Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying out some of my 10mm auto loads today. I was taking aim at a coconut about 20 yds. away and this iguana steps out in the lane.
the first shot hit the head but he was still flopping around so I shot 3 more times and only connected once.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man with a 10MM. It was like getting hit by lightning. Them things any good for baiting the crab pots Blaster.?
naw, I tried a bunch of them once. the crabs wouldn't eat them and they really stunk when I pulled the traps the next week. I have eaten them before when in Honduras. it was delicious. I tried to cook some here and they were not so good. now I just leave them to the buzzards.

·
Wonderment :)
32,914 Posts
blaster: Sir; I shared my experience - exposure from a couple years ago 😁
while we were there (Marathon Key)
our neighbor had a pellet rifle. Ping dead iguana. 😃.
me knowing they are an invasive 😳. I thought 😜 I’m getting me a pellet rifle
Neighbor advised. It was illegal 🙈 to kill anything

dagnabit.
He took me on a couple sneak mid-day hunts. 😃.
Those things blend well in brush. Camouflage wow
We discussed (me) using them for fish bait.
Him. Nothing eats them (he’s a fisherman)

Most interesting; he pointed out; Red flowers. Find Red flowers. You’ve found iguana
As we rode around. I did see a lot of these creatures.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the rules on shooting iguanas down here are dumb. some people love the iguanas running around eating all the plants and crapping all over everything. others hate them with a passion. you are allowed to shoot them with pellet rifles but are supposed to kill them "humanly" . meaning head shots. a few years ago a guy got in big trouble because he had to shoot one a bunch of times before it died. his goofy neighbor (who feeds the iguanas) called the law on him. the bunny hugging liberals all got their panties in a wad and they made an example out of the poor guy. the iguanas have taking over all the islands. they swim as good as an alligator. they have few enemies and their camouflage is superb. when the hawks migrate down here in the Winter, they eat a lot of the small ones and when we get a rare cold snap it will kill some but other than that, its paradise down here for them. what gets me is the people who immigrate here from Central America won't bother eating them. in their Countries, iguanas are hunted to almost extinction and are a favorite local delicacy. (they know how to cook them and it really is good!) but when those people get over here, they are suddenly "too good" to eat iguanas.

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
naw, I tried a bunch of them once. the crabs wouldn't eat them and they really stunk when I pulled the traps the next week. I have eaten them before when in Honduras. it was delicious. I tried to cook some here and they were not so good. now I just leave them to the buzzards.
I have some family that ate them a few times but were on vacation in South America. They said not bad at all. They said if you get offered meat there then it is usually Iguana. They have no other meats really there.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What's the nickname they call Iguanas?

·
Wonderment :)
32,914 Posts
quavodus: Sir; information 😜

Belizeans are known for having a colorful sense of humor which is why the local nickname for the green iguana is “bamboo chicken”. The largest species of lizard in the country, an adult bamboo chicken can measure nearly seven feet in length, although most of the length comes from its enormous tail. The flesh of the “bamboo chicken” is popular in Belize and used for many local recipes. Even more popular are the creamy eggs of the green iguana which are considered a true delicacy by local gourmands.
Once heavily hunted for its eggs and meat, today the green iguana is protected by law and the Belize Zoo now organizes several captive breeding programs throughout the country. The native habitat of the green iguana is on tree branches overlooking a river as the lizard will dive into the water when it is startled or threatened by predators.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I could never shoot such a harmless majestic beast. I love iguanas! Now if you said they’re very tasty, I might reconsider...

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like iguanas and other reptiles too. infract some of my escaped pets from when I was a kid probably have contributed to the problem. but when they got so numerous and started eating all the plants and crapping all over everything, its time to start thinning them out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts