close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10/22 for home defense

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I know an awful lot of people who only own one gun. more often than not it is a Ruger 10/22. I don't recommend a .22 for home defense but it beats being unarmed. I'll take one over a baseball bat or golf club. I don't like self loading .22s because of misfires, but nobody is going to shrug off a magazine load of high velocity rounds. What do y'all think ?

2. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Well it is so much better than being unarmed. I own 4 Butler Creek 30 round mags for the 10/22. The mags clip together so you have 60 rounds on tap.

3. JohnD

JohnD Member

the 10/22 would work ok for defence if you have ammo that has good penatration and some expantion. Just aim for the neck/ head and one shot should do it. I would pick pentration over expantion because you have a chance of taking out the spine.

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I'm not very good with a stubbed toe. I think a good determined/scared marksman would certainly put me on the floor. If it does jam (not likely with good maintained equipment) use it as a club, it'll still leave a mark!

5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Were I invaded and happened to grab my 10/22 (rather than my Mossberg 590 or SKS), I'd fire four fast shots, one in each limb. I'd expect him to be weak enough to subdue. If he's armed, a head shot'll do.
    But I'd rather go with my 12ga. Two rapid plastic riot shells for the courts... The remainder of my 8 round mag if he doesn't get the point. For multiple intruders: SKS. If they got their hands on Kevlar: M1.

6. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Go to the pawn shop of gun show. Get a cheap side by side 12 gauge.

CUt it down to 18 1/4 inchs and your done!

7. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

But then you don't get the intimidation factor of the classic CHK-CHK. That'll scare away plenty of intruders without firing a shot.

Now on the Simpsons, you see people pumping double barreled shotguns. As though we watched them for their technical accuracy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2002
  8. I don't know how to respond to this without sounding like I know it all....because God knows I don't. But, I'm gonna add my 7 1/2 cents (inflation ya know, lol).

First, I used to teach a home survival course....emphasis was on survival (think about that term) and some on defense and the law as it pertained to this state. .Judges and juries tend to sympathyze with the survival issue over the defense word (hint).

Secondly, you could literally write a book, or several chapters at least, on the subject of home survival/defense. So, I'll try to keep this as short as I can and surely can't cover all the 'what ifs', 'what I'd do is...', etc.

A lot of people under estimate the effectiveness of a .22 but I certainly would not recommend a rifle (or a shotgun....more on that later) for home defense.

In any home situation survival is first...defense comes later if needed. And, with that, the idea of surviving is making yourself NOT a target and making the intruder come to you and be on the defense...rather than you. I can't tell you the number of times people are killed or injured investigating noises in garages, outside, etc.

It would take too much time and space here to explain it all but IF, IF, IF you must move within the house (in escape attempts) or go after the intruder with ANY long or medium barreled rifle or shotgun, the barrel will, 99% of the time, go before you. And, going around the corner, what do they see first? What can they grab first? The barrel.

IF, IF, IF you must move with a rifle or shotgun stay close to the floor (the intruder will likely be looking at eye level for you) and listen to their movements and the noises they might make..know where they are at in relationship to you home. The added second could mean the difference in a trial or a funeral.

Remember, in most home intrusions the intruders are on a mission and the mission is ripping you off. Most homeowners are killed or injured because they either startle the intruders, make themselves unnecessarily known or want to become heroes and confront the heroes. I don't know about anyone else but providing for my family is far more important than trying to confront someone. Them cashing in your life insurance is NOT providing for your family.

I suggest use a weapon you know you can shoot and hit the target with. Stay with that...but I recommend no rifle or shotgun.
    Since adrenaline is flowing like the Mississippi during a spring thaw, your tendency might be to rush him/her.....try to get past them to a door, 'get the fop' on them etc. My advice is to seek refuge on the back side of the bed on the floor or in the shower with the curtain closed. Most intruders will instinctively go to your closets. Then, do what you have to do if confronted.

And, just like practicing a fire evacuation......practice surviving a home intrusion.

This is very short and there is a lot, not not lot....a tremenedous amount, more to surviving a home intrusion.

My thoughts are that if you convince a jury you did everything to avoid confrontation and then.....bamm!....you had to do what you had to do you will probably walk every time. (and btw, any good Attorney will persure the confrontation avoidance issue).

9. Armorer

Armorer Guest

>>>but I recommend no rifle or shotgun.<<<

I have to disagree. Going back to the weapon is a tool thing I preach.

A riot style shotgun or short side by side, this IS the mission of these firearms. I carried a 870 Rem overseas for clearing door to door. I would have no other weapon.

One handed In the dead of night, sleeping or rudely awakened. There is no aiming, no high volicity round going thru several walls of outside.

Handguns can be dropped, wrestled away by the intruder, AND have to be loaded, cocked, unlocked, etc.

