10/22 front sight problem

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by smokingbunny357, Sep 1, 2010.

1. smokingbunny357

smokingbunny357 G&G Newbie

I just got a new 10/22 for my birthday about 3 weeks ago. I finally had a chance to take it to the range yesterday. After shooting about a hundred rounds through it i laid it down on the table. My buddy was going to shoot it next but after he shouldered it he laid it down quickly. i asked him what was wrong and he said, "You're front sight is laying on the ground." It seems as if the front sight just fell off unprovoked. i dusted it off and put it back on but had a hard time getting it to stay on. It fell off again before we left.
    So now I'm wondering if i should send it back to Ruger, try to get it to stay on with some kind of adhesive or just go get new tru-glo sights. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

If it slides out of the dovetail , there are several easy fixes for that...
    Best fix is either a slight peen on the dovetail ears, then tap in the sight,
    or install the sight and center punch the front ear once or twice to lock the sight in. Or , you can center punch the bottom flat of the sight a few times which will raise the metal a bit where it sits in the bottom of the dovetail.
    Or, a small amount of Red Loctite , or clear silicone will hold the sight in place.