Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody hunt with 12 gauge? I was wondering what the range is for deer with a 12 gauge. I have a friend that wants to go hunting with me I only have one rifle, I wouldn't mind getting another but if not I would consider the 12. any suggestions Thanks

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,902 Posts
As far as you can connect accurately on a consistant basis. This will be different for each individual. TJ & Lefty are right on on what you may expect for maximum distance. Personally, I'm good for 65-75 yards.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
A good slug gun can reach out to 100.....possibly 125 yards, like was said before, it all depends on the shooter's ability.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
That's all we can use here. With a rifled slug barrel I am comfortable out to 100 yards. I dont know that I really ever have the need for a longer shot. Most are like 40 yards.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Like was said 100 yd for a rifled barrel but if you are shooting rfiles slugs out of a smooth bore barrel the 50-75 yd range is more like it. They just are not accurate enough. They can still kill long past that range but hitting what you're aiming at is the problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have smoked 1 gal milk jugs at 100yds, open sites, with my slug gun. But I am one of those err on the side of caution and humanity people so with a live animal I stick to 75yds. Long blood trails make me sad. :sad2:

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
You need to be sure your shotgun is o.k. for use with slugs, too. Also, what type of sights are on it?

·
Registered
997 Posts
TxImpalaClone I think you need to take a paper plate and start at 30 yards. Fire a group. Put it out at 5 yard increments. When you fail to keep your group inside the paper plate you are not going to humanely kill a deer and have reached your limit with that gun. It's a crude method but I think gives a guy an idea of his and the guns potential.

Different slugs are more accurate. Yours might like the cheap ones or it might like the expensive ones.

My State has a slug only zone in the bottom half. With a scope I would make a 100 yard shot. But without the scope...humanely 50 yards is it for me.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Slightly off topic here, but can you shoot rifled slugs in a rifled shotty barrel? Or do you use the sabot slugs (or whatever). I'm new to this scene, but since my brothers moved to Indiana, I can't rifle hunt with them there and I'm not into BP.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Slightly off topic here, but can you shoot rifled slugs in a rifled shotty barrel? Or do you use the sabot slugs (or whatever). I'm new to this scene, but since my brothers moved to Indiana, I can't rifle hunt with them there and I'm not into BP.
Yes. Some rifled slugs shoot as good or better in rifled barrels than some sabots.Of course lead slugs will lead riflings up and it is harder to deal with than plastic sabots.I still lean toward using sabots altho i have used slugs with complete satisfaction. sam.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have hunted with an Ithaca Mod 37 12ga 20" cyl. bore barrel for 30+ plus years. I shot Federal 1.25 foster type slugs for most of those years but in the last 10 I switched to Winchester 1 oz. slugs. I just couldn't handle the recoil anymore with the Federals. These smooth bores aren't the most accurate guns out there. If the gun has any choke it gets worse. Cyl. bore and Improved cyl are best. I have never shot at a deer passed 65-70 yards with this gun. Most shots were under 40 yards. I bow hunt so I set up the same with maybe twice the yardage. I can't comment to much on rifled shotguns. They claim 100+ yards but any I've seen are all over the target at 100 yards if they even hit it. Like I said before, hunt like your bow hunting and that shotgun is deadly.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
From what I understand, you shouldn't shoot rifled slugs in a rifled bore. Basically you get your rifling from the bore or the slug, not both. The rifled slug wasn't designed for rifled bores and will probably spin erratically.

There are smooth bore slug barrels that have rifled sites and are designed for just such a purpose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Friday evening, 5 minutes before close of the day, I took a 7 pointer with my Remington 870, rifled barrel using Hornaday SST Sabot slugs. Sighted in at 25 yards they rise 2.7" at 50, 2.4 at 100 and dead on at 150. Mine was sighted in at 50 since that is usually the max distance I would shoot. My little 7 was out about 165 and I aimed just a little high since I figured the sabot would just be starting to level out. The kill came with a through and through lung shot. He dropped within 10 yards of the hit. I am smart enough to realize that it was still at least 75% luck and was willing to pay the piper and search all night (or all the next day) if needed to find the wounded deer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts