Yugo M48A bore size and ammo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by chris71, Sep 15, 2008.

1. chris71

chris71 G&G Newbie

Hey everyone,
    I bought an 8mm Yugo M48A in nearly perfect condition at a garage sale earlier this summer. Guy who sold it to me gave me a bunch of ammo with clips from the 50's or 60's, which is when I think it was manufactured. I'm assuming the cartridges are corrosive primed since they look so old, plus they are steel bullets. I don't expect to be shooting through any armor any time soon so I went out and bought some Mitchells Mausers 8mm, and they were on sale, so I bought 5 boxes. Only after I got home and noticed the package reads not to use in older arms with 0.318 bores. I loaded the rifle and repeatedly chambered rounds. They chamber slightly more "snuggly" than the old steel bullet rounds that the guy gave me when I bought it. This is especially noticeable when I go to lock the bolt down at the end of its range of motion. It is definately more hard to push the bolt lever in the down possition with the new ammo than with the old ammo. The old ammo racks in and out effortlessly, no "snugness" at the end of the action range on the bolt. So the question is obvious, is this ammo too big for the rifle, even though it's 8mm? The guy I bought it from said he had used Remington 8mm corelock when he used it hunting. I'm not sure if the Remington has the same size bullett as the Mitchells, but those worked fine for him. They worked fine except for the loading problem the shorter, blunt nosed bullets cause with these rifles when chambering. So are these bullets okay for the Yugo M48A? I was considering the information on the box of bullets that said not to use in "older" firearms, and I know there are a lot of Mausers a lot older than this one, which is why I think I'm going to be okay with this ammo. I just want to be sure and ask some of the guru's here though. Thanks
  2. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

No Problems shooting any 7.9/8mm x57 in your yugo M48! It is a post war rifle.
  3. chris71

chris71 G&G Newbie

Thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Thanks.
  4. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

The .318' groove diameter was discontinued in 1905 for military rifles but was an option for commercial ones up into the 50's and was designated "8x57J". "S" and "JS" rifles as well as all military rifles after 1905 are fine with .323 bullets.
  5. hhhh

hhhh G&G Newbie

wrong size bullet?

almost the same story as chris71 there, a guy gave me a yugo m48 a while back with a whole box full of loose bullets and clips, speedloader clips,and a lot of the bullets were newer(green casings and copper bullets,)and a bunch of older bullets(gold colored casings and silver bullets,) and i took the gun to the shooting range and fired off all the newer rounds and then thought since these rounds (older ones) are already on this clip, i'll just try loading it that way. so i did, and it fired perfectly, but i was having a hard time ejecting the empty casing, the bolt locked shut(as if the safety was on). finally it opened and i stopped there because i didn't know if the bullets were the wrong size...
  6. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

The older rounds may be loaded hotter.
    That may be the reason the bolt is
    harder to open after firing. I've got
    some older Yugo miitary ammo that is
    loaded a little hot but seems safe so far.