Yugo SKS vs Norinco SKS

Discussion in 'SKS' started by sleepwithguns, Apr 8, 2012.

1. sleepwithguns

sleepwithguns G&G Newbie

Ok i need some opinions, which one do you prefer and why?
    the yugo sks or the norinco sks? im looking for a new project and want to buy a sks but dont know which one.
  2. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

Get one of each
  3. BigElkCanoe

BigElkCanoe G&G Regular Forum Contributor

^+1, but if I had to pick one of the 2 you listed, I'd go with the Norinco, much lighter and gererally just as accurate.
  4. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

The Norinco has a chrome-lined barrel, making them much easier to clean and more resistant to corrosive ammo. Many of the Yugo's already have dark\pitted bores from shooting such ammo, plus they carry a lot of extra and unusable weight.
  5. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

i just got a norinco and i compared it to my buddies yugo and it was definatly lighter. shoots great to. i feel the yugo's are bulkier too.
  6. frenchy

frenchy G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Don't think we can buy Norinco's here in CA. but i bought a A159/66 from a LGS with GL removed and muzzel brake installed to make it CA. legal.

Used in EX. condition...always goes bang, never had any jams or FTF, accurate, able to single shot with GL gas switch, love it :),

frenchy

Attached Files:

7. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

Norinco has a bit more add ons than the Yugo. The good thing about the Yugo is you can order one online with a C&R, but out of a gunshop, i'd get a Norinco.
  8. svj-47

svj-47 G&G Newbie

Norinco works every time!
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

They're both copies/remakes of the original.

For me, and because I don't and wouldn't plan on walking around with it in the woods, the Norinco being lighter isn't a deal maker or breaker.

As for accuracy, personally, I'd think they'd both be about the same. As for the more weight of the Yugo? One plus is it reduces felt recoil. Not that this is anything ajor with the 7.62 X 39 to begin with mind you but it is something to consider. Again, not a deal maker or breaker; For me anyhow.

In the end, I think there's more Yugo's available more so then the Norinco's which I'd think, and believe it'd make them a tad more reasonable and still plentiful then the Norinco's. Obviously if cost isn't an issue or concern, it's a mute point and wouldn't be a deal breaker or maker then either.

In the end, your money your decision. But as others hav suggested, I to say if you can afford to, buy one of each.
  10. Dark1

Dark1 Suspended

I would take a Albanian SKS over either :) if you can find one
  11. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The Yugo SKS may, if in 'used' condition, have some wartime history behind it.
    The Norinco is a commercial variant.

I have had both, still have the Yugo, and replaced my Norinco with a Chinese /26\ military model.

The Yugo feels more like a RIFLE, with harder wood stock and the extra metal bits.
    The Norinco feels much more like a CARBINE, lighter and handier.
    Both if in good condition with shoot very well.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  12. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

well its suppose to be a carbine so i guess the chinese got it right lol
  13. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

Yea but the Yugo is like the Swiss knife of battle rifles, bayonet, grenade launcher, night sights, heavy solid stock plus you can turn on or off the gas system. I had a Norinco but it was such junk that I sold it, several years later, I got my Yugo and havent had a problem yet. :)
  14. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

And a 'dark bore' is nothing to worry about, as long as it's not majorly pitted. My 'experienced' Yugo M59/66 has a good bore, a bit dark - it shoots honest one inch groups on the hundred yard target using a 6X scope and good commercial ammo. Same with my pristine /26\ Chinese SKS.
    Both function flawlessly. So it comes down to personal preference.
    And since we clean our rifles after shooting, the corrosion issue is a non-issue. We don't necessarily NEED a chrome bore.
  15. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Enthusiast

I've had both.

I've mixed feelings.

In my limited expereince the Chinses seem to shoot tighter groups for me, in a properly fitting stock for me.

But I like the feel of the Yugo stock better.

My last SKS was a "Chugo" a Chinese rifle fitted into a Yugo stock. I'd love to have a Chinese "para" SKS set up the same way. Would be a nice brush rifle IMHO.

That's the cool thing is we have choices bertween these to own what works best for us.

Unlike the countries they were from were the soldeirs had to learn to like what they were issued.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  16. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

The Norinco is a handy rifle, and with the Tech Sight, much more accurate.

My only regret is that (reindeer) Rudolph's Pathfinder Sleigh should have delivered the Tech Sight to my home years ago, but it arrived last December.
  17. frenchy

Yeah Buddy, said i was going to put Mr. Murrys firing pin and Tech sights on mine ASAP, and still haven't done either, sounds like you kinda like those sights David. LOL!!

Dale
  18. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    I can't speak for the Norinco; but, I love my Yugo!

[​IMG]
  19. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Enthusiast

SURE you can! I have one :). I bougt it here and it's legal. MINUS the bayonet. Yugos have to have a muzzle brake instead of a grenade launcher here to be legal.

The Yugo is a FINE rifle, if you keep it clean. I chose the Norinco, because of accuracy, and a chrome bore.
  20. frenchy

Glad to hear this Dragunov, i was led to believe the Norinco mag was a problem here, hope to someday have one of each :)!

Love your setup Scott!!

frenchy