close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10 Rnd Magazines for 7400

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Peter, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Peter

Peter G&G Newbie

Any 10 rnd mags available for 7400 auto in 30-06? Reliable or junk? Thanks- Peter.

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

They exist, in plastic and metal varieties. I hear metal are better. Considered getting such a rifle and mags, but am getting a Garand instead.

3. Peter

Peter G&G Newbie

Garand might be a possibility, too. Is there a lite (@ 7.5 lbs) version anywhere?

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

There is a shortened version with a long pronged flash hider, but I think they're a little rare and pricey. Drawback of the M1 for hunting purposes is that it's hard to scope. I'm new to the Garand, but you could probably get some good answers on the Garand forums.
    As far as I've heard, the metal 10 rounders for the 7400 are fine. Seen them for $20ish. If you're hunting non-dangerous game, though, the factory 7400 mag is more than you'll use.

5. Peter

Peter G&G Newbie

In this case , dangerous game is the target. Not really hunting just that i do a lot of backpacking in the rockies. Usually I just carry my .44 ruger srh, but i'm planning to visit my cousin in alaska, and he said they've had trouble w/grizzlys at his cabin. I've looked at a lot of different options and I think i'm going w/ a BAR or rem 7400 in .308 or 30-06. I'd prefer the BAR, but they are a bit pricey. I also thought a few more rounds might be nice in the face of a grizz! Ideally i'd like a m1A but only if I can find one under 8lbs and they don't seem to exist. you seem to have a broad experience w/ different guns BRG3, I'm really only into handguns. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6. [​IMG]
    This what you're looking for?
    :^)
    Bob/AK

7. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

Does that synthetic stock beat up your face as bad as it did mine? I strongly disliked the 7400. The trigger was atrocious, the stock (IMO) was poorly designed and the bolt, well, that's another story altogether.

You may have a different experience.

I don't recommend 30-06 or .308 for Grizzly's either. 30-06 is fine for moose. Grizzly, I'd go heavier. Like .338 Mag.

Just my .02 cents.

8. Peter

Peter G&G Newbie

BoB/AK--That's exactly what I had in mind. What kind of magazine is that? is that the carbine model? What caliber? How do you like it? How often does it jam? Sorry about all the q's but I've never shot one.

9. Double D

Double D G&G Newbie

SOCAL
    I know this is the remington forum and I agree with the person who said .338 is better, but hav e you considered a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 or a .450M? plenty of bear bustin' power, easy to scope and only weighs 7 pounds before scope, and since you won't be taking shots over 100 yds anyway its more than accurate enough.

10. rich5674

rich5674 G&G Newbie

I had a 7400 with plastic 10rnd mags in 308. Gun was always reliable and a fairly light kicker .Actually used the gun with a Williams peep sight in NRA high power competion

11. rich5674

rich5674 G&G Newbie

PS on Garands

If you can locate Rowland Beaver he can put a foward mounted scope on a Garand

12. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG G&G Newbie

Millett makes 10 round mags. Haven't used them, so I can't comment on quality.

13. I have a Sportsman 74 Auto (not 7400, the 74 was a cheapo version that preceeded it) in 30-06 and I have a USA 10 round clip (all steel) for this gun. The gun shoots flawlessly. It has never once jammed or failed to feed, never, the hold open works perfectly with the USA mag (and the Remington also), the gun is a lot more accurate than my 1903A3 and it is also a lot more pleasant to shoot even w/o a recoil pad. (better than the Garand also by a long shot despite the lighter weight of the 74)
    I do have the special tool sold by Brownells for dismounting the barrel and I did give the gun a really good cleaning after I bought it used. I'd recommend the tool strongly.
    BTW I also have a 45/70 Marlin 1895, handload for it, and would take the 74 any day for grizzly or anything else. You can hit with the 74 at range, several times if needed.

14. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Enthusiast

MS
    The 7400 is junk. Go with the pricey BAR you mentioned previously (how much is your life worth?). You can get the BAR in .338 Win Mag. The Marlin 45/70 someone mentioned would also be a good choice.

For protection from bears, you might have time to use three rounds but not 10! Those bears move pretty fast. Spray and pray ain't the answer - one or two well placed powerful rounds is much better. The 7400 (not reliable) is not a rifle I would bet my life on! A BAR or Marlin lever gun in a suitable caliber- yea I would bet my life on that! If you like Remington, check out the model 673 in .350 rem mag. It was made to do what you are talking about. It is a bolt action, but like I said one or two good hits beats 10 missed. Think reliability – especially in a cold wet climate!

Have fun up there! I am jealous!

15. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack G&G Newbie

I have to agree whit this. I had one and once it was below 35deg , it would constantly jam. Even my cousin who had one also had the same problem. No matter how well it was cleaned and oiled, it would jam in cold. Really sucks when you need a follow up shot and nada.

And if I was having problems with grizzleys, I'd have the semi-auto version of this......

Attached Files: