Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
Once upon a time I bought a huge bunch of small candles at a clearance sale, hundreds of them. I have carried them in the trucks as a survival item in case I get stranded in the winter.

I am thinking they would work in that stove, they are 2 inches diameter and one inch tall, maybe 4 in that box would work. Fill the stove with them and throw in a couple Bic lighters and a metal cup and a couple of those one time coffee bags and good to go. Learned something today thanks.

Resident Curmudgeon
Haven't thought about it but I imagine a few pieces of charcoal would work well.
I was just thinking, "I wonder what would happen if you put one of those pre-primed Kingsford charcoal briquettes under there and lit it off?" It would take awhile to get going, but once it did it might heat better than the Sterno.

Resident Curmudgeon
I wish I could remember how Dad showed me you could make a stove out of a C-ration can. I seem to remember you cut six triangular holes in the side near the intact bottom of the can at about 60 degree intervals using the P-38 can opener, and three more at the open top to vent it. You burned trioxane tablets in it, I think. He said they used to heat water for coffee in a canteen cup that way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was just thinking, "I wonder what would happen if you put one of those pre-primed Kingsford charcoal briquettes under there and lit it off?" It would take awhile to get going, but once it did it might heat better than the Sterno.
Possible, but since I carry it in my work truck I don't always have a lot of time to wait on stuff to heat up. Sterno just seems quicker for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I wish I could remember how Dad showed me you could make a stove out of a C-ration can. I seem to remember you cut six triangular holes in the side near the intact bottom of the can at about 60 degree intervals using the P-38 can opener, and three more at the open top to vent it. You burned trioxane tablets in it, I think. He said they used to heat water for coffee in a canteen cup that way.
Yeah, there are a number of videos on this using coffee cans and old style can openers.

Registered
Or you can make a quart of coffee at home in the microwave and put it in an Aladdin thermos before you leave home.

Reactions: neophyte

Wonderment :)
adding:

I remember having to eat my C-Ration meal cold because we were either on the move or rushed to leave in the mornings. Honestly, the scrambled egg chunks or beans and weenies weren鈥檛 bad cold, but the rest needed to be heated in order to be palatable. Heating the meals and water required a small stove (see article below) with Sterno tabs or C-4 plastic explosive, the later burning very hot and fast 鈥 preferred for quick meals. The C-4 was safe to use as long as it wasn鈥檛 compressed or using too much at one time

Black Wood Style Black-and-white Tableware

Premium Member
Played around in the garage today and tested what I call my 10 minute stove. One electrical outlet box, four screws and a small can of Sterno. I can heat a small can of water in about 5 minutes. Install the screws in the four tabs on the box, knock out the inserts on the bottom and away you go. for your info folks. I call it my truck stove.
My outlet keeps melting.

Resident Curmudgeon

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
One or two of those in a tuna can or even cat food can would probably work well

21 - 39 of 39 Posts