Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a friend who just bought a sporterized 1903 Remington. It has the 24 inch barrel. He's asking me if either of the stocks will fit. I asked him if the rear ladder sight was removed and I haven't heard back from him yet.

Dave i won a 1903 remington on gun broker for like $350.00 but it has a sporterized stock, i of course want to put on an original stock

i am have a hard time figuring out what the difference is between the 2 stocks, its hard to figure out, it looks like to me the main stock is the same on both the 1903 and the 1903 A3 version and only the top hand guards are different? or am i wrong?

please advise

see the enclosed photo

thanks gary

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
He'd better do some research. Search Google Images for pics of both, there's differences but I can't swear what offhand. They're still available though, several places have them, he can probably find a good set.

Myself, I'd find out when that s/n was made, then look for the correct type stock for that era. I know there were at least three different grip types.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rondog. He wants it to be correct.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
The 1903 has the rear sight forward of the receiver in the 1903A3 the sight was move to the back of the receiver. He definitely wants to get a 1903 stock. I believe the Remington 1903 stocks omitted the finger grooves found in the earlier 1903 stocks too.

Here is the route I'd go:

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/stocksets.htm

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1903 has the rear sight forward of the receiver in the 1903A3 the sight was move to the back of the receiver. He definitely wants to get a 1903 stock. I believe the Remington 1903 stocks omitted the finger grooves found in the earlier 1903 stocks too.

Here is the route I'd go:

Sales - Stock Sets
Thanks for the info. I forwarded it to him. I didn't know the finger groves were eliminated in the later rifles. Were the Remington 1903s made only in the later production years or is that serial number at 3,143,000 indicate a later year without the finger grooves? I see the CMP has both. Do you know if is long wait time there?

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Thanks for the info. I forwarded it to him. I didn't know the finger groves were eliminated in the later rifles. Were the Remington 1903s made only in the later production years or is that serial number at 3,143,000 indicate a later year without the finger grooves? I see the CMP has both. Do you know if is long wait time there?
Remington started making the 1903 in September of 1941 using the tooling from the Rock Island Arsenal which had been in storage for over 20 years. They started at serial number 3,000,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1903_Springfield

1 - 9 of 9 Posts