Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a 10x12 canvas tarp one made specifically for camping. I would like it to have plenty of grommets and ties . Most of the time I will use it as a A frame configuration that I can close off on both ends . I will also use it for coverage of my bushcraft type shelters that I make . If any of you know of a certain type to get or brand . I would like to here your ideas and recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
Dize Weathermaster Waterproof Canvas Tarp, 10-oz. - 625923, Tarps at Sportsman's Guide
1/2 In. Grommet Installation Kit, 104 Pc. (harborfreight.com)

I have bought 2 that size and one the size smaller. None of them have enough grommets if you are in windy conditions. So, I bought the little grommet kit from Harbor Freight which work fairly well. I have also tried the little plastic clips that clip onto the tarps, they break loose after being in the wind a while.

The only other suggestion I might make is the bigger the tarp the better, especially in winter or heavy rain. FWIW

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice . I was thinking even. 12x12 not a whole lot bigger. Still bigger none the less .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
check out your local ace hardware.
last one I bought was like 100 bucks, but it held up well for a floor under and in front of the tent out camping.
then made it through a couple of winters as a boat cover without me pushing the snow off it.
it's probably be up and running but I tore it on one edge and it gave up the ghost [actually I ended up with two @ 6'x12' tarps]

Reactions: neophyte

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Depends on how you pack your gear. I am usually on foot and pack minimal. For me I carry lightweight tarps and use the clamshell type tarp clips to allow me to place a tie-down point wherever I need it. For moose camp where I am riding in on a machine, I may bring a heavier cotton tarp with me - again, I still use the tarp clips because those damn grommets either break or they are not exactly where I need them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts