Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Iowa we must use shotgun for deer. For the past few years I have been hunting shotgun deer season with my Bird gun and rifled slugs. This year I purchased a Winchester 1300 Defender for a good price. It has an 18'' barrel and extended mag tube. I have been considering using it for deer season this year, What do you guys think? Is the 18'' barrel too short. Will I have lost accuracey and range. Will the slug hit with less of a punch? My thought is more rounds and a smaller easier to manuver package but I just don't know if it would be a good gun or not.

I know I would be better off getting a slug gun but that isn't in the cards right now, I have to get some other guns and gun related things first!

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If you can shoot that 18" bbl accurately out to 50yds standing offhand it should work great for you.If,due to the shorter distance between the sights it isnt quite as accurate for you,that can be remedied with a low powered scope.The difference in power between 18"and24" isnt that noticeable until you go for long rang like 75to100yds.The biggest drawback with short barrels is barrel flip or jump which is greater with shorter barrels.Planning on a followup shot to me isnt the way to go when hunting.Make sure the first one is right and you wont have to make those wild backup shots. sam.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
jashoffa If you have some Pawn and Gun stores/shops near by they might have a used barrel better suited for your purpose. Check and see and you maybe can buy it cheap.
Good Luck feller we'll be waiting for a Deer hunting story...A.H

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an old Hi Standard Riot 20-6 model (former law enforcement shotgun; 12 guage, 20" barrel, 5+1 capacity) and I consider it to be the perfect "swamp gun." It's light, short and simple. Your 1300 should be fine for deer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
There are aftermarket slug barrels available for the 1300, Not too pricey. I have one on my 1200, the forerunner of the 1300

·
Registered
992 Posts
I used the Winchester model 1200 defender, it worked just fine out to 100 meters. As others have stated, barrels can be had at reasonable prices, even a barrel from a five shot model will work with a home made spacer made out of an unsuspecting piece of conduit. I seem to think I had an 18 inch drop at 100 meters with Remington slugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts