Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at cheap centerfire rifles and the 2 that appeal to me most are the Mossberg 100 ATR and the Savage Stevens 200 I believe its called. I've heard that the Savage shoots like a dream but the stock is hideous, which 1 do you prefer?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Savage.. you can paint the stock.
I painted my m700 sythetic stock with plastic paint then clearcoated it.. roughed it a little, lasted great, looks great.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I would take the Stevens, it may not be the prettiest rifle in the world, but It'll probably outshoot the Mossberg, and you could always paint the ugly gray stock green or something.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Sucks.. tried several kinds.. all wear unevenly and the sticky stuff wears down to a sticky residue.
Yup, I have had the same disastrous results when dealing with camo tape. I now use paint, if one of my guns need a change of color.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
i hate that tape!
icky ,sticky, gooey!

·
Registered
83 Posts
rick343

I have a 200 and refinished the stock with Krylon Camo spray paint. The paint is ultra flat and when done right it looks great. I sanded all the mold lines out of the stock with a vibrator sander and then sanded the entire stock with the vibrator, even the checkering. I sanded the stock with steel wool between coats, and put 4 coats of paint on it. Wow, did it turn out great. Super paint too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I LOVE my 200! It is the best looking gun, but the stock is synthetic so it will take a beating. Mine is in .223 since I just started shooting, but I would love to have one in a bigger cal. later on.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i'd buy the stevens. the stock is crap(more than just the color), but is upgradeable if you ever desire. put simply, its a good value.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I wish someone would buy the Mossburg so we could get some field reports on them.On the other hand the stevens/Savage would be the way I would go because they have been tryed. sam.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
Go with the Stevens, they are a great. Good gun to build into a custom rifle. Mossberg is too new compared to the Stevens. I love my .308!

·
Registered
4 Posts
stevens short 308

This is a all around great rifle! Also the trigger is amazing. you might want to sand the stock a little by the checkering.The 308 short is the best by I have ever found only $300. The Scope never gets loose on ya.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
VP,

Thanks for the thread...

...some good info to help me in my desires to/to not buy an ATR, and what other affordable options are out there...like the Stevens 200.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Stevens 200

IMHO the Stevens 200 is the way to go. Krylon solves the stock issue. Beyond that the action is so versitile you can "switch-barrel" to anything your heart desires. I have 3; 250/3000,257 Roberts .and 220 Swift!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I'd opt for the Stevens as you can switch barrels quite readily as long as the ctg is of the same length, ie .243, .308, 7-08, .358....

·
Registered
318 Posts
the stevens 200 is basicly the old savage 110 without the acu-trigger. A solid design, American made, with a long history of being accurate and reliable. Doubt if you would need it but parts available from several sources.....

i'm in the dark about the atr..........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts