least in the same ball park), but you have to make the Glock trigger travel a longer distance than the XDm. Makes sense...I still liked the XDm best. Last night I stopped by the gun store with my 12-year old son and he was looking in the gun cases and said "hey dad, here's the new XDm-9mm" and I about sprained my neck twisting around so fast to look. To my dismay, he was only kidding. And he knew I wasn't in the market for another gun (yet) but he also knew how to get me to look. Later, B
  4. sisco50

sisco50 G&G Newbie

Is there a way to compare the accuracy of the XD-M vs. the G35? The XD-M has a match grade barrel and the G35 has a standard barrel. That would account for the XD-M being more expensive than the G35. but does that automatically make the XD-M more accurate? Any ideas? :)
  5. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Stock trigger pull on the G35 is 4.5lbs and trigger travel is 12.5mm or 0.5". You can get 3.5lbs trigger pull if you install/use the 3.5lb connector. But I love my G35 with the 4.5lb pull, I'm use to it. I also added a few things to mine to make it even better then it was right out of the box, like a Storm Lake 4 port barrel, Meprolight night sights, a Streamlight M6 laser/light combo and a new steel guide rod.

I have never shot an XDm, and I'm sure I'd like it also. But then, I like just about every gun that shoots and goes bang. lol
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  6. dropzone

dropzone G&G Newbie

yup but are good weapons, the difference is the xd-m already is custom out of the box and with the nightsights nothing need to be done to it. and the glock need everything you did, which is nice other than the laser(it make you concentrate and fucus on the laser dot on the target and not on the target itself, creating tunnel vision, this could case confusing a cellphone for a gun inthe hand of the perceive target(worst case scenario)but do add to intimidation factor which is good, anything you do that help not have to press the trigger is good. ha,ha to add to your signature...... "it take the prosecutor to convince 12 people that you are guilty, but the deffence only need to convince ONE that you are not.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  7. GlockMeister

Personally, my G35 didn't need anything added to it. I CHOSE to add the stuff I did. I wanted the night sights to help focus on the front sight better. The front sight is a different color then the rear. Orange rears/green front. As for the barrel, I simply wanted to take advantage of the slot cut out in the slide, for a ported barrel, so I got a Storm Lake 4-port ported barrel. As for the new guide rod, just wanted to put it on. The original sights worked fine and still do, if I choose to put them back on. The original barrel worked fine and still would, if I choose to put it back in. And lastly, the old guide rod worked just fine, and again, still would, if I choose to put it back in.

As for getting the laser/light combo, I just wanted to get it. I like toys. lol

But my G35 shot great right out of the box. Dead on accurate.
    It didn't need any of the stuff I chose to get for it, I simply wanted to get that stuff for it. Had some cash burning a whole in my pocket. lol

FWIW, If I had the extra cash, I'd buy an XD, an XD-M and and M&P! lol I also like thiings that go bang. I'm not too picky. lol
  8. xdnewguy

xdnewguy G&G Newbie

Both great pistols, for me it's the XDM I like the way it feel in the hand and it shoots great. I've big plans for my XDM.
  9. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I rented several Glocks and different XD's before I bought. I found the XD to just be a better gun.
  10. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

I'd like to point out that Glocks also have a short reset trigger that resets in less than half the distance that it takes to fire the first shot. With the fact that if you have your finger on the trigger, the only thing from thought to -boom!- is the distance traveled (and the internal safeties), I don't mind the extra little distance and slightly heavier initial pull... but those followup shots are quick and easy.
  11. xdnewguy

xdnewguy G&G Newbie

the bottom line is that one should use whatever one is most comfortable with. in the end it's not the gun it is the person pulling the trigger. My personal prefrence is the XDM and XD. I shoot glocks for a long time and they are good guns. I just think the XDM is a little better.
  12. GlockMeister

Exactly, to each their own. JAC and myself will stick with and use and rely on our Glocks and the rest on what they feel. lol

One thing I'd add, just remember this though: They're all following what Glock did and are doing so because Glock has proven themselves time and time again and the rest had to come out with a similar design and features just to try and get back some of the market that Glock has controlled for so many years...

GOT GLOCK? Why yes, YES I DO!