close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

11 April 1986

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dean Speir, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Dean Speir

Dean Speir G&G Newbie

Last Thursday was the 16th anniversary of the fabled FBI-Miami Firefight in which an eight-man rolling stake-out squad was shot to pieces by one nightmare-ishly hard guy named Michael Platt. Had his partner-in-crime, William Matix, pulled his own freight in the furious 4½ minute engagement, the cost to the FBI would undoubtedly been greater than two KIA and five WIA.

There have been no less than three TV re-enactments of the 11 April 1986 firefight, none more inept than ABC's half-hour "FBI: The Untold Stories" in 1991, as well as a nicely-produced "in-house" FBI training video with interviews of three of the surviving SAs. A fanciful narrative about the event was also included in the middle of John Ross' epic Unintended Consequences, fictional elements of which… specifically the kinky sex scene between two SAs and a waitress in a South Dixie restaurant… have assumed the mantle of a verity.

One volume, Dr. French Anderson's richly detailed Forensic Analysis of the April 11, 1986, FBI Firefight, which has done a great deal to set the record straight about what actually happened that day, actually caused the Dade County Medical Examiner to revise his official post mortem report.

I've long been a student of that seminal event, even since I caught a fascinating two-hour debriefing by Crime Scene Investigator, Sgt. David Rivers of Metro-Dade PD, in Fall 1987. Using notes from that, plus Dr. Anderson's book and the FBI's own extensive files released under a FOIA request, TGZ has updated its pages, The Ultimate After Action Report! in observance of the anniversary of that violent encounter, and in an effort to correct a couple of unfortunate mis-apprehensions.

2. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson G&G Newbie

Why don't you just go back there and STAY there!

Tim W

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

4. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

Now that wasn't very neighbourly! Interesting to see your contribution to the forums, one post, and a flame at that. Take a hike, pal.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I missed this particular shotout at the time, but was shocked by the east LA shootout later. The perps were taken out in both cases, but the friendly casualties were appalling. If the LEO's had such problems with these crazies, imagine the carnage they could do to the unarmed citizenry if they chose. But then cornered animals do fight back savagely.
    It'll be debated forever what the LEO's could've/should've done. I commend those officers who put themselves in harms way, to take those types out of circulation.

:cop:

6. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

I remember reading Ayoob's article when it was first published, and then talking with some LEO associates, who were in the process of acquiring S&W 645s. Shortly thereafter, the entire city police were equipped with Glocks in 40 S&W.

The funny thing about all this is, although the 9mm seems to have been ineffectual as a manstopper in this case, the 357 mag was for many years the touted king of the one shot stoppers in law enforcement.

Funny how our country's vacillated on the idea that "bigger is better" vs. "more ammo please". There was the 45 colt (late 1800s), then we went to 38 (Spanish American war), then back to 45 acp(Moro indian wars) , then back to 9mm (Nato, Law enforcement), then back to 45 acp (law enforcement), then back to 9mm (Desert Storm) w/ 40 S&W as a compromise.

I think you should shoot the most powerful round you can handle, and practice practice practice.

7. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

What happened with the FBI shootout was horrible AI have seen in in LEO trainings many years ago - and I was reminded of it everytime I had a alarm call. The key function is that LEO's learned something from this such as that Vests should be worn always versus it just being in the car, Ammo should be the same throughout the agency, magazines should be secured on the person and accessable not in the glove box.

L.A. was a different story the whole incident would have been stopped with a single highpower rifle. Due to L.A.'s policies nothing hotter than a shotgun with slug is permissable. Yes the 9mm wasn't effective against those guys and afterward many agencies went to the 40 or the 45. I was so glad at that time to work for an agency that allowed you to carry any rifle you chose and could qualify with thats why if it were to happen in the county I worked in the bad guys would have caught either a 223 or a 308 from any of us on shift.

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

After the LA shootout, HCI tried to file charges against the owner of a gun store for giving LAPD officers AR-15's, and Ruger Mini-14's without going through the ICS background check. Had the officers involved been better equipped, the whole fiasco wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes. And, to think that the LAPD still won't allow a high-powered rifle in the cruiser. I have a friend who's a cop in LA, and he said that almost all of the officers would love to have a rifle, especially an AR-type rifle, but the LAPD won't authorize them, as they are on the "Black List" of firearms, and it would "present a military-type appearence to the public". Go figure.

:rolleyes: