Gun and Game Forum banner

Which bullet/caliber would you choose 1000 of?

1000 bullets for free, just pay the shipping.

5K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  GlockMeister 
#1 · (Edited)
If you would be getting 1000 bullets, for reloading, from purchasing a Hornady AP Press, out of these choices, which would you get? Obviously Hornady brand bullets.

223? 55gr SP Retail value $171.30

9mm? 115Gr HP/XTP Retail value $213.30

38/357? 125Gr HP/XTP Retail value $216.50

10mm/40S&W? 180Gr HP/XTP Retail value $274.30
or
45? 230Gr HP/XTP Retail value $289.60

#2 · (Edited)
I'd definitely go for .45 caliber, (.458 diameter) for my .45-70. Although, I'd rather have 1,000 Barnes .45 Caliber (.458 Diameter), Triple-Shock X-Bullets, 500 Grain Flat Base. ($1,374.50)

If I had to go with Hornady, first choice would be Hornady .45 Caliber (.458 Diameter) Dangerous Game Expanding Bullets, 480 Grain Soft Point. ($979.80)

After that would be one of their 350 gr bullets.

230 gr bullets for my .45 would be way down the line. I can get cheap bullets elsewhere.

#5 ·
I appreciate the voting guys/gals. I'll post mine near the end. I'll give a hint. I'll probably pick the one that if I have to buy them, they'd cost me the most.

I'll will say one that I probably won't pick and why. I probably won't be picking the .223. Why, because that to me, this is a round I'd more or less be shooting 100 yards or more and would prefer maybe having the choice to get something more suited for that. I could be wrong. But I mean for/in .223, maybe a Speer boattail or something? Yea/no? lol

I did call them and ask if they'd split the 1000, knowing they probably wouldn't but figuring it can't hurt to ask anyhow. I was asking then if they'd do something like 500 of one and 500 of another. lol No go.

I guess if you get there dies, which I am, will be an did, I can get I think 100 for each of those? I'll have to check for sure. So who knows, maybe I'll get some of each of them? But for the 1000, I'd like to see what everyone else would do?

#11 ·
Ander254, I already ordered the stuff. I am going all out. I sold a car I've had for years and want to replace it with another hobby, or two. lol Anyhow, I figured I'll never have this chance again so I went for it. I have it on hold, to only ship complete. There's like 8 items on B/O.

I only tell you this because I think you should go for it. No time like the present. Ammo is NOT getting any cheaper.

Again, I'll post my vote near the end. I already know what I'll be getting. Just wanted to see if I'm right in my thinking is/was all?

#16 ·
UH HUH! wink wink. LOL
But it you're serious, dude, you have got to get some more that shoot other ammo. lol
no im serious! im more of a rifle guy than pistol. i only have 2 pistols, one in 9mm and the other in 380. and i also dont have a 223 rifle, i have a 5.45x39 and i have 7.62x39 & x54 and other but 9mm is the only thing on the list you made that i have. and my next to guns are going to be a cz52=7.62x25 and the nagont revelver=32long

#17 ·
the 45 caliber bullets i received were 230 xtp 451 diameter. a lot of psp , no fmj, very limited selection, but for the range,
i used the rebate for 357 , 9mm and 45 , nothing fancy, range ammo , all i used them for,
6.95 per 100. 14.95 per 500. i believe, rates just went up . 1000. no idea on freight.

#18 · (Edited)
They let you mix and match joegun94? Or did you buy more then one Hornady item and mixed them up that way?I'm going to see if they can combine shipping. I doubt they will, but if I've got multiple items coming to the same address, I think they should, especially if the rebates are all in the same envelope? We/I shall see?

And Yes, you are correct on the shipping fees. $21.95 for S&H on the 1000 bullets. I can kind of see why, that's a little bit of weight there. Then the insurance for he dollar amount...

#19 ·
I only tell you this because I think you should go for it. No time like the present. Ammo is NOT getting any cheaper.

Yeah now is not the best time for me. My "wants" greatly exceed my resources. Being in the middle of law school greatly puts a damper on the wallet.:sad2: If I get an job over the summer I might fill some of the wants, like a nice CCW and maybe a 1911 to play with.

#22 ·
no mix and match, very limited selection, although some people may say good, for me, i was not familiar with thtem, so i just used them at the range, a lot of pistol bullets atr hp, xtp just the basic stuff, but a freebie . take what you can now, prices are sure to skyrocket. no free shipping these days.

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah now is not the best time for me. My "wants" greatly exceed my resources. Being in the middle of law school greatly puts a damper on the wallet.:sad2: If I get an job over the summer I might fill some of the wants, like a nice CCW and maybe a 1911 to play with.
I can completely understand and relate. I think at sometime or another, we all have been there. Good thing is, this offer is good or lasts until 12/31/2008. So maybe your finances will change before then. Also, if you'll be getting some or any of the rebate in May or June, maybe you can put it towards that? I mean it's tight now so buying ammo must even be rough, so in the long run, it will pay for itself.

Either way, again, I can relate ander254...

Last fall, when I bought my Hornady L-N-L press, I got 1,000 240 gr .44 bullets for free with the deal...and Hornady covered the shipping of bullets with the press.
Well I'm not buying direct from Hornady. In NOT doing so, I found the press for like $110.00 bucks less and the dies for less also. What will kill me will be the shipping. And even though I can send all the rebates to them in one envelope, they won't combine shipping costs.

So, for the 1000 bullets, it'll cost me $21.95. Then if I decide to, and because of the cost of shipping, I might not, but for each die set I can get 100 free bullets. And that's $6.95 for each 100. And I got 6 die sets. So in total I can get 1,600 free bullets, but the shipping for all will be $63.65. I mean I know they're heavy, but I mean come one. They could give even a $10.00 break but NOOOOOOO. lol So I'm not quite sure if I'll get all 1,600 or not.

And again, thanks to all who've voted and given there input so far. I do greatly appreciate it...

#25 ·
Your input is still appreciated JAC.
And I'm probably going to cut the poll short as I've gotten the answer I expected. However, I'll post this so it goes to the front page one more time and then when it disappears, I'll add my vote. This way, any on now that may not have seen it will have a chance to let me know their choice...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.