Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 that has been sporterized .Bought this rifle 30 years ago always wanted to restore it but never had the time.Have always heard about the receiver problems with earlier models.My receiver number is 697850 barrel date 11/18 .Is this rifle ok to shoot or do I have old piece of junk?

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Springfield(below 800,000) or Rock Island(below 286,506)???

Here is a good reference on the receiver failures:

Information On M1903 Receiver Failures

There is much debate on the answer to your question. The article states that there have been no receiver failures since 1929. But, it is ultimately your decision.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've got a Springfield 1903 that was rebuilt in 1944, it has a 1907 receiver. Two world wars and then the arsenal put it through it's paces so I feel comfortable shooting it. But that's MY rifle and the proof is in the markings and the work done to MY rifle. I cannot speak for your receiver or anyone else's. Like TheJoker said, it is ultimately your decision on what you do with it.

The paper TheJoker posted is awesome. I've had it book marked for sometime now and I have a copy of Hatcher's notebook (a must read). This paper and that book are two of the better pieces of information about low number rifles I have ever read. It definitely beats the uninformed internet know it all who says "All dem rifle be junk cause I heard it on them youtubez"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ver
I've got a Springfield 1903 that was rebuilt in 1944, it has a 1907 receiver. Two world wars and then the arsenal put it through it's paces so I feel comfortable shooting it. But that's MY rifle and the proof is in the markings and the work done to MY rifle. I cannot speak for your receiver or anyone else's. Like TheJoker said, it is ultimately your decision on what you do with it.

The paper TheJoker posted is awesome. I've had it book marked for sometime now and I have a copy of Hatcher's notebook (a must read). This paper and that book are two of the better pieces of information about low number rifles I have ever read. It definitely beats the uninformed internet know it all who says "All dem rifle be junk cause I heard it on them youtubez"

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've wondered the same thing about the early receivers. My LGS has a 1903 made at Springfield, SN 7179 places it at a 1903 date of manufacture and is in great shape. They want $1000 for it, but the whole weak receiver thing has me wondering if I should take a chance or just get a replica 03a4

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've wondered the same thing about the early receivers. My LGS has a 1903 made at Springfield, SN 7179 places it at a 1903 date of manufacture and is in great shape. They want $1000 for it, but the whole weak receiver thing has me wondering if I should take a chance or just get a replica 03a4
If you're a handloader you could always load up powder-puff loads for it and shoot only those in it.

Your call though, ultimately.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts