close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1 year later...are we winning or loseing?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ill post then newspaper artical that got me thinking at the end of this.
    Its been almost a year since 9/11. Osama is dead/not dead..so MIA. The legal system is starting to ?? the people being detained by the goverment and the ones being prosacuted are winning in court (see artical), the goverment has preposed some laws that would not have withstood a constatutional challange so they are backing down. Men and women are still serving in Afganastan with no real change made in that counrtry..(quick name the current leader of afganistan? I can't either). The corpret exec/ceo's have done more damage to our economy than Osam could even have dreamed about. The unemployment rate is up..I wounder what it would be if the reservist now servieing on active duty were suddenly returned.
    Now we turn to Iraq.....now Im realy not sure why....I mean if goof ball was behind 9/11 then we should have been there already. If he is just a mouthy clown that needs a good spanking then lets do it. But if this is just a reason the declar war to help the economy then we would be moraly wrong to do this.

So the ??????? is are we winnng the war on terror? Loseing? Do we have a clue whats going on and why? What should we do now?

Oh the news artical.

'Terrorist School' Head Acquitted
    Associated Press Win a 50" HDTV or a Xerox Printer!

8:55 a.m. Aug. 9, 2002 PDT
    LONDON -- A chef who promoted "The Ultimate Jihad Challenge" on an Internet site, inviting people to take weapons training in the United States, was found innocent of terrorist charges Friday.

A jury at London's Old Bailey criminal court found Sulayman Balal Zainulabidin, 44, innocent of violating the Terrorism Act.
    Zainulabidin, a convert to Islam, was arrested three weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Center, and two weeks after going to a London police station to complain that he did not feel safe after a newspaper article published details of his website. It has since been dismantled by British authorities.

2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

We're winning...it took several years to win the first two world wars and those had the advantages of having defined front lines...The Viet Nam War was the first war of this kind with no defined front lines...this current war has the added disadvantage of having over a billion possible enemy personnel scattered all over the globe

3. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Look at it this way...If the U.S.A. hadn't taken the strong stand they did, what do you suppose would be the message to the world from our lack of action?

Even though there's no war front the message is clear to me that we won't stand for these kinds of actions.

Oxford

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I think we're at a standstill right now. Lets go to Iraq and get this sled rolling again!

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

while we're at it let's stomp Iran into the ground too !

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Iran might be just a little bit harder to kick butt on!

7. Hummmmm-- Glass Parking Lot.--for a new Walmart. Not a problem.

8. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

One year later, tighter security countrywide, a cabinet level department of Homeland security, strangers on planes ready to jump in and stop guys trying to light fuses in their shoes and prevent new disasters & Bin Laden hiding or dead in the mountains of Afgahnistan.
    I think we're kickin' *****!:usa:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2002
  9. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

you bet,I think 99,9% of 1billion muslims around this globe are only trying to feed thier familys, like everyone here, and go on in life, i think the jihad is fiction, only few will answer the call, but those few are dam-n dangerous, i think we have made good headway into eliminating the most violent ones

10. I don't think we have seen anything yet.

11. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    we were warned of the "long haul" a year is a drop in the bucket. BTW bucket is in hand

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Cyclops and 7mmmag: I'm with you on your stand. We'll never dig all the muslim extremists out of the sand and holes in Afg., and elsewhere around the world, but they've got to be a lot more unstable and unsure of where they can surface next.

However, there's a new crazy fool born every day. Anything could happen in the future. We can't protect ourselves from suicidal acts of anyone who is blind enough follow those kinds of drum beats.

Oxford

13. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Are we winning or loosing,hummmmmmmmmmmmm?
    I guess it depends on how you define winning and loosing.
    Of course we kicked butt militarily,what else did we expect?We are the Terminator!On the other hand,if Bin Ladin IS alive I would think he is on some beach with his harem and watching us self destruct in a flurry of hysterical knee jerk reactions to 911,and laughing his rear end off!
    The short term winners,the Liberals in this country.
    It's a shame to watch our Constitution,which has lasted this long be destroyed so quickly and so easily!Simply amazing!:confused: :confused: :confused:

14. I agree with Jerry, progress might be really hard to judge because this is a long haul op. The anniversary of 9/11 is sure to spur more such questions, but we still have a ways to go.