10/25 Did You Know?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Huey Rider, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

In 75 percent of American households the woman manages the money and pay the bills.

PAPA G, jerry, rangerjd and 2 others like this.

2. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Naw, I trained my wife right!:rolleyes:

Seriously, first 3 years, no checking account & I carried the cash (what little it was). When she received her allotment check, it went to pay the rent & what little was left went on groceries. I was paid in cash & kept it in my pocket.

Math was not her strong suit, so when we moved back home & got around to setting up a checking account, I was forced to take it over about the 2nd month! With that, I inherited paying the bills also!:(

PAPA G and neophyte like this.
  3. rangerjd

rangerjd G&G Evangelist

If it wasn't for my wife, nothing would get paid. lol I work hard, make good money, and know how to spend it really well. hahaha My wife makes sure most of the bills are paid, I take care of a few, but I have been trying to learn more about what bills we have lately. God help me if she goes first.

4. I made a point to be the one who pays the bills. I've got the apps on my phone, set the passwords and then gave Hubby a copy so he has them just in case. Then I set them up with either automatic bill pay or email reminders. He gets a copy of all the statements so he can see it all.

The one bill we pay in person is the utility bill. It's a combined electric, water, sewer and trash pickup bill and we pay it directly to the town. I make sure he pays it in person every month.

5. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Evangelist

When I was dating my wife my CPA brother told her the first time they met "If you get married the first thing to do is take away his checkbook and take over the finances!".

On the way to the apartment after the wedding I handed her the checkbook. She took over that night!

27 years later we have a cushion in the account, all bills get paid on time, we have not had a credit card balance carried over in 18 years, and I have better toys than before I was married.

I do get my allowance of $5.00 a week (covers 4 sodas at work), but anything I need or want is paid by my eBay/antique mall sales. If I want to slack off on my sales, I can, but I also can't buy any ammo or such. Keeps me away from the TV.

If I do "need" a new gun, we discuss it, and I usually get my wish.

After Christ, she is the best thing to ever happen in my life!

6. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Had the automatic pay with Suddenlink. Had some unauthorized charges on my credit card, so the bank cancelled it & issued a new card. Called Suddenlink to give them the new number & they claimed they couldn't accept it over the phone. Advised me to do it on line. The reason we were on auto pay was having problems with their stupid website, so I told them no, just put me on the mailing list & we'd pay the old fashioned way. Been trying to get a bill mailed to me since April!!

When I didn't get a bill, figured I'd get a call to find out why, but no, they just shut everything off! Called them & find out they WILL take a card number on the phone to pay a bill, along with a $10 charge to do it!:(

Have called twice more & have been told that it's setup. Still didn't get one for this month, so called & they claim it was mailed to wrong address! IF I get one next month, I'll be two months behind, but he told me I would not be cut off again.

After all this, I would never trust them with auto pay EVER again!

7. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

When I was working, it was not uncommon for me to work 10-12 hrs. 6-7 days a week, plus being in the reserves and on flight status. It was difficult to keep up with the bills also, so after 2 years I gave the chore to my wife. She still does it today, all online. Only difference is now we sit down together to do it.

8. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Our household is in the 25%. I have always been the "money manager" in my home, ever since my mother spent my college savings while I was away at college my first year. My second and following years, I had to work three part time jobs while going to school full time, so that I could afford to finish college.

Huey Rider, PAPA G and neophyte like this.