I pump shotgun, just the sound of a round being chambered will echo thru a house and get any wouldbe thief running.

The idea is to get that person/people OUT of your home. NOT to engage in combat with him/them.

10. JohnD

JohnD Member

When you pump the shotgun and the bad guy hears you he will know where you are. I think it is best to stay quiet and surprise him when he opens that door. A 12 gage would be realy loud and you may suffer hearing damage.

11. Armorer,

If you noticed in my post I mentioned LONG barelled rifle or shotgun.

There are as many schools of thought on home survival/defense as there are thoughts on politics.

I still believe in handguns....easier to carry and manuever with. A lot of the decision has to do with situation....children in home (accessability to a weapon or possible victim of gun fire)....weapon already loaded....etc. And I would admire anyone that can handle a pump action gun, or any rifle or shotgun for that matter, when their good arm is disabled. I know I couldn't...accurately anyway. That's why I prefer the handgun....I can shoot either handed if needed.

I can see the advantages of a short barelled shotgun but the eyes of the public (who will undoubtedly sit in judgement of you on a jury) will hear the word 'SHOTGUN'......I only make the point that part of surviving a home intrusion MAY also include surviving the judicial system. And, a criminal trial, these days, are not the real scare. It's the civil actions where only a fraction of the truth can mean you pay big, big bucks.

I guess what I'm saying is protecting yourself and your family is very important......indeed! But there's more these days to protecting yourself. Protecting yourself means surviving the system to the end. That is getting harder to do when you consider most juries are going to be around 45 percent liberals (and in the case of a case handled by a Judge it 's nearly 55 percent). Those too facts are odds I would rather not have to deal with. And, please, don't be disillusioned to think that 12 jury members' or the Judge's personal views don't come into play. It does. Simple fact.

And, I will be the first to agree any weapon is better than none at all.

I see and respect your opinion and point of view. Mine just differs a little is all.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2002
  12. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I agree with the safe room tactic and not looking for trouble. I own NOTHING worth getting in a gun fight over. I'm 50/50 on the weapon choice. I guess it is what training dictates and what works. Gotta agree a "long bbl shotgun" could be a hinderance. I actually like my son's 20ga Mossberg youth model Bantam. Short and handy but lethal. I stoke 7.5 AA's Plenty lethal in the 10'~15' range I would encounter. I always have fresh ammo because i can rotate them out on clays, birds, etc. beats standing in line buying Buck etc. all the time.
    I've done some extensive research from several, Ayoob etc.. like Dale i don't claim to be the expert but i know it will work for me and that's what counts.

13. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I wasn't saying I chose a 10/22 as my Primary home defense weapon. My carry 3 inch round butt Smith 65 (6 rounds of .357 magnum hollowpoint) will do for me until I can get the trigger lock off of my Beretta 12 gauge semi automatic. I merely stated that I know people who only own own gun....more often than not it is a .22 (10/22 carbines predominantly)

14. I got ya 'dad'.

I see where ya coming from now. If the 10/22 is all someone has then that's the best thing. I misread and thought there was a choice involved.

When one gun is the issue the choice is to live and you do what ya got to do.....in that case I would give 'em hell the best I could with what I had...fer sure.

But if I had (and I do) several choices the handgun is still my choice......yepper.

15. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it. By the way my son's name is Logan & I am very proud of him. My tribe will pay for him to go to college.

16. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I believe jeff cooper once said "Placement" is the first point to consider...a 22 to the head beats a 44 mag in the floor....Same thing..a 22 in your hand beats sitting their with a realy stupid look on your face when they come through the door. When we first got married $$ was super tight on an e-4s budget...the first pistol I had $ to get was a JEnings 22....like I said beats nothing. Over the years when $$ imporved we picked up more toys and biger toys...but for now a 10/22 with good ammo .. I prefer Quik-Shok...will defitly mess up someones day...especialy if you hit them as opposed to just makeing a lot of noice and shooting the roof. Are their better options sure..and even that is debated unto no end...

17. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

cool avatar Doglips....That's really funny.
    I just wanted to illustrate that a 10/22 (or any .22) is better than a putter or a baseball bat

18. GoGop

GoGop G&G Newbie

If a .22 was to be used for defense I'd suggest using Stingers. They'll do the damage needed, but if you miss they'll fragment in wall giving less of a chance of hitting someone in the next room.

19. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i think the 10/22 would be a great defense gun .i'm good with hand guns i do a lot of art work and a steady hand is perfect for shootin. and if some one came into my house i would like to take them out but i would also worry about useing too powerfull of a rifle or hand gun because of the fact it can go through a attacker and then the wall and into a familly memberso a 10/22 would be a good round to use if you'r a good shot.

20. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I just ordered a Choate pistolgrip stock for my 10/22...I already have a Williams peep sight.