close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10/22 bolt face problem

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JohnD, Mar 15, 2002.

1. JohnD

JohnD Member

I recently got a new stainless 10/22 and shot 200rds and took it apart to clean it, I found that the bolt face has a bump in it and it is hitting the barrel about 1/8th of an inch left of the camber. It is making a noticeable dent in the barrel. Has anyone else had this problem? Will ruger replace the bolt and barrel or not if I just call them? I live in canada and shipping the rifle there would cost me major $.

2. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

JohnD

When I was accurizing my 10/22 I removed the bolt and trued the face up on a surface grinder. This is a precision Tool Room grinder, not a bench grinder. I forget what I took off, but it was considerable. If I remember correctly I left just what the thickness of a .22 rim was plus .01o. So taking "bump" off should not be a problem.

Ruger will fix it for free + shipping.

3. JohnD

JohnD Member

Would they send the parts or would I have to ship the gun to them? The bolt seems to be verry hard comared to the barrel will a file work or will I just mess it up? I called there service line and left a message and hope for a reply soon. I actualy tryed with some needle files and they would not even leave a mark.

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    ruger will want you to send them your gun. if you want to file it down try a nice swiss cut pillar file , them cheap needle files wont cut it. good luck

5. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

John, they are going to want to whole gun back.

As far as a file. It can be done. Use a file that has the size to cover the whole bolt face with pass. Go slow and take your time.

6. JohnD

JohnD Member

Ok I could not find a file at the farm here that would be usable for this aplication. I took a peice of 3/8" keystock and wraped some 400 grit sand paper over it, worked out fine fired 100rds and it seems ok now. Thanks for the info. Are the stainless barrels softer than the blue steel?, seems like it to me. I am all out of 22lr ammo now, Have to pick up lots next time I go to town, allong with some high capacity mags for fun. I think I will get the ones with the steel lips.

Also how do the automatic loaders work, are they worth the money? or are they just as much trouble as loading them by hand?

7. Strider

Strider G&G Newbie

Most of the "speed loaders" I have tried aren't quite what they brag them to be. But, if you baby them a bit, and learn to use the correct rhythm and some patience....you can avoid sore fingers from feeding all those cartrdges manually. There are quite a few types.

You definately want high cap mags with metal lips. I've worn out more than one plastic mag. They can be spendy...

8. JohnD

JohnD Member

what kind of accuracy should a person expect out of the box. and with what kind of ammo?

plactic and wearing parts do not mix, with my experence anyway.

Should a person get one of those flash hiders to protect the muzzle from dings?

What is the best ammo for larger varmin like coons and skunks? Do cci stingers have enough penatration when shooting from less than ideal angles say a coon in the trees?

Sorry for all the questions!

9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    you should be able to get 1" or better groups at 50 yards, by the way stingers have a reputation of being very hard on 10/22's.

10. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I like to shoot Remington Cyclones-their high speed hollow point as they call it. It usually does the job on red and grey squirrels, I have never went after anything bigger with my .22. I wouldn't recommend Remingtons hollow points that come in the 500 round bulk boxes( the bullets are brass coated or something). I bought a pack just to try them out and every round makes its own unique sound when fired and almost every-other round- the bullet was loose in the casing! Maybe I bought a bad box, but I am sticking with the Cyclones. Just my two cents...

About Ruger service, a friend of my was having a lot of problems with his 10/22 magnum he bought used. Spent casings kept getting stuck in the barrel and I think it wouldn't feed right either. When he first bought it and took it home and cleaned it, there was sand in the chamber (so much for the sellers story of, "I bought it, put to clips of ammo through it, cleaned it and put it away."). He sent it in and Ruger sent him 2 letter on what they were fixing/replacing, and when he should expect it back. It came back 2 months(I think) later in a new box, with another letter, a hat, a key chain, and another magazine. I think they replaced the bolt and touched up the barrel, and replaced the cocking handle(with a bigger one) all for free. Now that is customer service. He took it out that weekend and has no problems since.

11. JohnD

JohnD Member

It seem good now, I am not shure if I am going to put a scope on it or just use the open sights.

12. Big 10-4 on the service from Ruger, I've got the same type service from Thompson Center Arms. and Leopold, and Simmons, and Browning. Rolled a 4 wheeler on the Ruger w/ Leopold, both got fixed no questions asked and I told them what happened. Can't beat that with a hammer, "by crackey'.